My Fishroom - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Fishroom

Due to a very understanding wife, owning my own house and 2 little boys that think this is "cool" I have been able to set up my own fishroom.

Rack of 6 20s

Rack of 6 10s and a 60 long

One of the 10s

Another of the 10s

72 Bowfront

135 plexi end

135 plexi side

Wall of tanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
just bloody awesome! What kind of shelving are you using?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Algae Grower

Very nice!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
On a cold and rainy day, we'll know where to find you

Nice setup. Your kids are lucky to have that experience and you are lucky to have such an understanding wife.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:13 AM

what is the plant on the bottom right of the 72 bowfront ?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I'm jealous. And I just got popped by my wife who is looking over my shoulder...

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
WOW. Filtration? Heating? Maintenance?

Details, man!!!

No Pimp Club.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the compliments. This room gets me through the winter when it is cold and dark (it is Canada).

I only have 1 high tech tank and that is the 72 bowfront. In the Summer I don't add ferts and I kill the CO2 as I spend alot of time with the family camping and I am not a big fan of the "jungle" look. There are 2 10,000K 65W bulbs and 2 6700 65W bulbs. Currently it houses Rainbows.

The rack of 20s is from 2 Gorilla racks put together.

I purchased this stuff (sponge filters, heaters, and aquaruims)

And simple 48" T12 shop lights from Home Depot. The power bar came from Canadian Tire. The lights are pretty well anything that is cheap and as close to the 6700K spectrum as I can get. The current bulbs are considered "daylight" and are rated at 5000K.

I took 2 of these

Painted and replaced the particle board with 3/4" plywood

Installed the power bars. These bars are perfect as they accept any size of adapter and they cover the whole back of the rack so the receptacles are easy to reach

Secured the racks to the wall

Fill with water

With fish and plants.

I am breeding a strain of Moscows right now. So I am using the 10 gallons for the fry. The other 10s now have Painted Red Fire Shrimp, Golden Bee Shrimp, and a mix of wild cherry and blue shrimp.

Moscow Male (3 months)

the large female (breeding for size)

the more colourful female (breeding for colour)

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have taken down the 135 as I was having problems with it. I am recycling it right now. I am struggling with the practicality of a bigger tank. I find it very hard to scape but that may be due to the fact that I have not worked with something that big before and I am having problems with keeping things to scale.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-freek View Post
what is the plant on the bottom right of the 72 bowfront ?
I don't know but here are some additional photos. I have had this plant for years. Twice it has completely melted. A couple of months ago it sent up a spike with a bunch of flowers on it. The flowers died away and were replaced by leaves. I would love to know what it is. Here are some photos that I just shot of it.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The 2nd rack is also a rebranded Gorilla rack from Costco but has a depth of 24" instead of the first rack which is 18". The 10 gallon tanks are 24" long so they fit perfectly side by side. I have an assortment of coralife fixtures with T5s and PC 65 W. What ever I have lying around. All the tanks are filtered with sponge filters due to the fact they are inexpensive, easy to maintain and provide food for shrimp and small fry.

Here are some of the occupants of these tanks

Painted Fire Red Shrimp enjoying sweet potato

Baby Blue and Wild Cherry Shrimp

Golden Bee

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 PM
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
wow man thats a lot of tanks lol. I would deffinately breed fish/plants and sell em. To be honest Im not even sure I would want that many tanks lol. I find having 3 small tanks taxing enough.

But they do look good and cool to actually see. All I know is if I had that many tanks I would probably find out what the stores use to filter all their tanks and use the same system lol.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Algae Grower

So cool!
Theres a guy I know who has one just like it behind his house, it's his own little business during retirement and much better to see a person that clearly loves keeping aquatic life!
Real jealous, I love you Canadians!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:55 PM
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
FYI that big plant looks a lot like my melon sword.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I agree - Melon Sword seems right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
FYI that big plant looks a lot like my melon sword.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode