My 55G Redone *56K Warning* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
My 55G Redone *56K Warning*

After I lost the battle against algae and threw away most of my plants, I redid my 55G. Still have a huge problem with water parameters since the tank is still way overstocked. I'm planning to start slowly with hardy plants only.
The algae is dead, I pulled all I could but there are still some left overs. They turned transparent red (after blackout & algaefix treatment). Hopefully that's the end of it.

Full View:

Favorite part(1):

Favorite part(2):

PS: Momotaro, I kept your Java Ferns...I hope they'll survive & thrive again.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
Wow i see lots of guppies . So far it looks pretty good. Youve got a decent amount of plant matter in there to start out with. Might i suggest you get some fast growing stem plants to help start out the tank to avoid any major algae problems like youve had before. Sorry about that but it happens, ive got lots of algae in my 45g planted, well thats because its not really planted much yet .

Anyways hang in there and keep us updated. The tank looks good and there is no reason it wont look better in a few months.

Andrew

Whats in your glass box?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looking good so far mate, and yes I agree I see a lot of guppies, must have gave birth to many times.

I like the fern attached to the pieces of wood, good luck and keep it up!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:02 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I was thinking you needed more fast growers also. What you have looks great, but with the fish load, I'd get more plants.

And, what's the definition of over-crowded? I think I tallied up a shade over 60 fish in my 46g the other day ! Bad me, I know. But, with a very heavy plant load, I don't detect any problems.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Over time, it's getting harder & harder to control the balance since the fish keep multiplying... finally algae won the battle & I lost almost all of the plants.

Well... at one time, the tank looked something like this:

As for the fish inside, here's a copy-paste from a different thread:
9 clown loaches (3"-4")
3 dojo loaches (7"-8")
11 corydoras (2")
4 synodontis (2")
5 Zebra Danio (1")
6 White Clouds (1")
6 Chery Barbs (1")
1 Redfin Shark (4")
30 (at least) Black Mollies (almost fully grown, ~1")
70 (at least) Guppies (ditto)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:38 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's to bad about your tank, but I'm sure if you got it looking as nice as it did in the before pic you can do it again. Yeah, you do have alot of fish--can't you take most of the guppies and/or mollies to your LFS? My tank is kind of overcrowded too. But to me it is worse to overcrowd a small tank than a big tank. Say, to have 20 fish in a 10g are worse than 40 of the same kind of fish in a 20g, because the latter still have more room to swim. I think you would be fine if, like you said, livebearers weren't so productive. BTW don't your fish eat most of the babies? I have platies, and my betta and other fish love to hunt the babies down and eat them. Is that a bumblebee goby I see in the right hand side of the first pic? I think those guys are so cute. Everything I've read about them says they need brackish water, but my LFS keeps them in freshwater. I was thinking of getting one but was worried that it wouldn't do well in freshwater. How does yours seem to do?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL

I completely forgot about those bumblebee gobys... Yeah, I got two of them since last year (they were bagged together when I bought some ottos, the guy at the store almost squish them trying to get them out of the bag - long story short, I brought them home)

They're doing okay, they really like frozen bloodworms and guppy frys (at least before the frys learn how to swim). I have never seen them eat any dried food.

I think originally all those plants were able to provide cover for the frys, and once you got enough of them.. the multiplication effect starts!

My significant other is very attached to these livebearers - it'll be a while before I could convince her to let some go

A female livebearer only need one night stance once, then she'll give birth to 30-60 frys every 28 days - nonstop for 6 months!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode