Adam's Rio Nanay/Tigre Biotope - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adam's Rio Nanay/Tigre Biotope

Hi guys,

I made an account ages go however forgot I even made one and have not used this forum so I guess you could say, I am a complete noob Here is one of my 3 tanks I am keeping at the moment.

Here is my new addition to the tank list

Tank
3 x 18 x 20

Substrate
Frazer Island Sand

Filtration
1 x Aqua One Aquis Advanced 1050
1 x Aqua One Aquis 1200

Both filters soon to be replaced with just the one Eheim 2217 that is currently running in the tank

1 x ANS iFlo Filtration Set 17mm Lillypipes (to be put in there soon)

Lighting
1 x Hagen GLO Twin T5 HO light unit.
2 x Hagen GLO Tubes

Heating
1 x Aqua One 300W Heater, To be Upgraded to a Hydor Inline heater as soon as they become available.

Hardscape
Melaleuca (have about 6 more pieces to use from as well that can easily be put in at any stage that are all three foot full pieces as this scape only uses 1)

Plants
Indian Almond Leaves and peat layer (yet to be a full layer throughout the substrate)

Fish
8 x Corydoras Melini
7 x Corydoras Atropersonatus
2 x Apistogramma Trifasciatus (breeding pair)
20 x Lemon Tetras

Soon to put in 15 x Dwarf Pencilfish and replace the lemon tetras

The aim is to get a rio nanay/tigre biotope where both of my corydoras are from, however the apistogrammas I am unsure about? But could not pass up such a beautiful breeding pair. Will hopefully be putting in some apistogrammas that relate to this area if the trifasciatus arent from this specific area.

Some small changes need to be made to the scape as such, including more low lying wood from the wood I still have spare (6 3 foot pieces I can cut up and use) and give them more of a "hut" style layout. I am still playin around with the scape as such and getting it right but the fish are loving the environment and the very low pH

First thing is first (which I know many will comment on instantly) is the hydor inline heater needs to go in the tank ASAP as the sight of this ugly aqua one heater is just ruining the scape. And also I need to be a better photographer so I can really show what the aquascape is like rather than my dodgey pics. Will update once more wood is added and it is more "filled out" on the bottom with more of a nest of wood throughout whole bottom.

FULL tank shots:

Fish shots:

Cheers,

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 AM
ADA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Really nice! I love it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•••
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•••
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Was messing around with the tank tonight. Got a few things done with improving the hardscape and also added a tonne more peat (excuse the massive peat whirlpool currently taking place that replicates a massive haze in the water column.

I still need to make some changes to the hardscape but it is improving to a better standard. I also need to add some more leaves and more peat over time and let it all break down

I am happy with where this tank is heading I just need to wait for my inline heater to be ordered once Age of Aquariums get them back in stock. Once they are back in stock then it will be nearing its finishing stage.

FOR NOW IM HAPPY

There is plenty of leaf breakdown and mulm and peat build up within the woodwork on the bottom layer and also throughout the whole floor substrate just cannot see in the pictures and more of a see in real life tank haha. I will have Zane come round tomorrow so he can leave a comment on the tank in person when he sees it.

I will update the tank pics once the peat cloudstorm has settled down as I recon it will make it look ten thousand times better once it is crystal clear tank

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

bit of an update ONCE IT CLEARED;;;

some pics I took and since things have settled down. Unsure if I am happy with the top half of the tank but the bottom is definitely finished with addition of some more leaves and peat to come

FTS:

Male Apistogramma Trifasciata

Corydoras Atropersonatus chilling in the mulm and gunk that replicates how it should be

Corydoras Atropersonatus and Apistogramma Trifasciatus female

Adam
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I was itching to set up a blackwater biotope.. this just makes me itch even more!! Beautiful tank man.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode