latnem's 55g High-Tech first timer! R.I.P. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
latnem's 55g High-Tech first timer! R.I.P.

R.I.P. 55G Tore it down 7/24/11

Gonna start anew

Equipment:

55 Galon Tank
Marineland 200w Heater
Top Fin Power Filter 60
Petco 124 GPH Power Head
Glo T5 HO Double Linear Fluorescent Fixture 48" (2x54w)
x2 Life-GLO T5 HO 6700k 54w
Floura-Max Substrate (Midnight)
20lb CO2 Tank
Milwaukee MA957 Regulator

Flora:

HC
Red Ludwigia
Java Moss
American Vals
Micro Sword Narrow Leaf
Cabomba
Water Wisteria

Fert:

Dry Ferts
Estimative Index Dosing Regimen

Fauna:

6 Otos
2 Peppered Corys
10 Neon Tetras
9 Cardinal Tetras
8 Rummynose Tetras
4 Assassin Snails
15 Amano Shrimp
5 OEBTs

Some dated tank shots starting with most current. Sorry I am not a good camera man at all!

7 / 10 / 11 Current

4 / 17 / 11

4 / 11 / 11

Last edited by latnem; 07-27-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice start. You may want to do more then one diy co2. just a thought I tried to do the diy co2! not so good for me. but it all comes with time !!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Very nice, but I'm afraid that it may not qualify to be high tech. Usually high tech refers to high light (okay, you have medium) and pressurized CO2. Not really DIY CO2... But looks great nevertheless.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeman View Post
Nice start. You may want to do more then one diy co2. just a thought I tried to do the diy co2! not so good for me. but it all comes with time !!
Thanks! I am currently researching a better co2 system (looking into the paintball tank) Hopefully this will cut it until i can afford a better system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Very nice, but I'm afraid that it may not qualify to be high tech. Usually high tech refers to high light (okay, you have medium) and pressurized CO2. Not really DIY CO2... But looks great nevertheless.
Thanks, I'll try to change the title to medium tech ;o.

I bought this light in the hopes to achieve good lighting, it ends up being about 2wpg. Hopefully that's good enough to grow the plants I currently have.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

4 / 12 / 11

well....issues have arisen.

Today I noticed very small snails roaming around, looks like they came in with one of the plants. Snails annoy me. Thinking of getting a few clown loaches to hopefully fix this issue.

Noticed a white sort of fungus growing in random spots around my tank (similar to a spiderweb). I read this is common with a new tank and hopefully will pass in time..its clogging my co2 diffuser and causing bubbles to become very large.

My flora-max substrate clouds the water when you disturb it. I think it coats my plants leaves with dark stuff and makes the plants look darker than they should, maybe even also blocks light. I guess I will have to purchase a brush and try to clean all the plant leaves.

Any suggestions would be nice!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by latnem View Post
4 / 12 / 11

Noticed a white sort of fungus growing in random spots around my tank (similar to a spiderweb). I read this is common with a new tank and hopefully will pass in time..its clogging my co2 diffuser and causing bubbles to become very large.
I had the same issue when I installed my DIY Co2. I would get white stuff that would completely surround my airstone on my co2 and other stuff..

I made a post about it, people told me different kinds of things that could be casing that problem, one was overfeeding, the other was protein film, others said It would go away with time..

I had to get in there and wipe my aquarium walls... gladly It never came back. Week later I upgraded to a pressurized co2 and never seen the damn thing since.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Cool man I'm planning on getting a pressurized system too. Hopefully I can get rid of the stuff as easy as you did

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:42 AM
Discus freak

one question, I just planted some Madagascars in my aquarium... any tips?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

When I got mine it already had leaves, so I cant say much about growing from a bulb. Once it starts growing though, make sure you are very careful with the leaves. They are way fragile. I had to get rid of my bala sharks because they would pick at the leaves and break them. They did so much damage to it I recently removed it

So yeah lesson learned, And there was some damage on the leaves when it arrived in the mail, I think bulbs are the way to go.

Where did you get the bulbs? I want to order some

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Discus freak

I ordered some bulbs from Liveaquaria.com

Mine have been growing like crazy! I swear these plants grow quick... The plant arrived with 2 damaged leaves, no worries tho... It sprouted 2 new ones in 1 day... It's an amazing plant to look at.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

4 / 17 / 11

Tank Update!

I rescaped my tank and added another piece of wood. Also upgraded my CO2, not to pressurized yet but now I have a 2 Bottle setup.

Also got some Otos and Assassin Snails!

Last edited by latnem; 04-21-2011 at 03:58 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

4 / 20 / 11

So I removed my red root floaters, they were just a pain to manage. They would float around the tank occasionally and get damaged from my HOB filter. I had them pretty well in place with a fish line and suction cups but they still managed to float around. I'm also dealing with an algae problem and seemed to be most concentrated below the shade of the floaters. Plants were also doing bad under them, not sure how people manage nice growth under floating plants.

Added an Anubis Nana and lost an Oto . They seem to like just hanging out on the back wall of the tank.

My bubble ladder diffuser gave me a lot of problems, bubbles of CO2 would escape with no diffusion. So I made a DIY diffuser using a cheap under water filter. It works great so far, it blasts a burst of fine mist. Very very fine bubbles, much better than the bubble ladder.

Last edited by latnem; 04-21-2011 at 07:21 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like a nice start, it will look great when all grown in!

-Retired.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
-Davey the Bearded dragon.
-Couple little rescue lap dogs: Boots and Teddy.
-2 Holland lop house rabbits- Percy and Pippen.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Very nice start and good choice on the new wood. Looks very nice and cannot wait to see it mature. Good job on the updates too.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7

President.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sorry for the lack of updates! So I got my pressurized CO2 setup.

I am currently diffusing it with a new 124GPH Power Head I recently purchased. Helps with my water flow and seems to be diffusing well.

Here are some tank shots:

I have had to do a lot of hacking and slashing to my plants due to Algae outbreaks, I'm hoping I can stabilize things.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode