my wife says no more tanks for 2 years... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
my wife says no more tanks for 2 years...

About a week ago I went from this

55 Gallon:

to this

75 Gallon:

I have been eye-balling this hunk of wood for awhile and I finally bit the bullet and bought it. Malaysian Mangrove:

Decided I'd try Micro Sword again. The plant that the baby loach is on was labeled Pygmy Sword.

Sword I kept from the 55:

Is this Rotalla? When I got this awhile back the top was red then got a serious case of algae. After a hydrogen peroxide dip the red has gone. Hopefully it will return.

I had this piece of mopani laying down in the 55, hence why the Java Fern is tied so high up. I will probaby tie it to the bottom portion. Alot of plantlets coming from the leaves.

My Ludwigia Repens seems to always be doing good.

Ok, here is what was in the pot labeled Pygmy Sword. The thinner one on the left was part of a runner from the one on the right.

Not sure exactly what this one is called but I love the color. It was labeled as Scarlett Temple.

Another Java Fern.

My Anubias. I actually bought this about a couple months or so ago from Petsmart. It was in a tube and only had 3 leaves on it.

Look at those roots.

2 more of the Scarlets.

Some more of the Rotalla and a decent shot of a surviving baby platy (see further down).

My Wysteria. A couple of these started very, very small and from a tube.

I tried to get a shot of the color of the Lud, but The cell phone does not capture it too well.

Here's a another shot of the (?) Pygmy and 1 of the baby loaches eating.

1 of the 5 baby loaches I discovered living in my filter awhile ago. I tried to get shots of all of them but they wouldn't sit still long enough.

1 of 2 Sunburst Platy's I also discovered in the filter.

Substrate: Miracle Gro Organic topped with 100 lbs of pool filter sand
Filters: 2 Fluval 405's
Lighting: Zoo Med 48" T5HO with 1 Flora bulb and 1 daylight bulb, also Zoo Med. Soon I will be upgrading to a Catalina Solar T5.
Pressurized CO2 using paintball tank and Rena ceramic stone. I also added a Koralia 750 to help circulate the co2 around. I have a reactor that I built but thought I would try the stone out.
EI dry fert dosing just recently being started.

Occupants include:
9 Dojo Loaches: 2 golden and 7 brown. 5 of those brown being the babies.
3 Red Wag Platy's
4 Sunburst Platy's, 2 being the babies.
3 Dalmation Mollies. My wife picked them out and I love them. They actually come up to my hands when I'm working in the tank. I've wanted this from the loaches but they won't even let me touch them!
4 Oto's
5 Neon Tetras
4 Black Neon Tetras
2 Minor Red Tetras
5 Danios

All the fish came over from the 55 without any problems at all.

As for the plants, All the corkscrew vals I had in the 55 melted in the 75. During the recent rescape when I added the new wood I threw it all out. I also threw out about 4 swords and a hand full of Ludwigia when I transferred everything to the new tank.

The left side of the tank is somewhat vacant. If the swords don't do much better I am going to pull them and put put something else in. I want something with color but the only local LFS hardly has anything and when they do it is pretty costly.

Thanks for looking and all comments welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Curious, why 2 years? LOL. Nice tank.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Next time she brings home a pair of shoes, you can say no more for 2 years too! Nice tank. I wish I could upgrade my tank.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KShoes View Post
Next time she brings home a pair of shoes, you can say no more for 2 years too! Nice tank. I wish I could upgrade my tank.
Love it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all!

As far as my wife and her shoes...I think about 30 cows worth...she doesn't go shopping at all. Yes, I know...a woman who doesn't shop, go figure. But seriously...she just gave me an evil look for posting this.

Thanks again!

Also, I'm not sure why 2 years. That is just what she said.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission - quote other forum member forgot who
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, I had permission before I brought it home. An added bonus was I had the 55 sold before buying the 75. Worked out. Originally she told me I could get the 75 next month but was ok with getting it early because I had the other sold.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
oh i was referring to getting more tanks down the line if need be .....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wait. Did you have your dojos breed in your tank?! NICE. That's seldom stumbled across. Where did you get them?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid." - Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~ 15g rimless (coming soon) ~~~ 20g rimless (coming soon)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes, they actually bred in the 55. I got the 2 goldens from petsmart and the 2 browns from petco. About a month or so ago, when I had an XP4, I was having issues with it. I was looking through the filter trying to figure out why there was about an inch of air on the top and noticed a baby platy swimming around in there. I tore the filter down and discovered 2 baby platy's and 6 baby loaches.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz07 View Post
yes, they actually bred in the 55. I got the 2 goldens from petsmart and the 2 browns from petco. About a month or so ago, when I had an XP4, I was having issues with it. I was looking through the filter trying to figure out why there was about an inch of air on the top and noticed a baby platy swimming around in there. I tore the filter down and discovered 2 baby platy's and 6 baby loaches.
That's cool! Good thing you looked in there. When my hubby starts saying I have too many tanks, I just look out the window. He has too many car projects! LOL. Guess we're even.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
the plant you are refering to as a rotala looks to me like Limnophilia aromatica. good job on the 75!

and i agree, easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
the plant you are refering to as a rotala looks to me like Limnophilia aromatica. good job on the 75!

and i agree, easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
You know, that name sounds about right. I was at the LFS yesterday and he had another one, but I plum forget it already. But still, that does sound right. Although mine still hasn't turned back to read again after the algae encounter then the peroxide dip. I may need to also dose Iron, but not too sure. He also got in another piece of Malaysian Mangrove that I liked as much as what I have now. I may end up buying it soon and just letting it soak for the next rescape. Both will not fit in the tank together, it would be too much.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Small update:

I added this this evening:

As you can kinda see, I tried something a little different where the CO2 enters. I used a 45 degree angle so the CO2 rises with the incoming water. The filter I bought, not much here locally to choose from, has a valve built into the top (Bypass/Off/Filter) so there wasn't anywhere to drill for the gas.

I had a pvc reactor on the 55, but after I set up the 75 I used it for a few days then decided to try a ceramic diffuser.

I am happy so far with the new one.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics too!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode