Frist planted tank - 20g Long pics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Frist planted tank - 20g Long pics

So I haven't really been keeping fish or tanks that long, before this I only had one 5g non-planted in which one Beta male lives. Decided I'd like to try my hand at something more. So after quite a bit or reading and debate I settled on a 20g long planted tank.

Tank: 20 gallon long
Lighting: Marineland Double bright LED
Filtration: Eheim2213
CO2: DIY yeast reactor
Heater: Eheim Jager 75 watt

Plants:
Ceratopteris thalictroids
Hemiantbus micrantbemoides
Microsorum pteropus

Proposed residents: 8-10 neons, 4-6 Otos, 1 male Beta, 4 or 5 Dwarf chain loaches or Amano shrimp undecided atm.

Played with some hard-scape until something looked right. Got everything setup started cycling without plants.

After about a week one of my LFS had just gotten some new plants in so timing was right to get it going.

Sorry for the lack luster pics my digital camera is about 10 years old think it might be time to upgrade.

Let me know what yall think.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your off to a great start! Keep it coming!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 04:08 AM
Algae Grower

Very cool. Is that real wood? Which substrate did you pick?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun View Post
Very cool. Is that real wood?
Yes it is, both pieces are still somewhat buoyant the one on the left is tied to the stone behind it with fishing line the other is being held down by that stone over the top of it. Hopefully I'll be able to remove it at some point. The substrate is Fluval stratum.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Algae Grower

Going to follow along...
My new planned setup is using the same tank/same equipment.

BIOTOPE AFICIONADO

56g Guyana Backwater
40g Borneo Stream
20g Crypt brook
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is amazing, great job, the wood is the perfect size and all!

Am looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Retired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
-Davey the Bearded dragon.
-Couple little rescue lap dogs: Boots and Teddy.
-2 Holland lop house rabbits- Percy and Pippen.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And so the battle begins.

Also wanted to ask a question about fertilizers. Whats a good brand and type to start with? I was thinking about root tabs but being a brand new substrate I figured it was still full of most of its nutrients. The LFS had a limited stock, I'll be headed out to a couple more today to see what they have.

Thanks,
John
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Uggh, unwanted snails.. I had a similar issue and had to eradicate using harsh methods.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_eod View Post
And so the battle begins.

Also wanted to ask a question about fertilizers. Whats a good brand and type to start with? I was thinking about root tabs but being a brand new substrate I figured it was still full of most of its nutrients. The LFS had a limited stock, I'll be headed out to a couple more today to see what they have.

Thanks,
John
Over_Stocked's stuff (RootMedic.net) is pretty awesome
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thought I'd post a quick update. Some things have changed got a new non-diy diffuser. The plants where growing in ok but as you can see the ones on the edges where suffering. I decided to swap the leds out for something with a little more output and coverage. Its not really the leds but the fixture wasn't suited well for a longer tank, there was a good 5-6in on each side of the tank with very low light. A full 30in led fixture would be great, perhaps in the future I'll look into some diy leds as I really liked the look.

I did notice that within hours of putting on the new lights I already have some algae forming on the tips of the upper drift wood.

Some water testing last week showed the tank had short cycled and was ready to begin stocking. I don't think any are showing in this pic but there are five Otos in there now working away.

Thanks,
John
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:06 AM
Planted Member

Diggin them LED's man, very sleek

No Fear, Take No Prisoners, Leave No Survivors.

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStrokeKing View Post
Diggin them LED's man, very sleek
Thank you but those are gone, the light in the latest pic is a coralife aqualight 30" HO T5 with a 10k and 6700 in it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks great. The swapping of the LED's was a good choice.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Frist planted tank - 20g Long pics (56k warning)

Been a little while thought I'd post an update on this tank. Plant growth as been pretty good. The babies tears has been filling in well, and the replanted cuttings from the water sprite have taken very well.

Had some struggles with CO2 and an algae out break. Tried to get a ceramic diffuser to work with yeast reactor, didn't work out so well. Not sure what the constant pressure level that's required to get one to work well but mine would only burp out some bubbles at first them stop altogether. Lack of CO2 seems to have caused a lot of brown hairy algae to take hold of all of the lower part of the tank. I was pulling it out daily on mass didn't make a dent, went back to my static double bubble diffuser and started dosing with Excel. This seems to be knocking it down.

Here's the tank as of today.

These issues with CO2 caused me to look into a pressurized system. Did some reading and shopping and got this together. Still working on it thought I had it together then the On/Off valve on the paintball tank decided to give way at its main thread. I'll have to break it down tomorrow and take that back to the PB store to see if maybe a seal or O-ring gave way.

Some good news did come up in the time since my last update, in the image below you'll see a white out of focus thing. I was watching TV the other night before lights out, something wiggly in the tank caught my eye. Thinking "AHH what now worms!" grab my tongs to snag it. As I got in real close I saw that it wasn't a worm at all but a very small Otocinclus fry. So small in fact that my camera even in super macro couldn't get it into focus no matter what angle I tried.

Guess that's it for now thanks for looking, let me know if you have any advise I'm always open to suggestions and help.

Thanks,
John
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Tank looks real good. I just got myself a 20g long as well and will be jumping into this bigger pond soon. Still trying to put together my plan of attack.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode