Uni's 30g "grass" tank - 03/30/05 - updates moving to uni's nursery thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Uni's 30g "grass" tank - 03/30/05 - updates moving to uni's nursery thread

New year - new tank - new idea.

Specs:
30g long
96w CF Aqualight
H.O.T. Magnum (filled with 1L Eheim Substrat - intake foam filter)
DIY CO2 reactor - Pressurized - JBJ Reg
9w Turbotwist

Water:
4 KH
4 GH
6.6 pH
No ferts yet (except a little flourish)

Plants:
Sagitarria
Microsword

Fish (to be introduced later):
Angels - 2 - breeding pair of Ghosts
Otos - 6
Amano Shrimp - 12

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -

Last edited by unirdna; 03-30-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:09 AM

Great look... I love the long thin leaf look and the angels are a nice choice.
I tried the microsword twice and both times were unsuccessful. I like the look but it just never did well for me.
Im doing sort of the same only with dwarf sags and C helferi ... wish i could grow the microsword.

This will be a fun tank to watch thicken up
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 02:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Love it, the wood looks great with the grassy plants, I have never tried sagittaria does it stay that height or does it grow like vals? The microsword should look great when it fills in.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 06:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry but which sword is microsword? Tenellus?
I couldn't see if it was Saggitaria subulata.
How high is that tank?
Ed

Bigger is better !!

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Planted Member

Very nice...but will all the verticalness of the grass, I would suggest placing your wood and other parts of the hardscape more horizontally to help offset it.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddo10
Sorry but which sword is microsword? Tenellus?
I couldn't see if it was Saggitaria subulata.
How high is that tank?
Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
I have never tried sagittaria does it stay that height or does it grow like vals? .

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylsdale
Very nice...but will all the verticalness of the grass, I would suggest placing your wood and other parts of the hardscape more horizontally to help offset it.

Ed,
The Sag was bought locally. I think it's S.subulata. The microsword was purchased from aquarium plants.com. They sold it as Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae. The tank is 16 inches high.

Urkevitz,
S.subulata is not suppose to grow with the ferosity of vals. I hope that new growth matches the current height. According to many on-line sources, it grows higher with lots of light and CO2.

Skylsdale,
I thought the same thing. Originally, I set up a horizontal suite of wood, but just couldn't get it to look the way I wanted. I think this was because my tank is so narrow. The two, smaller, verticle pieces seemed to give the tank more depth. But I haven't given up, and still want a horizontal element.....just couldn't wait .

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This tank has great potential! But one suggestion, terrace the substrate from the back to the front...the wavy look detracts from the layout, IMO.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:57 AM

I agree that the wavy look is a little distracting. Push more of the gravel towards the back and make the front lower than the edge of the glass
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looking good uni, the angels will stand out so well against the setup you have atm.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Usually, I don't post an update so soon, but I think there will be "too" much difference if I wait a month .

So...here's the tank at 2 weeks. Don't know what to make of the sag yet. It's not climbing as highly as the original growth. I may need to get something longer for the back eventually. I'll wait until the sag saturates the bed before I make that move. I have a hunch that once it's out of real-estate, it'll head for the sky. It's already flowing .

The microsword has spot and brown algae growing on it, but it is spreading around. Slowly...slowly...

Start

2 Weeks

Sag Flower (still working on taking flower photos)

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nice flower!
when you said "breeding pair of ghost angels" you weren't kidding huh?!

where are the parents? or is it just a grow out tank for now
either way, looks great. imagine it when everything is filled in...

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Those angels are actually the last remaining "few" from a clutch of ghost x marble angels . The male marble died a few weeks ago, and the new ghost daddy is suppose to show up tomorrow (pics will be posted on my "nursery" photo album, of course ).

I put the female in the tank, but she never took to it. She ate and didn't get stressed, but you could tell she wasn't herself. So, I put her back in a bare bottom 10gal, and she's happy again. Go figure. Anyway, you're right. The tank is going to be used exclusively as a deluxe grow-out tank for all the fry. It's so hard to keep water params good when they start growing. Plants make all the difference. In addition to the benefits of N soaking, they also offer veg matter that the little buggers need. And if you lose one or two (or 10), it isn't the end of the world for your nitrogen cycle.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah, theres just a few...
well then, let me refrase: this is gonna be a bomb grow out tank when everything fills in

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Your tanks are always sweet looking Uni, looking forward to viewing it all grown up

Craig

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

1 Month

...and here comes the algae . If this tank development is the same as my others, this will be the "month of algae". Nutrients are in check, but that never seems to matter to the algae . No prob; the little angels love the stuff. They eat so much of it, their fishpoop is green. The original leaves from the sag and lila are dying off, and covered with the most algae. Should all be rotten and removed within a month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-14-2005.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	844  

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode