Gold Rush-My 90 Gallon Tank Build-Update Pics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Gold Rush-My 90 Gallon Tank Build-Update Pics

This is my old 90 gallon reef tank being rebuilt as a planted tank with goldfish. Finally, after much cleaning, taking off pumps, plumbing, the halides and VHO's, we have new Sunlight Supply ready-fit 2X 54 watt HO T-5's & water!

The lighting is super bright. I got 2 Aqua-flora bulbs. Picked up the lighting yesterday. I am pleased so far with how they look.

the old sump will become a bio-filter

Last edited by waterfaller1; 05-17-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Some pics of this tank being built.

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Hahahaha- KNEW you couldn't stay away from planted for long!

Looks awesome, Carole!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I recognize those tank build pictures from SWF.com.
I went all planted too.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Hahahaha- KNEW you couldn't stay away from planted for long!

Looks awesome, Carole!
Haha...I started with nanos...now going BIG! Maybe I won't have to trim every week...hmmm
Notice hubby hasn't cut his hair since those build pics were taken..
Thanks Lauralee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkprZ View Post
I recognize those tank build pictures from SWF.com.
I went all planted too.
Oh my a blast from the past...swf.com. That was my first fish forum ever. I joined there because I was desperate to find out if the poor cucumber the girl at petland squeezed would live. He didn't...
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
its good to see you didn't get out of aquatics all together. I needed a break from reefing, after a serious crash. lost 90% of everything, I'm not sure if you remmeber my stuff but I had a mindblowing collection of oddball rares and hideously expensive stuff. I just didnt have the heart to try and sink another 7 grand into the tank to get it back to near where it was. I still lurk the forums but I'm tired of the reef scene.

I cant wait to see your tank progress in the near future. good to see you again.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
I love builds like these that are more complicated then your usual build with a canister filter. Do the pumps make alot of noise?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkprZ View Post
its good to see you didn't get out of aquatics all together. I needed a break from reefing, after a serious crash. lost 90% of everything, I'm not sure if you remmeber my stuff but I had a mindblowing collection of oddball rares and hideously expensive stuff. I just didnt have the heart to try and sink another 7 grand into the tank to get it back to near where it was. I still lurk the forums but I'm tired of the reef scene.

I cant wait to see your tank progress in the near future. good to see you again.
Hello! I believe I do remember your tank. Lots of beautiful LPS? Similar story for us in a way. We had a several year battle with majanoes taking over the tank. In 07', I removed all the beautiful corals and added a raccoon butterfly. He eradicated them! But the tank just never returned to it's former glory. I loved my fish and inverts, some of which we had since we started in 03'. But it was an eyesore otherwise, IMO. I couldn't either find, or afford all the great corals I once had. This will be nice, the goldies need the bigger tank anyway. And, my electric bill has already dropped $100. a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
I love builds like these that are more complicated then your usual build with a canister filter. Do the pumps make alot of noise?
No, they are fairly quiet. We are only using one. The ones in the original build up on the back wall were for a closed loop. In those pics the return pump was not in place, which you can now see in the new pics. They are Bluline 850 GPH, and only use 40 watts. Unfortunately they do not make them anymore. BUT, since we have three, we should be able to get parts from the other two if anything goes wrong with the one we are using. We had much more noise from the fans we were using. Hubby is going to stop and pick up new ones today. I pray they are quieter!

Thanks a lot.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
wow i might look into that. I was planning on using mag pumps but a mag 9.5 takes double the electricity. Do they still sell them?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Mag pumps put a ton of heat in the water too. You might find one on a shelf some place...or? Maybe a smaller online site? Most pumps use a ton of electricity. I think average for this size is 90 watts or more.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

If you get a snapper pump, they are a good pump. I would rather have an external than an internal. Darts for bigger tanks, like 180 g. Then the big boys are barracuda and hammerhead.
http://www.reeflopumps.com/
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just need it for a 90 gallon tank also but its for a cichlid...... Thanks for the link
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That looks awesome Carole!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you!
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode