ktownhero's 29g river tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
ktownhero's 29g river tank

I finally got her all set up tonight. I call it a river tank because I went with a relatively dark look for the tank, black background with all eco-complete and dark driftwood, rocks, all aquascaped low-profile.

Specs:
  • 29g Tank and Wooden Stand
  • Ehiem 2215 with spraybar
  • Sunblaze 24" T5HO single strip with reflector, 6500k bulb
  • ETH Inline 200w heater

Starter Plants:
  • Wysteria
  • Cabomba (reddish)
  • Bronze Wendtii
  • Lutea
  • Moneywort
  • Another unidentified stem plant

After I get established I imagine some of the stem plants will go away and I'll collect more root-based plants. My plans for livestock are as follows:
  • Red Cherry Shrimp
  • 6-8 Pygmy Cories
  • 2-4 Ottos
  • 1 pitbull pleco
  • 8-12 Rasboras
  • 8-12 Tetras

4/10/2011

6/6/2011

6/11/2011 -- Wow the tank has come far and gone through a lot of changes!

Last edited by ktownhero; 06-11-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
Looks good!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice tank!
I'm thinking about going inline with my heater, too, but I need the size. What size tube does the Eheim 2215 have, do you know?

That also looks like a pretty heavy bio-load. Do you think that tank and filter can handle as many fish ass you're talking about? (I hope so, cuz I'm in the same 29g boat and I'm itching to add a few more!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaparte View Post
Nice tank!
I'm thinking about going inline with my heater, too, but I need the size. What size tube does the Eheim 2215 have, do you know?
2215 has metric tubing but Hydor sells the heaters 1/2 and 5/8" barb. 1/2" model for that cans tubing.

ktown that layout looks really good. The fish should just pop against that background. Center scape is awesome.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the kind words! For a little while I was a bit upset with my aquascape (previous ones to this) and felt like I would never work out something I was happy with. I started to question the rocks and wood that I chose. Then at the very last second I just said "eff it", pulled everything out of the tank, and in one try came up with that haha. It's funny how if you persevere, and give your eyes a rest occasionally, you'll eventually always come up with something you love!

I know wkndracer already answered, but the 2215 fits to the 1/2" 200W ETH inline heater. As for my bioload, it may be high... I'm relatively patient with my tanks, usually add fish over the course of months not days or weeks. There's a good possibility I won't be using a second school of mid-level fish, I might just go with one.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/93%)
Looks great. Ive got a 29g that im about to convert to a planted tank so Ill be watching how yours goes. Do you plan on adding more plants or doing co2? How do plan on dosing the tank? If you dont mind me asking.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgenius View Post
Looks great. Ive got a 29g that im about to convert to a planted tank so Ill be watching how yours goes. Do you plan on adding more plants or doing co2? How do plan on dosing the tank? If you dont mind me asking.
I do plan on adding some rock/wood attaching plants like narrow leaf java fern, anubias nana, and some moss. Over time, I will likely donate/sell off some of the stem plants and move to some larger plants like Vals and/or Swords.

I purchased Root Medic's Complete 500 kit so I plan using his root tabs every 6 months and dosing the basic micro/macro ferts when I remember. I'm not planning on being strict about the dosing of the liquid ferts, I will err on the side of under-dosing verse over-dosing. I have no intentions on doing CO2. I'm a firm believer in keeping aquariums as simple as possible and letting them work themselves out naturally. I like to avoid anything that can make rapid changes to my water chemistry.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
I have no intentions on doing CO2. I'm a firm believer in keeping aquariums as simple as possible and letting them work themselves out naturally.
Great!! Another non-Co2 tank.
Great start! I just think some more low light plants are needed, like sags. Oops, meant low level plants.

Last edited by Hilde; 06-24-2011 at 04:25 PM.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Getting some growth after just a few days:

Rootmedic ferts will be here today or tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Great!! Another non-Co2 tank.
Great start! I just think some more low light plants are needed, like sags.
Thanks man! The plants in there now are just my "starter plants". I wanted to put a lot of stems in to soak up nutrients and get the tank started. I am going to be adding several other plants over the next few weeks including some Vals, maybe a Sword plant, and of course the Anubias/Java Fern staples for rock/wood attachment. I'm also interested in getting some sort of moss going at some point. I'll keep an eye out for some sags, I don't think I am familiar with them but I'll look them up.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
I'll keep an eye out for some sags, I don't think I am familiar with them.
Official name Sagittaria subulata.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
This tank is off to a great start. I cant wait to see how you finish this tank.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
looking good. i'm excited to see it fill in and for the other plants you plan on adding.

post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
cool tank, if I could make a suggestion it would be to see if you could grow some cabomba on the far right corner so when it grows tall enough it'll hide the intake. Any plans for some sort of moss?

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by !shadow! View Post
cool tank, if I could make a suggestion it would be to see if you could grow some cabomba on the far right corner so when it grows tall enough it'll hide the intake. Any plans for some sort of moss?
Your suggestion is most appreciated! I have absolutely considered putting the cabomba on the right side, especially because it's already about to hit the spraybar level which I assume is going to pull it out of the substrate. If I put it on the right it will both stay in place due to low flow AND cover the intake, so it's certainly something I am considering. It grows like a weed, so I'm in no rush: I will have new stems to plant by next week! A well rooted plant like Vals or Swords will be able to handle the flow when they reach the level of the spray bar so it would probably make sense to plant something like that on the left and move the stems to the right side.

The problem right now is that since I'm not super familiar with plants, I'm not sure what else I'm going to find that I like, so I don't necessarily have a specific vision for where I'm going. I do plan on getting some Java Fern (narrow) to attach to some of the rocks/wood. As for moss, I definitely want to get some growing on some of that wood. I'm thinking either Java Moss or Christmas Moss. I also need to find another foreground plant to mix in with the wendtii and lutea, something that can fill in the front center area. I am also considering some Anubias nana to place on the rocks, but I'm not 100% sold on the look of Anubias tank -- anybody have thoughts there?

I'm 100% open to suggestions. I'll be visiting the LFS this weekend to get some new plants and probably add my first fish.
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/93%)
Quote:
I do plan on adding some rock/wood attaching plants like narrow leaf java fern, anubias nana, and some moss. Over time, I will likely donate/sell off some of the stem plants and move to some larger plants like Vals and/or Swords.

I purchased Root Medic's Complete 500 kit so I plan using his root tabs every 6 months and dosing the basic micro/macro ferts when I remember. I'm not planning on being strict about the dosing of the liquid ferts, I will err on the side of under-dosing verse over-dosing. I have no intentions on doing CO2. I'm a firm believer in keeping aquariums as simple as possible and letting them work themselves out naturally. I like to avoid anything that can make rapid changes to my water chemistry.
Thats what Im hoping to do. Dont really want to spend the money for a co2 system. How do the root tabs work? I just assume you burry them in the substrate and the plants use them as needed?

It looks like you took the power head out? If so was it too much flow?

Your tank really looks nice. Just need some fish in there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode