Andy's 50 Gallons Journal.Rescape 21-08-05 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Andy's 50 Gallons Journal.Rescape 21-08-05

Finally set up my Christmas present.
It's an Oceanic 50G, DIY stand, Eco-Complete, XP-3 filter, 65W aqualight (from my 20g, 130W unit on the way ), DIY CO2 currently with Hagen ladder ( will set up inline reactor later this week ) 150W EJ heater.
Flora: Most of the plants from my 20G, Moneyworth, Ludwigia Repens, Wisteria, Crypt Wendtii (?), Microsword, Java and African Fern, Italian Vals ( still not sure on that one ).
Added more Wisteria, Corkscrew Vals, Cacomba and Java Moss. I still have two Anubia Nanas ( One large and one small ) in the 20G and don't know if/were to place them.
Fauna: As of this morning, 11 regular and orange White Clouds, 6 Neons, 3 Glowlight Neons, 2 Albino Cories, 2 2" SAE, 1 Otto and a 3" Pleco. I'm planning to add in the next month 2 female Bettas, 4 Dwarf Gouramis ( 2 Neon Blue and 2 Flame ), 3 more Ottos, and possibly in a couple of months another 6 Neons.

When should I start dosing nutrients?
Any comments, suggestions and recommendations?

DIY stand & tank;

I ran the tank empty (except for the wood) for 4 days with ceramic rings from the 20 ( 2 weeks of soaking as well as in the filter) to get some bacteria started;

As of last night prior to adding the fishload from the 20;

Last edited by andyg; 08-21-2005 at 09:45 PM. Reason: editing title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Great start, Andy! When the rest of your toys arrive, you'll really be rolling.

re: ferts - I usually wait a month or so before adding anything. Avoiding an algae breakout during these early stages is a delicate dance. I usually wait until I see a few deprived leaves come out of my plants. Tiny holes or transparency is a good sign. I have jumped the gun on the ferts in the past, and paid the price.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:50 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like how the platform on your stand extends well beyond the dimensions of the tank.

Your Aquascape looks very natural to me, like the look alot.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
nice hiding the cave! I love the tank, looks really good
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Unirdna, Ahkuma, Pufferfreak thanks for the input.
My new lights came in this am and the water cleared up nicely since last night. Now all I need is to top up the water and get my reactor going.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Nice tank andy although from the first picture it doesn't look like a 50g. I love the plants and driftwood, great working! Keep it up.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMup04
Nice tank andy although from the first picture it doesn't look like a 50g. I love the plants and driftwood, great working! Keep it up.
Thanks MrMup. I built the base of the stand to the same width & depth as the tank, the top extend 3" beyond that all around. The tank is 30L x 19W x 21H. I see what you mean by the picture it does look small on there.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Yeah I checked on my website, it was 51 gallons.

http://www.thatsmytank.com/index.php...nkcalculations
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Been almost a month since last pics, so I thought it was time for a new one.
Unfortunatly I'm battling the GW monster. Started about 2 1/2 weeks ago and still going strong.( Just like my flu. Ummm. maybe a relation here. LOL )
A couple of days ago I thought I had it beat, I actually saw my Vals through the fog, but today it's back.
Plants have doubled in size, already trimmed the Wisteria and Cabomba last week.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 01:22 AM

Hang in there. How are you water parameters? Do you use ferts yet? I had the same problem and ended up buying a UV filter, but I know others beat it naturally by balancing their nutrients.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

I was dosing G.Watson's PMDD pre-mix for a while with KNO3 on alternate days. I haven't dosed in the last couple of days in order to see what the plants are using and get a baseline to start from. I plan a retest in the morning.
2 days ago; NO3 10ppm, PO4 .5, PH 7, KH 8.9, GH 13.4.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 03:50 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Andyg

Are the Orange White Clouds as hardy as the regular ones?

Have you had any luck with spawning and do you have to worry about the two crossbreeding?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 04:22 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Hey andy...Do a 90% WC. Reset the tank. Crank the C02 up to 30ppm an yer GW is gone!!
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahkuma
Andyg

Are the Orange White Clouds as hardy as the regular ones?

Have you had any luck with spawning and do you have to worry about the two crossbreeding?
So far ( 1 mth ) they appears to be as hardy as the regular ones, although they seem a bit more outgoing. Both groups are schooling together so there is a possibility of crossbreeding as I watched the Orange males go through their display routine for the regular females.
From what I read on both they are relatively easy to breed and are one of the few fish that do not eat their eggs.
However I seriously do not expect to see any fry survive as the other tank inhabitants will probably feast on the eggs or fry.

I'll post some pics under the Fish tread later.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastalker
Hey andy...Do a 90% WC. Reset the tank. Crank the C02 up to 30ppm an yer GW is gone!!
I wish it were that easy. The best I can hope to accomplish is a 50% WC at the time. I have to haul the water in from town using 2 6gal jugs and store it in a 22 gal tub were I let it sit for a day on so.

So far, I've tried another approach that seem to be working. No ferts added for the last 4 days and the water is clearing up. The plants are still looking great and not showing any signs of missing anything. I'll do a 50% WC this weekend and restart ferts after that and see what happens.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode