Tim's 40g custom rimless high tech setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/67%)
Tim's 40g custom rimless high tech setup

Hi everybody, this is my first attempt at a high tech setup, and when I saw this beautiful tank on craigslist, I had to jump on the opportunity. The initial setup was a bit rough, with leaks in my plumbing, having to re-silicon the tank, having to re-do the plumbing, and so on and so forth, But NOW it is up and running, with everything functioning properly. Here are the specs-

Lighting- 2x 55w power compact custom hood/retrofit

Filtration- Modified Herbie design with a 10g submerged sump and lots of ceramic rings, with a mag 5 return.

C02- Custom regulator (built by oldpunk), with a fabco needle valve, beverage factory body, check valve, clippard solenoid, and ADA 30mm pollen diffuser.

Substrate- 5 Bags of Eco-Complete

Fertilizing- EI dosing regime

Plants-
HC
various crypts
peacock moss
java fern
narrow sagg
corkscrew valls
red ozelot sword
kleiner bar sword
anubias
water lettuce
fissidens fontanus
flame mossz

I plan on stocking more stem plants and mosses, just haven't found exactly what I want yet, and I'm waiting for my tank to fully cycle as well as some of the stuff to fill in a bit.

Livestock
1 serpae tetra
2 oto cats
20 RCS
planning on adding 2 discus for an existing tank eventually, maybe once the RCS get larger

Please let me know what you think, and feel free to give me any advice. I'm still undecided on wether or not I want shrimp, and I'm trying to find a perfect piece of driftwood, but this one will have to do for now. I'm looking for advice on what type of schooling fish, whether getting shrimp is a good idea, criticism on the scape, which stem plants do well with discus, if I can fit 3 discus, and if there's anything I'm doing wrong. TIA- Tim Lyons

Last edited by TLyons; 06-03-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here are some pics of the layout and sump

Last edited by TLyons; 06-03-2011 at 02:08 AM.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
nice tank, you could always spread the hc a bit more to get a faster carpet if that's what your aiming for.

----gauny----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
nice tank, you could always spread the hc a bit more to get a faster carpet if that's what your aiming for.
How much smaller should I break it up? I'm just scared that it won't root and will die off if I spread it too thin. But that's probably just my anxiety
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I would do probably a 1/4 of the bunch if you're a bit paranoid others do individual plantlets.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
I would do probably a 1/4 of the bunch if you're a bit paranoid others do individual plantlets.
Yeah, I think i'll probably do that. Just a PITA to plant all those little plugs with tweezers lol.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can anybody give me advice about adding RCS to my discus tank? The discus aren't in yet, but I really want some shrimp and I'm told those are the hardiest. Has anybody successfully kept them with discus? The discus are around 3-4" in diameter right now. I will eventually have lots of vegetation for them to hide in, but I haven't found the stems I want yet. Also, The test kit i've been using is expired I realized, so that's why I've been getting zero reading for most of my params. The good news is that the huge algal bloom that I had is completely gone now, and it's been a couple weeks since I started the cycle. Do you think I should do a WC now? I don;t want to rush things, I just don't have good tests on hand right now. Do you think my tank is about ready for shrimp? I don;t want to wait so long that the dude runs out of them if I do decide to get them.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, so I have a bit of a dilemma now. My tank has been showing good signs of growth, and the algae almost completely died down, and I thought my cycle had finished since it has been over 3 weeks.

So, I went to the LFS and bought 3 oto cats and 3 serpae tetras, and I woke up this morning to find 2 of the three seprae tetras dead, and one oto cat dead.

I have no idea what i'm doing wrong, too much C02 maybe? I don't have accurate dkh4 solution, and I tried to make it, but didn't get the correct reading.

I also don't have a full set of test kits. My ammonia reads zero, but I unfortunately don't have a nitrate or nitrite test because they are expired.

I did a 5 g WC last friday, and i'm expected 20 red cherry shrimp either tomorrow or Thursday, and i'm worried that my tank isn't cycled. What should I do!

Any advice would be awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	updates 018.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	30012  

Last edited by TLyons; 06-08-2011 at 03:14 AM.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So the shrimp came from epicfish, and they are doing well. They are coloring up nice, and i'm excited because this is my first shrimp attempt. One of the females was berried too!

I also got 3 assassin snails to wipe out the small snail population in my tank just just sprang up the other week. I got a small portion of unidentified moss, I think it's flame.

The HC isn't really growing in, but I guess I'll give it some more time.

The only thing i'm worried about is my serpae tetra eating the shrimp. I have seen him snap at a few, but I haven;t actually seen him eat any, and every time I look for shrimp, I can spot no more than 12-15, when my original number was 20. I know one or two died, probably due to acclimation, because I saw them lying on the gravel. (although I did drip acclimate)

Do you guys think I should remove the serpae tetra, or is there enough places for the shrimp to hide?

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FW shrimp 007.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	30111  

Name:	FW shrimp 014.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	30113  

Name:	FW shrimp 017.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	30114  

Last edited by TLyons; 05-03-2011 at 02:26 AM.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
that tank is pretty HOT, i like it a lot. The scape already looks great and it hasn't even fully grown in yet

Definitely looking forward to watching this one progress, nice work and keep it up! ^^

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
that tank is pretty HOT, i like it a lot. The scape already looks great and it hasn't even fully grown in yet

Definitely looking forward to watching this one progress, nice work and keep it up! ^^

Thanks man! It means a lot to have somebody post on here :p. My first high tech setup so i'm really looking forward to it also
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
^^

Also, I think you should be fine with the serpae's, there should be enough places for the shrimp to hide and breed that it shouldn't hurt your population much if at all. Especially once the plants grow in some more, I'm sure the shrimp will be hiding in all that HC too

Don't fret over the losses though, oto's at least can be hurt before you even get them, it took 4 tries for me to find 3 that wouldn't die within a week of getting them, now they're fat and happy. You'll get there

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Do you guys think I should remove the serpae tetra, or is there enough places for the shrimp to hide?
I have 3 and they haven't attacked anything else yet. Never had any problems with them in the past. They like to school so you might try adding a couple more and see if they mellow out. Giving the shrimp a safer hiding place is also a good idea. Your plants look like they will help hide them.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
I have 3 and they haven't attacked anything else yet. Never had any problems with them in the past. They like to school so you might try adding a couple more and see if they mellow out. Giving the shrimp a safer hiding place is also a good idea. Your plants look like they will help hide them.
I want to try and find some tank raised ones, so that they are less likely to eat the shrimp.

On a different note, I've noticed some odd small worms all over my tank. I haven't seen any damage from them yet, but they're really small and they have little burrows out of detritus on my driftwood. I was thinking the might be microworms, but any other thoughts?

2. I'm getting a really thick film on the surface of my water, probably because my system in completely submerged, and there's no surface skimming because I have a herbie design. How should I get rid of it? I was thinking just add a powerhead, because the flow from my return isn't too much power

Advice would be awesome.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not sure how well the shrimp are doing. I can only seem to find no more than 10 of them at a time, and I originally got 20 of them. I have seem multiple white exoskeletons lying around, but i'm not sure if they are dead shrimp or molts. If they are dead, I have no idea what's wrong with my water chemistry, and if my serpae is eating them, I'd figure that he would eat the whole shrimp. Can anybody help me out?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode