Evolution: From ARLC to Planted Tank (56K Warning!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Evolution: From ARLC to Planted Tank (56K Warning!)

Going through my old pics I was amazed at how much my tank has changed since I first decided to start experimenting with plants. I've found enough pictorial evidence to conclude that I am now thoroughly hooked. The following pics should illustrate my conversion. The first pic is from July of 2004, the last from December, 25th of 2004.

Enter CO2

The last pic was from Christmas night and things have changed even more since then, but I don't have any good pics of late. I'll post a recent pic when I get a chance. Sorry for sucking up all of your bandwidth

The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Algae Grower

Wow.

Double wow at the fact you're able to keep plants with mbunas.

I'm playing around with the idea of a hybrid planted-ARLC tank (55g, I know, not enough depth), but I want viable low-light options. I'll probably stock with A.nana petite, java ferns, vals, a dwarf sag carpet, crypts (as long as they don't tear into them too much). Any pointers?

Eheim #94----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I could say so many things but two stand out:

1] Don't worry about what you think they might eat, just try it, it's worked well for me.

2] OK, they will eat a few things Stay away from vals and Java moss. They'll eat the vals and will shred the Java moss just becasue they enjoy the sport of it. Most other plants, crypts especially, I've had good luck with. Without CO2 your choices will obviously be limited, but don't let the hard water warnings you read on other sites scare you. There are a few plants that I've found that don't seem to tolerate the hard water well (R. macrandra, L. pantanal) but most plants will grow in hard water pretty well regardless, and the lack of CO2 will dictate what you can or can't grow much more strongly. Pretty much anything that you can grow without CO2 should work, just don't let it get any algae on it or they will go after it. I think that may be the secret

The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Beautiful progression of a setup. Best looking one that I've seen so far that involves bowl rocks. You can really see the different plants and layouts change in the pictures, all of which are very impressive.

Eric

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:42 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Sorry for sucking up all of your bandwidth
I would have rather seen you incorporate these photos into your "Tank Journal" Travis where a few are allready posted.

Jeeez, I even gave you some stars over there...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Nice changes man, I love the carpet stuff at the bottom makes it feel like the fish can bounce on it. Keep it up!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Great pictorial of the history of your aquascape!!!

It would be even greater if you could include the names of the plants size and parameters of your very nice aquascape.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Amazing metamorphosis!

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
wow....great tank travis!.... and yeah you should start a joournal...

looks Great!

Ehiem Pimp # 88

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Man, this is the whole reason I started the idea of photo journals here - I absolutely love seeing the change from bare tank to lush planted tank.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Simply stunning! That is a beautiful aquarium. Congrats!

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:15 AM

awesome progression! I love how you have mbunas in there, I've never seen such a densely planted tank with any sort of african cichlid.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guys I just wish more people were keeping plants with mbuna so I could get some feedback on what is working for others instead of having to figure it all out myself

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:27 PM

PTrader: (16/100%)
What an amazing tank travis!! Looks like you spend alot of time on it, an it really shows! Love the path to the back of the tank.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:08 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
It's neat seeing the progression. Thanks for the pictorial. Great lookin' tank!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode