new to C02 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
new to C02

I have never used C02. I would like to experiment with it with a DIY. I have read several articles(with pics) on constructing one. I will eventually go witha full pressurized system. My question is, would I notice any difference in a planted 55 gallon using a Diy system(non-pressurized)?

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:18 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Any source of CO2 has to be better than no CO2. Okay, I'm sure someone could think of some dastardly setup, but... . To get a decent effect, you might need to go with more than one DIY bottle. There is another recent thread when someone states they're getting 60+ ppm out of a DIY solution on a 65g tank, I believe. I didn't think DIY could be that effective, but I could be wrong.

I started out with DIY CO2 on a 29g, and it was certainly worth starting that way and learning about it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMorris
My question is, would I notice any difference in a planted 55 gallon using a Diy system(non-pressurized)?

Scott
Most definintely, But I would suggest you may want to get some ferts and read up on it, cause you will need them, with C02. Here's a couple of links to get you started.

http://www.sfbaaps.com/reference/barr_02_01.shtml
http://www.aquatic-plants.org/est_index1.html

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

With a Diy(I have ladders) would it be best to mount the ladders along the back wall where the most of the plants are, or in front of the filter outlet so the gas will be carried in the current? And thanks Wolfenn, reading the links now.

Scott
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The ladder just needs to be placed in an area of current, strong enough to allow good contact with the bubbles, but not so strong as to blow the bubbles out of the ladder.

I use ladders in a 30 and 29, I have the ladders in the corner on the side of the tank opposite the filter output, the water circulation is essentially a gentle circular one that seems to work very well with the ladder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass-gardens.com
The ladder just needs to be placed in an area of current, strong enough to allow good contact with the bubbles, but not so strong as to blow the bubbles out of the ladder.

I use ladders in a 30 and 29, I have the ladders in the corner on the side of the tank opposite the filter output, the water circulation is essentially a gentle circular one that seems to work very well with the ladder.
Thanks, I was watching the water flow. I have now put them side by side on the back wall. Making lots of bubbles now.

Scott
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:41 PM

I'm using 2 bottles for my 55 gal and a turtle shell I found in the woods to act as a bell. I seems to hold the air long enough to diffuse 100%. Although right after I shake my bottles every few days or so the shell will just burp up some air. I used to have a tiger lotus that grew lilies to the top of my tank, so burped up air would get stuck under the lillies as well. That plant grew way too big for my tank quickly, so I had to get rid of it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykwonx
I'm using 2 bottles for my 55 gal and a turtle shell I found in the woods to act as a bell. I seems to hold the air long enough to diffuse 100%. Although right after I shake my bottles every few days or so the shell will just burp up some air. I used to have a tiger lotus that grew lilies to the top of my tank, so burped up air would get stuck under the lillies as well. That plant grew way too big for my tank quickly, so I had to get rid of it.

A turtle shell from the woods!?

Dude- thats going to mess up your hardness, not to mention the obvious dangers from contamination. I hope you boiled and scrubbed a lot

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode