Rebuilding my pond. FINISHED! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Rebuilding my pond. FINISHED!

Lil background, Built this 7' long x3.5 wide x2.5' deep pond 5-6 years ago as a naive college student. During a winter 2 years ago, something burrowed down and put a softball sized hole on the side of the liner. Unlucky for me the pump was set high and burned out with the lack of water. Everything died as I usually don't check up on my pond during the winter.

I still don't know what it was, anybody have a guess? I live on Long Island, NY.

Well it's spring and I got bit by the the koi bug again! So here we go.

How the pond looked with stones removed.

There was about a foot of dirt and muck I had to shovel out after draining the water. It must of gotten in through the hole in the liner.

After taking out the liner, I enlarged the pond to 7.5' long x 5.5' wide x3' deep in an oval shape and smoothed everything out. It was the maximum size my mom would let me do. >.>* I'm building a HUGEEEE koi pond when I have my own house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ValorG; 04-12-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Filling the pond

Filled! yay

Using retaining blocks, its a bit unorthodox but, I like the look and the weight. The sides and back will be regular flagstone/fieldstone. Will probably add another tier on the small waterfall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is the diy filter. I'll be using bioballs as the filter media. Leaving space at the top of the top bucket for some mechanical filtration media. Small piece of pvc pipe will act as an overflow once the mechanical media becomes clogged so water doesn't spill out of the top. Water is pumped to the top, trickles through the bio-balls and gravity brings it back into the pond. Simple and cheap but works well for small ponds.

Inside the top

Inside the bottom

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
i love the fishtank in the background

SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It covers the gfi/ outlet

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
lol

SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
maybe a groundhog. they are known for putting holes in swimming pools. your diy filter looks really cool.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlower View Post
maybe a groundhog. they are known for putting holes in swimming pools. your diy filter looks really cool.
Hmmm never heard of groundhogs living on Long island though. But thanks for the input, I'll see if they can be found here.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A week into the project and 3 pounds lighter and its done. Everything is plumbed and running with no leaks. Made a small viewing area with the extra stones I had. Love the sound of the waterfall. Measures 7.5' long x 5.5' wide x 3' deep = 926 gallons.

READY FOR KOI! WOOOOO Can't wait :P Contemplating putting a red Japanese maple where the bamboo is right now (red pot)

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

High Grade Koi from Japan. I think she's a Showa. Cost me $80 and she's only 6" :X. But I had to have her!!!! Love at first sight. -red

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Nice work!!

So... when are you starting on the next pond?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! When I move out of my parents house and have no restrictions on size is when I shall build my dream pond. I gotta start saving up haha =D

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Looks good! Are you going to put any plants in there?

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^ no plants, I want to put some around the pond but not inside. Since it is a small pond for koi I wanted as much room as possible.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
You should get a vine to grow on the fence in the background. Lattice trellis would help blend it all too.

Beautiful fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode