135 Gallon Build... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
135 Gallon Build...

Finally, after a very long time of admiring Waywardson's (AC) 150 gal build, I am attempting my first stand build and furniture quality build ever. It isn't going to be as dramatic and gorgeous as his but it will fit my wife's an my style.
Eventually the thread will include the low tech tank build (maybe low/hi tech) but for now I will just log my stand build starting with the dimensional lumber frame built in my newly and slowly building workshop.
Please bear with me since I am working on weekends mostly and the build will be fairly slow. I stay with my 1-year-old son all day and I don't expose him to saw dust since he has heart issues.
But for now here is a shot of the cut lumber and a little corner of my shop. I am currently cutting lap joints to fit the frame together nearly exact as Waywardson's frame build. I'll post shots of the pieces as soon as I finish them all. I am working with a router and cheap tablesaw so work is slow. One thing I noticed while cutting the lap joints is that Waywardson did a fantastic job cleaning his shop before taking pictures. I cut 24 joints and my shop floor looked like a hampster cage (by the way, if anyone wants pine shavings I can bag them up and ship them to you). I guess I have to get my 2HP dust collector attached to my router and tablesaw ASAP to keep the chips from around the shop and out of my lungs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303963089.185538.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	30389
I know, my shop is a little cluttered right now. I am still working on getting it to be fully functional.
Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
Nice
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Almost finished cutting all the lap joints on the 2x4s and will be finishing all the lumber prep this weekend.

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	30469
Lap joinery is much easier on the table saw than the router. It would be even easier with a dado stack but the arbor on my saw is too short for dado cuts.
On a side note, I threw a table saw cabinet together yesterday and purchased the parts needed to complete my dust collection system. I'll post photos of the shop and the stand as the work progresses.
Thanks for looking.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is the design on SketchUp. This is the second time using the program and I find it very useful not to mention fun. However, I am not savvy enough to find out if I can change the format into a JPEG in order to post the actual screen shot.

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	30471
The middle support in the front is a 2x6 all other lumber are 2x4s. I did this so the two 20" doors will not be obstructed. I really only want 2 doors but if anyone can advise me otherwise please do. I don't want the tank to topple over if my design is poor. I have a BS in Math not in Engineering.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
so what are the dimensions of the tank? just two doors should be ok. structurally it looks fine in the sketchup image. Is it going to be skinned with wood? What are the horizontal pieces on the side ends? if structural they will be somewhat redundant if you are putting plywood on the outside as that will reinforce the stand, but there is no harm in overbuilding it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank is 72"x18"x24". The stand frame allows for about 3/16" on each edge of the tank. The supports on the sides are for support and to make sure the frame is equally square and parallel. I will wrap the frame in varying thicknesses of plywood with a thin veneer and trim as a finish.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Built like a tank, you should have no troubles.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Beautiful. Is sketch up an app or a program? Looks pretty good!

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNY911 View Post
Beautiful. Is sketch up an app or a program? Looks pretty good!
Google Sketch is a stand alone program that's free.

http://sketchup.google.com/
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha38 View Post
Google Sketch is a stand alone program that's free.

http://sketchup.google.com/
Here's a stand I designed based around 3/4" plywood

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How did you post that sketch, gotcha?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question

I finished all the milling of the lumber yesterday. I felt compelled to use my marking gauge, chisel, and hammer to make the end joints. I was very pleased with the result. I feel the joints came out cleaner and more accurate this way.

Name:	photo (8).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	30546

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	30549

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	30548

Name:	photo (6).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	30547

I dry fit the top frame and one end isn't perfectly square so I need to do a little more work to fix the issue. I will be doing the dry fit for the front and back frames this week and checking for square then making corrections if needed.

Name:	photo (9).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	30545

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I have been tinkering around with SketchUp for the last few days and I came up with a look that I am going to try to create. The SketchUp is far from perfect but you can get the idea.
I am planning on using Birch Ply (perhaps 1/2" ply with a 1/4" Birch veneer laminated on the front and sides) for the main covering of the aforementioned frame (see earlier post) and Poplar (maybe even cheap-o pine) for the trim (my wife and I are simple folk).

Name:	Aquarium stand finish.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	30725

I am still toying with lots of options for the canopy. I will probably make the entire top hinged and the two front panels (that match the doors of the stand) entire doors so I have lots of space for maintenance. The inside is a different story. I will have to make room for the lights to be mounted or hung.
At the moment, the lumber is still sitting in the garage getting dusty. I am finishing my dust collection for my table saw, router and router table, and floor sweep. Wood dust is pain.
Thanks for looking.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunjin View Post
Since my little boy spent a few hours with Grandma yesterday, I was able to finish all the dry fitting and making adjustments to the joints to make sure all sides were of equal dimension and square. The above picture of the top being dry fit is now glued and screwed. The front and back await the same treatment. Next step is cutting the spacers and adding the bottom 3/4 ply.
On a side note, my dust collection system is nearly complete. I will be connecting all 4" hose to the router and the fence at the table and the floor sweep to the dust separator tomorrow for a complete set up. Pictures will be posted as I finish the framing of the stand and the evolution of my shop.
Thanks for hanging around and commenting on the progress.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is the back of the frame being dry fit. As you see if you look closely, some of the vertical members are not flush with the horizontals. I marked those pieces and fixed that so they are flush now.

Name:	photo (11).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	30913

At the far left is my 20 long emersed growing tank. I will be making a small stand for it soon to get it off my work bench and out of the garage.
Also you see the dust collector at the right and the dust separator in the middle on the trash can. There are not any hoses connected to the separator yet, just on the table saw (not pictured).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode