LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Mog's 75 gallon tank

Hi all,

This is my first tank, so any advice, recommendations, etc... are welcome

I purchased the equipment used as a package, so I'm working with what came in the package.

1. 75g All-Glass tank.

2. Fluval 304 canister - prefilter bottom, biomax middle, floss top compartments.

3. 150w Visi-therm heater - keeping the temperature at a steady 84 right now while cycling. Will add a 2nd or keep it as a backup.

4. Coralife Aqualight - 2x 64w, 10k, 2x 64k Actinic - will be switching out to 2x 6700k bulbs depending on plant growth.

5. 140lbs of black Eco-complete.

I began the tank last week, planting and starting a fishless cycle on Friday, May 8th. The pH measured 6.8 and I brought the ammonia up to approximately 4.5-5 ppm.

My LFS was kind enough to give me a sponge from their planted tank. I cut that in half and inserted into the filter. I also bought 3 potted plants and left the packing in the tank, hoping it will help seed the tank.

I tested the water last night (Monday, May 11th) and the ammonia was reading 4.0 or so... I'm hoping seeding the tank will help cut down the cycle time, but would have expected the ammonia to be a little lower... we'll see what happens by Friday.

The plants so far:

Purple Cobomba
Anubias
Broad Ludwigia
Jungle Val
Anacharis
Micro Sword
Couple of unknowns

I'm definitely interested in a plant pack, but haven't been quick enough. If anyone has a good pack available for a low tech tank, please let me know.

Also, if anyone would have some recommendation for a nice looking red plant, please let me know. I'm very new and still learning the various plants.

Once the tank cycles, these are going to be the occupants:

2 x Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare)
4 x Cockatoo Apisto (Apistogramma cacatuoides
6 x Fancy Guppies (Poecilia reticulata)
15 x Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi)
15 x Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
6 x Albino Cory (Corydoras aeneus)
10 x Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)

I'm going to use this as my journal and will be updating as things progress. I'll upload some better photo's later this week, the one now was taken on my cell, so sorry for the poor quality pic.

I'm new to the hobby and want to thank everyone here for their help. I'm very glad I found this site, the information and the people here are great!

I'm hoping to start stocking the tank in 3-4 weeks, less if the seeding helps and if there is anyone selling any of the fish that I'm going to stock, please PM me. I would much rather buy from someone here, than the local stores I have here... primarily being Petco and Petsmart. Real LFS's are few and far between in the area...

If you have any comments, suggestions, etc... please post them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	29668  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
Looks like a nice set-up. My only recommendation would be to try starting off with only running 2 65w bulbs. You should be able to grow just about anything with that. 4x65w bulbs right over the tank like that will put you into high light and will probably cause algae problems. But it looks like a awesome set-up, especially for your first!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

Thanks!

I've been researching lighting quite a bit and to be honest, I'm more confused now, than when I started I'm going to stay with low - moderate light plants and use only the two 64w, 10k bulbs for now. As long as the plants stay healthy, even if it's a slow growth, that will be fine for me. And then down the road if I want to experiment with Co2, I can replace the two Actinict bulbs with something else... but hopefully for my setup, the two 10k bulbs will suffice.

This is all started with a $4.95 Betta at Walmart for my 2 year old daughter *laughing*. "Fish" as my daughter named him, now lives in a flourishing 5g tank I actually added 5 ghost shrimp to help with cleanup duty 2 days ago, expecting them to become finger foods for him or for a couple to die off. Suprisingly, he's checked them out and that's about it. All 5 were still kicking as of this morning

Since my tank is still cycling and I haven't kept any fish in this tank yet, will Actinict bulbs bring out the colors in freshwater fish? If not, I'll look into some type of moon lights to use at night in the aqualight.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
The blue will bring out the colors of the fish but it won't make the plants look better. But with multiple bulbs I don't think it's a bad thing to have a little blue. Just comes down to what you like the looks of.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

Last night, being 4 days into the cycle, I decided to test nitrites just for giggles. I wasn't expecting any results that soon, but to my surprise, I'm at 5.0+. And then I tested nitrates and they were at 20ppm.

I seeded the tank with a sponge from my LFG. The sponge came from their plant tank. I also bought 3 potted plants and left the potting material in the tank to help seed.

So it appears seeding the tank gave it a huge kickstart and it's in mid cycle now...

Being it's my first tank and a 75 gallon, I'm really surprised at the results so far, but I'm not complaining whatsoever I was expecting it to be another month or so before I could add some fish to the tank... at this rate, it should be a lot sooner!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Sounds like it is almost finished cycling! For fish, I'd contact msjinkzd or Zid Zulander. I have personally dealt with both and am very pleased.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I ran 4x65w pc and i think that is still low low-med light b/c the reflectors on pc are crap ! BUT that is a great start and good luck to u.

Last edited by cheeman; 04-13-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: I cant spell LOL
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeman View Post
I ran 4x65w pc and i think that is still low low-med light b/c the reflectors on pc are crap ! BUT that is a great start and good luck to u.
Not all PC reflectors are bad, it depends on brand. Although the fact he is running a mix of both 10K and Actnic it probably won't hurt him to leave all 4 on for the time being.

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 04:40 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Welcome to the forum! You remind me a lot of myself when I first started on this forum. Check out my 39G tank in my sig if you don't believe me lol. You're definitely off to a great start. You'll be needing some sort of CO2 injection and fertilization regimen since Eco substrate is not exactly RICH in nutrients. Those are T5HO lights so it'll be plenty to grow plants. The actinic bulb won't benefit plants so yes change them out. I personally don't like 10,000K bulbs because they wash out the colors.

Have fun and ask lots of questions. Search first of course .

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

Thanks!

So the CF in the Aqualight are considered T5HO? Now I'm really confused... if that were the case, according the PAR chart, that would put me into the high category? So far, everyone has been telling me that I'm in the low to possibly medium and that was if I added two 6500k bulbs...

The chart mentiones T8, PC and T5NO and HO lights... where exactly do 64w, 10k CF bulbs fit in?

Also, what does PC stand for?

Still learning...

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
PC is power compact florescent lighting which can also be referred to as cf.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

My Tanks
75 Gallon Planted Community Tank

Also run an LFS so I deal w/ over 30 tanks daily.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

Thanks InStevens

Well, last night ammonia was at .5, dosed it back up. Nitrites reading 5.0+ again and nitrates were at 5.

We'll see what tonight brings Never thought I would be so excited about testing water! lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode