My ADA Style Iwagumi Tank (20G) *Scape added* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
My ADA Style Iwagumi Tank (20G) *Scape added*

Redid this first post:

These are progression pictures so you can kinda see how it developed. Tank specs are as follows:

Tank: Top Fin 20G
Filter: Eheim 2215
Lights: 2x24W T5HO
Stand: Manhattan Stand
Heater: N/A
Paintball C02

Flora:
Dwarf Baby Tears(HC)
Micro Sword

Fish:
Neon Tetras
German Blue Ram
Oto Cats

Please feel free to leave any feedback you feel you want to leave. I am very open to suggestions and changes.

Last edited by GDP; 04-22-2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seems good to me. I'll make my judgements once I see more pictures.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 02:11 AM
Algae Grower

Is that microsword? If I were you id separate the bunches a littlemore to no algae grows and nothing get caught in the stalks. Also they like their room, ive learned that from experience.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I guess its hard to say wether or not it will look any good like that until its actually in the tank. And I may adjust on the fly.

Yep that is microsword. Also what do you mean they like their room? You mean they grow fast or just spread out a lot?
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The Ryouh rocks shipped! Huge thanks to Frank @ ADGShop.com! I have not personally seen the rocks but I informed Frank what I was looking to do so I cant wait to see if I can pull this off.

Do you guys think I could place the microsword any differently? Like maybe more bunched up or even spread apart like already mentioned? Although im not sure I was to spread them out anymore as I only want it to be where its behind the rocks or soil. But still open to suggestions.

I also forgot to explain that the supporting two bigger rocks would be on top of a dirt mound sorta. Not as high as the center piece but noticable. I want to give the appearence of rolling hills. And I think down the center I will make a smallish valley starting from the big rock down throug the two smallest and to the front getting progressively bigger.

Yellow is the valley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	current plan.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	29565  

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Algae Grower

Microsword can often collect debris in a tight bunch which can be bad for a tank. It is ultimately up to you to decide what you do. I have better success of creating a some what carpet effect with it if I divide it up into a lot of little plants (3-4 leaves). I can be a pain in the ass but once they take proper root and start propagating it will look great. Of course its up to you and the look you want.

I know you wanted HC to create a carpet but you could create another taller carpet like effect with the microsword.

What livestock are you going to keep in the tank?
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh ok yeah I have noticed before the microsword does tend to collect debris. But I deffinately dont want to make a carpet out of it. As far as livestock probably a few otos and neon tertas. Plus 1 german blue ram.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

edited

Last edited by GDP; 04-22-2011 at 12:07 PM.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do not know if it helps but I would not push the 2 rocks together.
See how it looks with a break in the center.

Maybe move the one on the left of the pic forward a bit. Try to move the little one in the front left towards the right side standing up. It seems to have a nice pointed side.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
Awesome project man, I'll be reading this in the future

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
Do not know if it helps but I would not push the 2 rocks together.
See how it looks with a break in the center.

Maybe move the one on the left of the pic forward a bit. Try to move the little one in the front left towards the right side standing up. It seems to have a nice pointed side.
I agree with the two rocks not being joined. I thought it would work but it didnt. I redid it again. Oh and that rock is pretty round, really no sharp point to it, i wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarsx View Post
Awesome project man, I'll be reading this in the future
Thanks I appreciate it. I am going to eventually get a real ADA tank however that will probably end up going in the living room as more of a piece of art for the house. This one is currently in my room where I spend most of my time.

Last edited by GDP; 04-22-2011 at 12:07 PM.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like the most recent layout that you've done the best. When you don't have a ton of stones to work with, it can be difficult to get a layout that you really like. I think you're onto something decent here, keep up the good work.

One recommendation that I have and found that helped me a lot with becoming more satisfied with my aquascapes was to mess around with the slope a lot. Try to create some movement from one side of the tank to the other. Maybe try to pile up some of the substrate around where the stone is to make it seem as though it continues underneath or perhaps lower the area in between the two prominent stones a bit, so as to draw the viewer's eye there even more.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
Damn I really need a real camera.
Yea you and me both.

I'm going to agree with Armonious about the slope.

Stones look better now.
In your first post you said that your getting AS? If so your going to have to empty the tank. Doing that you get to play with the slope and arrangement of the Stones.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armonious View Post
I like the most recent layout that you've done the best. When you don't have a ton of stones to work with, it can be difficult to get a layout that you really like. I think you're onto something decent here, keep up the good work.

One recommendation that I have and found that helped me a lot with becoming more satisfied with my aquascapes was to mess around with the slope a lot. Try to create some movement from one side of the tank to the other. Maybe try to pile up some of the substrate around where the stone is to make it seem as though it continues underneath or perhaps lower the area in between the two prominent stones a bit, so as to draw the viewer's eye there even more.
What you see in the tank is pretty much everything I have save a few rubble size stones, so yaeh it kinda sucks lol. Yeah I was going to get AS amazonia I but decided against it. The reason being is that I already have a good amount of soil (or rather gravel with soil undeneath) already and will jus get a cap of some sort. Im thinking either powder amazonia or Caribsea supernatrual black sand.

I will then use that to do the scape of the substrate. I also figure such a fine type substrate will help with planting the HC when I get it. I should also mention I actually did kind of pile the gravel around the base of the two big rocks, but you just cant see it too well in the pictures for some reason. I guess I need to do more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuya View Post
Yea you and me both.

I'm going to agree with Armonious about the slope.

Stones look better now.
In your first post you said that your getting AS? If so your going to have to empty the tank. Doing that you get to play with the slope and arrangement of the Stones.
No I decided against the AS. Thinking about using a sand cap instead or AS powder.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Planted Member

It's cool just try to see if you can make a slope from front to back.

Tags
20g tank, iwugami

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode