ADA 45F: Crypt forest... or something like that. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (49/100%)
ADA 45F: Crypt forest... or something like that.

Tank: ADA 45F
Lighting: Archaea 36 watt PC
Filtration: ZooMed 501
Heater: Hydor 50 watt
Substrate: 3 liters of Aquasoil Africana
Flora: Crypt parva and lutea, java moss
Fauna: 2x Epiplatys annulatus (clown killies)

This is my first ADA tank. All of the equipment was stuff laying around from previous set ups. So only the tank and africana are new. I'm hoping to keep this a low tech tank, but I'm unsure if I'll be able to accomplish that with the 36 watt Archaea. Hopefully adding some floating plants and dosing excel will keep algae at bay.

I need to track down some more crypt parva, and maybe add a few small stones. And yes, I know I need to shorted the filter tubing. It was previously used on a 5.5 gallon.

Anyone have suggestions for fish?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	29750  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	29751  

Last edited by sp33drhno; 04-21-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
that will look great once filled in. keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:27 AM
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Man I love ADA tanks. I dont know why they are always super clear. They must use the best glass on earth lol. I guess I should say they use the best sand actually.

That tank looks really good. As for fish Ive always been a big fan of neon tetras or cardinals. Although to be honest I cant think of a particular fish that would go well against a redish substrate. Not to say theyre not any, I just cant think of one right now lol.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Does AS Africana not leach ammonia, or does it take more than a day? I know Amazonia is known to leach a fair amount of ammonia. So far my API test hasn't detected any. Maybe having a well established filter helps.

Do people think I can keep a sparkling gourami or two in here. I know gourami can be aggressive toward conspecifics, and this isn't a big tank.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
For a fish suggestion I would go with a dark colored fish to contrast with the AS.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, a dark colored fish would look good. Maybe I should just get a betta.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Noooo!!! I wound go for some cool looking cory cats, maybe gold stripes, and some flame tetras. Bettas are so out done

My 65g jungle October rain
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, a small amount of ammonia showed up two days after setting up the tank. Then no ammonia was detected when I tested two days later. Today I did another test and ammonia is still at zero, along with nitrite, but there is about 10ppm nitrate. So I guess I can add fish. I'm still unsure of what I'll put in there, but a trip to the lfs tomorrow should help.

Here's some photos from this evening. The crypts are doing the usual melting, and I added some frogbit, pennywort and needle leaf java fern from my other tanks. I'm hoping the pennywort and java will grow emersed, but it doesn't seem to be humid enough.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Very clean looking tank. I've got to say that's some large growth for the pennywort but I like it. Looks a bit like large lily pads. The contrast from the africana and plants really is unique as well.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
Man I love ADA tanks. I dont know why they are always super clear. They must use the best glass on earth lol. I guess I should say they use the best sand actually.

That tank looks really good. As for fish Ive always been a big fan of neon tetras or cardinals. Although to be honest I cant think of a particular fish that would go well against a redish substrate. Not to say theyre not any, I just cant think of one right now lol.
Its the glass they use that's why it looks so clear.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
i would get some asian fish to stick with the asia plants you got. look into some dwarf rasboras or a pair of mouth brooding bettas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

clown killies

Went to the lfs today in search of small schooling fish. They only had ember tetra which were nice, but I thought their colors would be washed out in this tank. So I decided to take a chance and get the last two clown killies. I added more frogbit hoping it will lessen the chance of them jumping out.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well the clown killies didn't pan out. They were fine for about a week before vanishing into thin air. Didn't find any remains in the tank or any killi chips on the floor. So I got five CPDs instead. Those fish are extremely shy, and they spent nearly the entire day hiding behind/under the driftwood. I figured they'd eventually acclimate to the tank and come out, but that never happened.

Today I added seven brass tetra. Those guys are happily swimming around, and have drawn the CPDs out of hiding. The two surviving CPDs anyway. I guess the other three died from stress or starvation or a combination of the two. I never saw them eat any of the food I offered.

Since I don't dose any ferts aside from excel several times a week, the frogbit and pennywort aren't doing so well. The crypts are happy, but are growing at an extremely slow pace. So I ordered a bunch of crypt parva to fill in the front of the tank. Otherwise it'd take a decade for the parva to carpet the rest of the substrate I think.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 04:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Sorry about the killies and the CPDs mate, Have you thought about any apistogrammas? I think a pair of A. Trifasciata would look gorgeous in that tank of yours!
Good luck with the continuing of your tank, it looks great,
Your pal,
Pianofish

Piano

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any updates on this tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode