Few words about myself. French living in Germany, I started when I was around 15 with several cichlid tanks (great experience with some nigros, rams, apistos, ...).
After a break of 20 years, I'm back with a 70g planted tank and I would like to share with you the setup and first weeks of my new tank.
Main reasons for me to post on this forum are :
- I've seen some great tanks and interesting threads on this forum so far, would appreciate to be part of the community to learn more and get inspired
- I'm on several european forums (mainly French and German ones), and for sure the techniques and products in use in US are fairly different from those from Europe. I'm keen on learning more about them, as e-commerce makes them easy to get from anywhere
- I'm interested in getting your feedback, comments and suggestion about my "european way"
Overall, I hope that you will find some interest in the short story below. If yes, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to share the evolution of my tank with you.
1. Tank & equipment
The tank is a cubic model from Eheim (MP Scubacube).
It came as standard with 2x24W T5 neon tubes.
Which were definitely not enough as regards of the 25" water depht.
One of the first action was then to double the lighting, by adding additional 2x24W, powered by an Arcadia unit.
As you can see below, the filter is a Eheim Professional 3 2073 (given for 1050 liter/h).
Heating is also coming from Eheim, Jaeger 150W.
But enough with the technique, let's have a look at the setup.
Nutritive soil from Sera (Floredepot, approx. 2-5 cm) + 3-6cm gravel (type Rio Negro)
Very lean and simple : massive blocks of granite, which will be complemented by a mangrove root later on. That's all.
From rear to front :
- 12 x Vallisneria spiralis
- 6 x Vallisneria gigantea
- 12 x Hygrophila polysperma
- 1 x motherplant Echinodorus Bleheri
- 6 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii "broadleaf"
- 6 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii "Green Gecko"
- 2 x Lilaeopsis Novaezelandiae
The Nitrogen cycle
... took me one month, and was made without ANY chemicals or add-on products.
My water parameters are as follows :
- pH 7,5
- KH 5
- GH 10
- NO2 0
- NO3 <10mg/l
- PO4 0
Please note that I do not (neither intend to) use external CO2 admission in my tank.
After 1 month...
And the first inhabitants...
8 x Thayeria boehlkei (soon around 20 pieces)
6 x Corydoras panda (soon 12 pieces)
That's it for now. Again any feedback is welcome.