Another 29g Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Another 29g Tank

Hey everyone, It's been a while since my last post. My old tank had to be given away for money, but im done with school, and moved to another state and ready to start up the hobby again.

My gf already bought me a 29 gallon tank, and this time I have a camera.

I recently started reading up on the hobby again, I kind of forgot some information. >.>

My first 2 questions are, whats a good canister filter? I've also been reading about filter-less tanks.
My second question is about lighting, I've used flourescents in the past and it worked alright, I was wondering if T5-HO's are the bulbs I should be using.

Those are my questions for now, and im really excited about getting back into the hobby, finally with money I can spend without worrying. (\(.)/)

After doing some research, Ive decided on purchasing a eheim 2217 for canister filter, and a nova freshwater lighting. If there are other filters or lighting I should consider please feel free to post.

Last edited by sil80guy; 04-26-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
2217 is good. It may seem like a lot of flow at first. But once your filter builds up, it'll slow. It also leaves room for when you decide to upgrade your tank. T5-HO may cause algae problems. If you decide to go pressurized eventually, it should be good. If you're looking for low maintenance, I'd pass on the HO for now.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I still have to read more about this low maintenance, high maintenance thing, I dont really quite understand.

However I plan on using pressurized CO2 from ADA I wanna try these scented things they have.
I've done DIY CO2 with yeast in a soda bottle, that was fun and worked wonders, and Ive had good experience with co2 so I hope I have good experience with the pressurized CO2. Never had any algae problems.

Another question I had was about frogs, I wanted to try the dwarf african frogs mixed with peaceful fish, will they get along?
Ive read that the frogs get out matched when it comes to food, but i had no problems with feeding them with a turkey baster, i've had plenty of experience feeding peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs with my reef.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

SolarMax HE2 Double is my favorite light (T5NO). Aprox $64 (includes ship.) Jacob has it over his tank

Hyzer has a cheap T5HO set up check it out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good that u are getting back in to the hobby! Okay let me explain this haha, putting on a t-5 right attired can cause algae unless u plant it really good. The reason being is the plants aren't rooted yet so they really aren't absorbing much algae causing nutrients. Start off with a regular light and upgrade when u need to. Remember if you don't want algae but u want t-5's you need to plant thick.

No Fear, Take No Prisoners, Leave No Survivors.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry I'm on my iPod I ment at first*

No Fear, Take No Prisoners, Leave No Survivors.

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ahhh, I see. So for now I should start off by buying soil and a canister filter. I used eco-complete on my previous tank and it worked fine, but i'm thinking about smaller substrate or fine sand. Maybe a mix of fine sand and substrate for a sand/rock look.

Another concern is the waste and left overs from fish. I used a siphon before and never really gotten the hang of the pump thing, I always had to start it off by sucking the other end of the hose to create a flow. Is there a better siphon somewhere or should I be using something else to remove waste?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
SolarMax HE2 Double is my favorite light (T5NO). Aprox $64 (includes ship.) Jacob has it over his tank

Hyzer has a cheap T5HO set up check it out.
I like the idea of the moonlights but not to much about the actinics, arn't they more used for saltwater tanks?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil80guy View Post
I like the idea of the moonlights but not to much about the actinics, arn't they more used for saltwater tanks?
I didn't think they were actinic bulbs. Reading the info I see 1 bulb is actinics. I will ask them if they will switch it out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode