The collectoritus jungle!!! (56K) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (16/100%)
The collectoritus jungle!!! (56K)

I started off this winter with the intentions of doing something with this 55G tank of mine that had been takin up space for about 3 years. I started researchin Discus again. I use to keep them years ago. Then a link led me here. The more I read, the more I was infatuated with the planted tanks...The tanks I saw were just simply awsome! I ditched the Discus idea, an immediately started readin. The more I read, the more I got reeled in. Dont get me wrong, I love Discus, I am just not ready yet room wise. So here is this 55G tank complete with 2 silver dollars, a clown loach, plastic plants, an some rocks i picked up out of the back yard...

Last edited by bastalker; 12-21-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Winter time finds me with a little time on my hands. I started lookin at ebay with the intentions of gettin a nice piece of driftwood. Readin some more on TPT. I got alot of inspiration from several members on the forum. So I figured I would start slow. Throw the piece of driftwood in there an try an get it water logged..Just to make it look semi crowded, I kept the plastic plants in there for the time being..

post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Now the more I read, the more I realized that plastic plants were absolutely TABU, if you were gonna have anything to do with this forum. So I had to ditch em..I also realized that my 40 watt lighting just wasn't gonna cut it. So I started researchin lighting.I spent a couple of weeks on this one. Since my funds are limited durin the winter, I decided on the 2 x 55 brights from A H Supply. Course the easiest way for me to hook them up was to build a canopy.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Yeah... I had to stain it..

post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

I hadn't really asked any questions yet, but I was pretty much wantin some plants now. Guess I was gettin a little impatient. Threw a thread in the Swap an shop lookin for some java fern, an som moss. I knew it would just look great on the driftwood.. Got a couple of replies. "litesky" was the first, then Buck stepped up. A moderator right at my back door....How cool is that? He calls me up, an we get to talkin. The next thing ya know he shows up at my place with a bucket full of dwarf sags, water sprite, an some java ferns attached to lava rock. I immediately fell in love with the lava rocks! Got a kick out of meetin one of the guru's. Gave me alot of info, an we tossed down a few. He left an pretty much let me do my thing. Wound up lookin like this.

post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Course that just wasn't enough plants. So I started researchin Aquariumplants.com for about a week. Figured I had roughly 2 watts per gallon an no CO2. I need low light, hardy plants. Placed an order....

Now durin this time Marcel stepped up an tells me he has just what the doctor ordered. Oh Man, another mod!!! Now I got 2 mods right at my back door! Marcel's package arrived today. Awsome java fern bush, a huge
red lotus, baby tears about the size of a grapefruit, an some java moss I have stuck to a rock at the moment.

Of course Aquariumplants.com order came as well. Red an green wendtii, java ferns, asian ambulia, African anubias, lutea, 2 sword plants, to much hygro philia So I had quite the plantin to do. 5 hours later it came out like this.

Right side....

Last edited by bastalker; 12-21-2007 at 02:45 AM.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Left side...

post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

The big picture... Please thrash me accordingly.. Any suggestions are most certainly welcome..Thanks all for an awsome forum!!!

post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

The whole CO2 setup will be here Monday, Of course the canister will be right behind it. Researchin that now. Probably go with an XP3 by the looks of it. I hate the HOB filters now!! Sucks the plants right up to the intake..

Gonna go an get some ferts this week .. I will be upgrading the lighting in a few months cause the wife pretty much said I have spent my limit for now...
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:52 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You got that filled up pretty quickly eh?
I think you should throw away those plastic plants and never look back. Looks great.

Quote:
Any suggestions are most certainly welcome
I think the tank's looking good, I'd just leave it alone for awhile if I were you, and see what the plants want to do.

BTW, what's the timeline between when the first pic was taken and the last few? Insane transformation for just one page. (in a good way)
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the thumbs up!! I am gonna go an start a thread on the swap an shop an see if anyone wants a huge plastic amazon. Just pay shipping.

The transformation took about 2 months...
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:57 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Looks like you've got a great start and are well on your way. This planted tank stuff can be a bit addictive, can't it ! I wonder if anyone ever chose a new home location based on where the forum mods lived !
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looking good! Just don't do like I do and get carried away with wanting one of this and one of that and end up with a conglomeration of clippings. Stick with the varieties you've got and let them grow into larger groups. Looks better that way.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great looking tank Mark !

* Eheim Pimp Club Member No. 97 *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 gallon, Eheim 2128,Eheim 2026, Hagen surface extractor, 18 watt UV Turbo Twist, M3 Pressurized CO2, 5 lb CO2 tank, AM 1000 Reactor, Laterite, river gravel mix.

90 gallon under construction. Eheim 2128, Eheim 2026, Coralife 4x65W, AM 1000 reactor, JBJ Pressurized CO2, 5 lb CO2 tank, Turbo Twist 6x UV, No substrate yet.

AGA Member. The Barr Report Member.
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS
I wonder if anyone ever chose a new home location based on where the forum mods lived!
Heh...I sure hope not!!I would be a little worried about em

Thanks for the complement! I hear what you are sayin Sam, I have a quite a conglomeration in there now. I figure I will see what will grow best with what I have equipment wise for the time being. I figure I will lose a few plants here an there, but that what learnin is about. I will be getting CO2 next week, but I am a little concerned with the HOB's I have at the moment off gasing it. It was mentioned earlier to stuff foam in the outlets to kinda help with that.
Gonna have to bribe Buck an see if he can make it over once the CO2 arrives and give the tank a good once over.

Thanks Nick for the kind words...Del hooked me up pretty good with plants. Arrived the next day no problems. Marcel and Dels package arrived at the same time. Felt like Christmas all over again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode