My very first (2) planted tanks (wont be 56k friendly for long) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Talking My very first (2) planted tanks (wont be 56k friendly for long)

I decided to get back into aquariums a few months ago and bought three tank/stand comboss from craigslist for a song practically. Then I started looking around on google images for pictures of things that looked cool and came across some great iwagumi and dutch aquascapes. So I've been reading here for a couple months, been gathering things, and stuff, and parts to put a couple of the tanks together. (The third 27 gallon hex tank may get planted at some point but it only has 14 watts of light and I'm not going halide pendant light so this will prolly stay fish only with some low tech low light plants and some hardscape) Luckily I live in a place where you can find an endless supply of great, cool looking rocks at the beaches, quarrys, and rivers here so I don't need to go spent a mint on ADA stone. I could surely find some great hardwood driftwood here too but I said screw it and bought a great piece from manzanita.com.

I have a bunch of pics of the rocks I currently have if anyone wants to see them, and since I seemed to have developed an obsessive need to scan for cool wood and rock anytime my wife and i drive anywhere there will probably be more to come.

SO...my tanks are still without water with the exception of the hex which has an alamingly large amount of nothing but water and gravel

But I am really going batty trying to be patient while I gather the things I need to put them all together so here is the beginning of my two tank journal. I'm planning to go pretty straightforward Iwagumi with the "big" tank (36x12.25x23, 42.3 gal) and since I am adding a sizeable chunk of manzanita to the "small" tank (30x12.25x18 27.4 gal) I am going to make it look like a little slice of river somewhere instead of a field in the middle of Ireland somewhere with oddly fish shaped birds flying around like the big tank.

So heres the stats, list of stuff I have, and half formed plans for the things I don't. There are a few pics but I'm sure this thread will become the stuff 56k modems are terrified by in their worst dreams before too terribly long...

Big Tank "Iwagumi"
36"wx12.25"dx23"t (with the sleazy faux oak trim)

Light
4x36" T5HO Odyssea
(F) Odyssea 6500k
(M) Zoo Med Flora Sun Plant tube
(M) Zoo Med Flora Sun Plant tube
(R) Zoo Med Ocean Sun 10,000k

(4 Blue LED "moonlight" lights)

Equipment
Cascade 1500 canister filter
Hydor Korelia Nano 425 powerhead
Via Aqua 200w glass heater

co2
10lb co2 tank
2.5lb spare co2 tank (purchased when I found out the quickest turnaround time at my local refilling spots was 1 week)
Azoo dual stage regulator
What I think is the "UP aqua" bottom to top style bubble counter (dunno, got them from eBay)
Rex Grigg reactor (with bio balls in it)

Substrate
A mix of:
Eco Complete
Caribsea Floramax
black flourite
black flourite sand (topmost layer)
red flourite
(and maybe some Turface or more FloraMax [$16 a bag but it's black] if I need more mass for mounding)

FERTS
Root Medic complete kit (root tabs, macro, micro) until I learn more, then will prolly be doing dry ferts from GLA.

Hardscape
Some of these (and maybe some smaller stuff to round out the natural appearance):

Flora:
So far I'm liking these? Definitely open to ideas.

Foreground
LILAEOPSIS BRASILIENSIS
Lilaeopsis Mauritiana

Midground
Marsilea quadrifolia
HEMIANTHUS CALLITRICHOIDES

Background
Eleocharis Vivipara
ELEOCHARIS ACICULARIS

Fauna:
I want to put a big school of Neons, Cardinals, or something similar, maybe glowlight rasbora, probably some CRS and/or CBS, some MTS and some ramshorn snails

Little Tank "Wabi Sabi"
30"wx12.25"dx18"t (also with sleazy faux oak trim)
Ignore the HOB filter, it's not staying...

Light
4x24" T5HO Odyssea
(F) Odyssea 6500k
(M) Odyssea "FW Plant tube" (really dark red)
(M) Odyssea "FW Plant tube" (pinkish almost UV looking color)
(R) Odyssea 10,000k
(4 Blue LED "moonlight" lights)

Equipment
Cascade 1500 canister filter
Hydor Korelia Nano 425 powerhead
Via Aqua 200w glass heater

co2
2x20oz paintball tanks
Jaggedfury Option 3 reg
UP aqua bottom to top bubble counter
Rex Grigg reactor (w/bio balls)

Substrate
Same as Big tank plus some pure white sand for a plantless either "beach" or "stream" looking area (underlined with clear "report cover" plastic to keep it plant free)

Ferts
Same as "Big Tank"

Hardscape/Driftwood
Stone from the same group as the Big Tank, plus this guy:

Another angle:

Flora
In this tank theres going to be more of a free feel, I like java moss and fern, anubias, dwarf hairgrass, riccia, rotala, blyxa japonica, Alternanthera reineckii, Barclaya longifolia, and Cryptocorynes. I have ideas, but this tank is less well thought out for me so far...(and remember, I've never grown anything but fish, snails, and crayfish in an aquarium before!)

Fauna
I like tetras, rasboras, plecos, sharks, MTS, CBS, CRS, I really like the thought of having shrimps in this tank because they are so much fun to watch, but I also want a nice mix of cool, almost amazonian looking fish in here so I need to find things that I can keep the shrimps safe from or that wont care about them in the first place.

I would love to hear any advice, opinions, suggestions, anything...my aquatic background is as a koi keeper so this is all new and I only know the tiny bit I've been able to learn over the past couple months...

Thanks for looking!
Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FINALLY!!! I actually have some planted tanks!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I find it better to tackle one tank at a time but perhaps you are a better multitasker than I.

You can paint the wood trim or put Formica overlay on top of it if you want too to get rid of that "cheesy" 1987-1998 look.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
the "big tank" is a 38 gallon and the "small tank" is a 29 gallon right

SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
you have a ton of light over those tanks.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
I find it better to tackle one tank at a time but perhaps you are a better multitasker than I.

You can paint the wood trim or put Formica overlay on top of it if you want too to get rid of that "cheesy" 1987-1998 look.
But they're all here!! I can't just leave them empty

So far I am determined to make these tanks look great now matter what the trim...I almost feel like painting over the wood would be cheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHockey View Post
the "big tank" is a 38 gallon and the "small tank" is a 29 gallon right
The "big" tank is 42(.3), and the little tank is 27(.4) by my calculations (or calculator at least, online) Not sure what the original mfg said they were when they sold them at the LFS but the guy I bought them from said 30, 40(hex), and 50 which isn't even close same calc gave me 27 for the hex so that should have been 27, 27, and 42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
you have a ton of light over those tanks.
Light I definitely have a massive amount of. I'm going to be doing what I can where I can to cover for it. (lots of co2, ferts, shorter light periods, and anything that gets suggested here that works)

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Okay, well after you feel the inside is as good as you can get it maybe then.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmmmm.....when I get the hang of this...I do have a 180 gallon tank in my storage space that already has black frames...(not that it would fit in my current apt)...but let me get these things going before I start thinking bigger/better...

I can't even imagine what the substrate would cost

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerCribben View Post
I can't even imagine what the substrate would cost
MTS/Turface/sand

I hear that a 50# bag of turface gives a few inches in 100 gal, and a 50# bag is less than 15$ most places.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, lets see if I manage to not fail miserably on these guys first, then I'll start looking for an apt big enough to run my 180 gallon too lol...

On a side note, been reading the Amano "complete works" book and really with there was a legend to go with the flora and fauna lists. Something like this:

It's sort of hard to complain about a book that is that well put together though.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Just a suggestion if I may post pics to the string at 800x600 so the post doesn't explode beyond my monitors display ability.

(this is going to be a really cool thread, subscribed )

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No prob Mike, is there a functuion here on the site that will do it automatically or is that something I need to do prior to uploading to photobucket?

I could definitely resize my pics before uploading, but man a button that just autosized pics when I add them to the thread would definitely make it a lot easier!

now I'm off to utilize the search button for the word "resize"...

:::I figured out how to resize and save a copy right in Photobucket so no worries::

Last edited by DerCribben; 04-06-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: New Info
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, so I've done a bit of a flip here. I'm going to do the iwagumi in the smaller tank and the wabi sabi driftwood tank in the larger tank. I pretty much have all I need except the ferts and plants at this point. I do have a couple more pieces of manzanita coming for the hex tank and a little addition to the big tank.

Here's the plant lineup:
Iwagumi

Definitely:
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (cobra Grass)
Blyxa Japonica
Marsilea Quadrifolia
Eleocharis acicularis (Dwarf Hairgrass)

Possibly also if I can make it work:
riccia fluitans
HC

Wabi Sabi

Rotala Colorata
Rotala Macrandra
Tonina fluviatilis
Syngonanthus sp. belem
Anubias Nana Petites
Anubias Barteri
Anubias Nana
Crypt Spiralis
Crypt Petchii
crypt wendtii
Crypt Balansae
HC
riccia
Marsilea Quadrifolia
Blyxa Japonica
hygrophila polysperma
ludwigia arcuata
Microsorum pteropus
Echinodorus amazonicus
java fern
Vesicularia montagnei (christmas moss)
Taxiphyllum barbieri (java moss)
Najas indica
Amazon Frogbit

Some of the moss, Jave fern, frogbit, and anubias barteri is going in my low light hex tank along with some hornwort. I think this is going to be the tank that I put the CBS that I want to get later.

The Iwagumi is probably only going to have neons, amano shrimp, and MTS in it, and the Wabi Sabi will have MTS, some cool fish, and some RCS in it (starting the RCS first with the plants to give them a breeding head start)

No more pictures for now because nothings changed but that is where things stand as of right now...

Chris

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Fisrt shot at an aquascape on the Iwagumi...there will still be some mounding of substrate around the large clump of stones and some in other places before I add water and plants..

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok so a shot of my bigger tank with water, manzanita, and some plants...with some of the plants I stuck in the substrate floating after un"stuck"ing themselves not bad for a first try though

and a new iwagumi scape on the smaller one, actually resembling an iwagumi layout but still no plants

Annnd my "wife's" tank...with her (grumble) no fishing shark. Next time you see this, it will have a bag of red flourite and half bag of black flourite, some stones, and a bunch of manzanita in there (with the shark)

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
nice start!

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode