Katie's Southeast Asian Biotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Katie's Southeast Asian Biotope

Hi Everyone,

I have been keeping planted tanks for the past four years. I moved a few months ago and sold off most of my tanks, and have had the rest of them broken down in the storage room waiting until I had time to start them up again. Well this week I decided to try to get a couple of them going again. I decided to do a southeast asian biotope with this tank because I have never attempted a true biotope before and I thought it would be fun to try something new. Here are the specs:

Tank: Mr. Aqua 7.5g Bowfront
Substrate: Mix of black sand and EcoComplete
Lighting: Hampton Bay 27 Watt Desk Lamp
Filter: Marina S10 Slim Filter
Heater: None since I live in SoCal and temps don't drop very low here
Hardscape: Ghost Wood
CO2: Excel
Ferts: SeaChem NPK and Equilibrium
Temp: 74 degrees

Flora:
6 pots of C. Parva
C. Lutea
Unidentified crypts in the back right corner. If anyone knows what they are please let me know.
C. Spiralis

Fauna:
10 Boraras Brigittae

I am planning on eventually adding a pair of chocolate gouramis and a group of shrimp (possibly crystal reds, though not decided yet). I need for the tank to get much more established first.

I added the rasboras yesterday and they are not colored up completely yet, but are doing well and are eating and swimming actively.

I am still trying to decide what background to add to the tank. I usually go with black, but I am afraid that the chocolate gouramis will just blend right into the background when I add them. Any ideas?

I am thinking of adding some java fern (needle or windelov) to the driftwood that I have floating in my 40 breeder that is acting as my holding tank for fish and plants right now. I would like some opinions on this. Also just fyi, that big rock is in there to hold the driftwood down, and will be removed in a week or so once the wood stops floating.

Anyways, please let me know what you think. I am very open to suggestions and constructive criticism.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.5 gallon scape and planting 010.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	30337  

Name:	7.5 gallon scape and planting 011.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	30338  

Name:	7.5 gallon scape and planting 013.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	30339  

Name:	7.5 gallon scape and planting 014.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	30340  

Name:	7.5 gallon scape and planting 015.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	30341  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMTS View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on eventually adding a pair of chocolate gouramis and a group of shrimp (possibly crystal reds, though not decided yet). I need for the tank to get much more established first.

I added the rasboras yesterday and they are not colored up completely yet, but are doing well and are eating and swimming actively.

I am still trying to decide what background to add to the tank. I usually go with black, but I am afraid that the chocolate gouramis will just blend right into the background when I add them. Any ideas?
Go for a gradient background, from deep navy up to light blue almost white, or you could go for a nice plain white!
If I were you, i'd go for a pair of dwarf cichlids, Bolivian rams, or German Blue if you are more inclined to brighter colors.

oh and I'd change the light position to the back of the tank, coming over it, it would look more pleasing to the eye and you wouldn't have Half-light half-dark tank .

Looks awesome though, mega jealous of your driftwood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Nice tank, but it's too small for Rams...

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocon View Post
Go for a gradient background, from deep navy up to light blue almost white, or you could go for a nice plain white!
If I were you, i'd go for a pair of dwarf cichlids, Bolivian rams, or German Blue if you are more inclined to brighter colors.

oh and I'd change the light position to the back of the tank, coming over it, it would look more pleasing to the eye and you wouldn't have Half-light half-dark tank .

Looks awesome though, mega jealous of your driftwood.
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually am not a fan of gradient backgrounds... I would rather have a solid color... maybe blue, not sure though. The tank is definitely too small for dwarf cichlids, and since this is going to be a southeast asian biotope, those wouldn't exactly be fitting I am much more interested in the natural behavior of fish than just simply bright colors. Besides, I don't want anything that will damage the shrimp population too much once I finally add my shrimp to the tank. I would put the light in the back of the tank, but my shelf is not deep enough. However, since its raised up 12 inches over the tank, it still lights it pretty evenly, especially since the tank is small. Thanks for the complements on my driftwood My LFS keeps this stuff in stock and I love it. Its nice and twisty, which makes scaping a small tank easy.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update: Major crypt melt 5/6/11

Well its been a little over a week, and the crypts are definitely starting to melt. The parva is melting the worst which I am bummed about since it grows so incredibly slow. Has anyone else had parva melt and seen it bounce back relatively quickly? I also added some needle leaf java fern and some java fern windelov to the wood. I think it fills in the tank a lot more. Other than that everything the same, the fish are enjoying their new home and are coloring up a bit more. I still need to figure out a background. Anyways here's an updated pic of everything. Any suggestions are welcomed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	competition photos and nano update 039.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	30698  

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
fortunately for me, my parva did not melt much, even after moving it in my tank. it is a very slow grower. i don't think i can even notice if mine has been growing much at all. i have been having problems keep a few of them planted. ive had it for maybe a month, not more than two.

for a background, i saw some tanks with a sky blue background and am thinking about trying this on the next tank i set up. i9 am a big fan of black backgrounds (flat back actually) but plan on painting some cardboard/posterboard sky blue to see how it looks on my next setup beforfe painting the actual glass that color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverock1337 View Post
fortunately for me, my parva did not melt much, even after moving it in my tank. it is a very slow grower. i don't think i can even notice if mine has been growing much at all. i have been having problems keep a few of them planted. ive had it for maybe a month, not more than two.

for a background, i saw some tanks with a sky blue background and am thinking about trying this on the next tank i set up. i9 am a big fan of black backgrounds (flat back actually) but plan on painting some cardboard/posterboard sky blue to see how it looks on my next setup beforfe painting the actual glass that color.
You are lucky you didn't have any trouble with your parva melting. I can't believe mine has already melted so much! I haven't had trouble so far keeping any of mine planted though.

Thanks for the suggestion on the sky blue background. I think I might give that a try. I almost always paint the backs of my tanks black but because of the chocolate gouramis I plan on adding , I don't think they would stand out very well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode