20g Low-Tech Planted Jungle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g Low-Tech Planted Jungle

Re-Scaping my boring old tank, love the planted look, have decided to give a go, done my research (though it's probably not enough)

I know it looks ugly with all that black equipment in the back ground, i just don't have enough cash for the nice-looking ADA stuff.

60 Litre Rimless
Marina s15 and Aqua Flow 100 Filtration
Basic Heating Unit

6x Cardinals
2x Dwarf Gourami (1m, 1f)
1x Pleco (i know it will get too big, i am only planning on having it until that time)

3x Amazon Sword
3x Camboba
4x Unknown Plant

1) Should I use these Ferts? http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/a...izer/jbl/14230
2) Can i house any other fish?
3) General improvements to be made?
4) Should I add Driftwood as i have 2 pieces (check my page for details on the look of them)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0455.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	30024  

Name:	Photo0456.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	30025  

Name:	Photo0461.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	30026  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

BTW it's been cycled and i have just finished cleaning the debris on the sand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
looks nice. that sword is going to fill the whole thing up eventually.

my 125 is even too small for amazons.

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
looks nice. that sword is going to fill the whole thing up eventually.

my 125 is even too small for amazons.
Just out of curiosity, what are some smaller swords good for a 20L or 29g tank? I've been wanting to add a sword to my 29g as a background plant, but know that an amazon will outgrow the tank too fast.

PS -- and I don't mean like chain swords, I already have those for the foreground . I mean something that will grow to a decent height, but isn't as ginormous as a full grown amazon sword.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think that actually looks really good! If the driftwood is small and thin with branches it may looks good in the background to either side...
You choose some good starter plants, they are hardy but swords love iron so get a fert that has iron in it. I use the seachem line for my 20 gallon. Then you can adjust your different nutrients depending on the plants and such. They cost way more than you average fert bottle but they work well!

Maybe add a black background to the tank, that will camoflouge the filters, heater etc. Just cut out some black craft paper from Staples...You know those large pieces used for posters. They only cast maybe $2/ sheet and look great. Thats what i use on the backs of all my tanks!

-Retired.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
-Davey the Bearded dragon.
-Couple little rescue lap dogs: Boots and Teddy.
-2 Holland lop house rabbits- Percy and Pippen.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

im not sure which varieties stay small. I have some red mellons and they havent gotten ginormous in 2 years.

(A)narchy Love
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
I think that actually looks really good! If the driftwood is small and thin with branches it may looks good in the background to either side...
You choose some good starter plants, they are hardy but swords love iron so get a fert that has iron in it. I use the seachem line for my 20 gallon. Then you can adjust your different nutrients depending on the plants and such. They cost way more than you average fert bottle but they work well!

Maybe add a black background to the tank, that will camoflouge the filters, heater etc. Just cut out some black craft paper from Staples...You know those large pieces used for posters. They only cast maybe $2/ sheet and look great. Thats what i use on the backs of all my tanks!
Thanks Bree! Real helpfull stuff
I'm heading into town on saturday, so i'll pop by Staples, hopefully my Dad can order me some basic Ferts to start me off. (i'll have to re-pay him for all the Aquarium stuff he's bought me recently!)

+ ty nonconductive, if they get real big, i may sell them and get abit of or $$$

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

I ordered some guide books from JBL about 3-4 days ago, they were free, i got the package (for some reason it was covered in petrol)

They sent me some food for free! love the guys at JBL, good German manufacturing.

My fish love this food, much better than the average flakes i feed them!

Their is some cool guide books, 2 of my favorites are the 'Shrimp and Crustacea in the Aquarium' and 'Nano Keeping'. Plenty of pictures to paint/draw from for my Art class as-well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo0469.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	30065  

Name:	Photo0470.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	30066  

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocon View Post
Probably great for the plants but may not be good for the fish. Have read that manure contains uric acid which is toxic to fish. Then there are pond root tabs that have some uric acid in them.

What is your substrate?
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Probably great for the plants but may not be good for the fish. Have read that manure contains uric acid which is toxic to fish. Then there are pond root tabs that have some uric acid in them.

What is your substrate?
Substrate is Basic aquarium sand, at the time of laying down the substrate I hadn't given a whole lot of thought into using maybe Amazonia or any other high-quality soil.

Should i just ditch the whole set-up and do it again?

post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

no dont scrap it. sand can work fine. you just have to fertilize.

(A)narchy Love
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking

I came back from my LFS today, it was considering getting some Amano Shrimp , but it was so hot and humid and I had to take the bus, so I decided not to risk it!

I instead got some average fertilizer (best one out of 3) that should last me until I can manage to get my hands on a decent bottle/package!

Made sure I got some with the most iron content for my Swords.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	General Aquarium.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	30077  

post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerocon View Post
Should i just ditch the whole set-up and do it again?
It may save money on ferts having dirt with ferts in it but I don't think it is worth the effort. Especially since there are plants (anubias and ferns) that don't need any substrate. Anubias are more expensive than most plants and grow slow but they are so easy to grow. I wish I has started with anubias and ferns. Would have saved me money on lighting. Also there are diy root tabs.

Diy root tabs 2 grams of osmocote into ice tray. Top with 3 ml. of water. Freeze. Before inserting break them in , unless its a huge sword plant or giant crypt. Osmocote will float unless you let them soak for a minute or two and shake the tray around a little before freezing. (Sewingalot) Many have used this. Fact that it does not contain uric acid may be why it does not affect the fish. Ingredients are. Some even use Jobe root tabs that are for tomatoes. Con of plant tabs is that it may get in the water when you move the plants.

Hygrophila difformis (wisteria) is another easy plant

I still think you need some chelated iron. It comes in dry form and last a long time. Unfortunately I don't know whom has it out of the US.
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Hilde, I have one small Anubias, it it pretty easy as it just sits there and grows slowly (lika ya said).

I'll research more on the Ferts and Plant you have suggested and i'll see if i can come up with something

post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I decided to play around with the scape a little bit,
I places some more stones towards the front and immediately didn't like the look of them. The rocks all look random and gravel-like, i collected all the rocks from the beach (treated and boiled them).
I'm beginning to grow on the scape, do you think i should maybe purchase a set of matching rocks? Lava rocks, various ADA rocks ect.

The background is a slightly dodge attempt at a light-blue wash, as i haven't been able to get to Staples yet :p.

I also added one stand-alone piece of drift/bogwood i had in my old set-up and i really want to attach some moss or fern to it so it looks like a tree! I think i'll leave it in as it is because my pleco loves it! It's a shame i'll have to remove him when he out-grows it!

Once again my apologies for the crappy cell-phone pictures.

May run out of attachment space soon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Big daddy!.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	30160  

Name:	Photo0474.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	30161  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode