A 55g from far away - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Dieni
A 55g from far away

About 3-4 years ago I had a 20G planted tank, it wasn’t high-tech, just diy co2, 2 fluorescent tubes and some weekly fertilizing, was nothing special, but it was quite nice for the time. Anyway when the tank was at its peek, I had decided to upgrade to a larger tank, the 55g I have at the moment. Thing is that the new tank never took off, and I never managed to set it up properly cause I was always busy.

Until last August, when I decided that I wanted to start the tank again, and while searching the net, I came across this site. From then on I got hooked again and with me a couple of friends too

So below is how the tank looked last November, sorry for the lack of pics between September and October, but I was a month away.

After that photo, I had an algae breakout, which now seems under control. I haven’t fertilized since than, but the plants are looking better now.

This is how the tank looks as of yesterday. The cacomba has still to grow a bit.

These are the current tank specs

Tank: 48"x15"x18" all glass tank
Substrate: Tetra Complete Substrate with normal gravel on top
Filtration: Eheim 2026 with Installation Kit 1 and 2
Heating: Hydor external 300w heater
CO2: Pressurized co2 system with JBL 0.5Kg tank, Bioplast Regulator, Aquamedic Solenoid and Eheim diffuser.
Lighting: 2x 30w Fluorescent tubes with reflectors
Misc: 6w UV sterilizer, Eheim 300 compact circulation pump

Any comments or suggestions are really welcome

Eheim Pimp Club Member #86

50G Tank; Eheim 2026 Filter, Eheim 2213 Filter, Hydor ETH 300w heater, 9w UV Steriliser, CO2 Pressurized system with JBL PH Controller & Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor, 3wpg lighting, Tetra Plant substrate
60G Tank; Project 1500l Filter, 2 Hydor 150w heaters, 9w UV Steriliser, JBL CO2 Pressurized system with Eheim diffuser, 2wpg lighting, Tetra Plant substrate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Wow, nice progress!

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow that was a quick reply, glad you like it. Cant wait to get some more lighting over it now, just need to build a new hood thou, which isnt an easy task

50G Tank; Eheim 2026 Filter, Eheim 2213 Filter, Hydor ETH 300w heater, 9w UV Steriliser, CO2 Pressurized system with JBL PH Controller & Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor, 3wpg lighting, Tetra Plant substrate
60G Tank; Project 1500l Filter, 2 Hydor 150w heaters, 9w UV Steriliser, JBL CO2 Pressurized system with Eheim diffuser, 2wpg lighting, Tetra Plant substrate

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yup, definitely a nice progression. You can literally see the difference in growth b/w the two pictures.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In between the 2 photos, I changed a couple of things, removed one piece of the wood, removed the amazon swords and the egeria densa, and also the anubias I had. Got some cacomba in.... and well you can see the results. Note that the lighting at the moment is really low, so the plants arent at their best.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:22 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm only stating the obvious here but your tank is gorgeous.

I have just recently got back into aquariums myself and I have tried and tried to get my old friends to pick it up again with no luck. It would be so much more enjoyable if we had that competition going again.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 PM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Definately got a great lookin tank. Seems to be doin great with the lighting you have also!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the plant in the middle right, with the green tops and the purple underside, is actually hemigraphis colorata, a terrarium plant that will melt away in the tank.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well actually I had tought so, cause its really a rigid plant, but I didnt know the name correctly. After searching with the name you gave me, it looks to be able to grow underwater for some time. I will find a replacement plant and change it. Later on I will post a thread with pics, cause there are a couple of more plants which I dont know the name.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Algae Grower

Two small comments. I would push the stones down in the gravel a bit, looks more natural to me. Put the wood just a bit more out of the middle.
Just my two €ct's
Ed

Bigger is better !!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 04:00 PM

Very nice progression. A few questions, what is the red plant you have on the left and how are you keeping it so red under low light? I see a piece of screen behind your driftwood in the first pic, what are you doing with that? Were you planning on doing a carpet with that or something? The rock background is fake right? It'd be hard to imagine being able to fit those rocks in a 55 gallon.

I'm just amazed how you're able to keep colored plants with such low light levels. I've got 110W over my 55 gallon and colored plants just can't keep their color in my tank.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddo10
Two small comments. I would push the stones down in the gravel a bit, looks more natural to me. Put the wood just a bit more out of the middle.
Just my two €ct's
Ed
I took your advice and pushed the stones a bit down, as you said it looks more natural now. As for the wood, i will take your advice and see how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykwonx
Very nice progression. A few questions, what is the red plant you have on the left and how are you keeping it so red under low light? I see a piece of screen behind your driftwood in the first pic, what are you doing with that? Were you planning on doing a carpet with that or something? The rock background is fake right? It'd be hard to imagine being able to fit those rocks in a 55 gallon.

I'm just amazed how you're able to keep colored plants with such low light levels. I've got 110W over my 55 gallon and colored plants just can't keep their color in my tank.
Thanks, I am sorry, I dont know the name of the red plant, which is actually more pinkish than red. With the screen I was trying to get some riccia and java moss to grow, but I need more lighting to do so for sure. Thats just a background, when I did it, I didnt know that a black background is better.

I cant wait to get some more lighting over this tank, new doors will open for sure.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Your background goes great with the rocks in the tank, I usually don't like photographs as backgrounds but it works great in your tank. The tank has a nice clean look to it. I have read that the purple crinkle plant can last up to a year sumberged.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:04 PM

I love your tank! When I see tanks like yours it makes me wonder why anyone has tanks with sunken castles, ect. Would you mind telling me what plants you have in there? I have a tank w/ almost the same wpg, only the tank is smaller, and I would be interested in the kind of plants you have had sucsess with. In my tank I have Java moss and fern, dwarf sag, elodea, and thai onion plant, but I can't get the elodea to grow roots. Thanks for sharing!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode