30g Tall -- Home Office Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
30g Tall -- Home Office Tank

I've decided to set up a journal or my journey into a "real" planted tank. My plan is to use an existing 30g Tall that has been sitting in the cormer of my office empty (I know!) for 2+ years.

Current materials are:
  • 30g Tall tank and stand (standard flourescent light hood removed)
  • Eheim 2026 filter with one tray of Fluval ceramic rings and one tray of Efisubstrat.
  • 1 bag of Flourite
  • About 10 ounds of "natural" medium sized gravel (rermoved from previous set up)
Plans:

I envision an open top tank with a MH pendant hanging over it. I have contacted Tharsis for driftwood and he is going to put together a nice brachy deal for me. I picture the branches almost entirely covered wth some sort of moss. Maybe a larger rock or two in there for balance.

Equipment to sort out:

Lighting -- I really like the.. ehem... price of the 70wWand 150W MH pendants at Fishneedit. I also like the $99 lendant at Aquatrader. That one has a 150W MH, two T5 bulbs and moon lights, all separately powered. Seeems to be pretty flexible.

Filtration -- Is the media in the Eheim OK? I do need to order new filter ads. The old ones were funky. Did I mention that the filter sat off and FULL for 2+ years?

CO2 -- With a lot of light, I am going to have to do something for CO2. Eventually I'll work up to a real injection system, but I might go DIY at first.

Fertilizing -- Something I need to learn about.

Since I know everyone appreciates a photo, I will post a before and a one while I was painting the back black.

Pathetic dried out Anubias....

Note to anyone looking to do this... Painting outside on a windy day should NOT be done on your front step. You WILL be scrubbing. And you might get yelled at by the boss.

Masked and sprayed...

Next steps, it goes back on the stand and I connect up the filter. I also need to dig out the bag of flourite from a closet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i just think you should rearrange the furniture so the stank looks nicer next to the cabinets.
other than that, i can't wait to see how this tank turns out!! happy fish keeping!

Happy plantkeeping!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

check it out!!!! -->

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Next time use some paint that you can just roll on instead of spray on.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblemania1414 View Post
i just think you should rearrange the furniture so the stank looks nicer next to the cabinets.
other than that, i can't wait to see how this tank turns out!! happy fish keeping!
I might do that. I really want to ditch the carpet and put in laminate. I did another room and it came out really nicely. The cabinets cover two whole walls. The third wall has my desk and the doorway and the 4th wall is all one window. Also you can't see well in the photo, but the corner that the tank is in is actually not a 90 degree corner. It is 2, 45 degree corners with about 3 feet of wall at an angle to the room. I am not sure why the designer/buider did it that way. Probably has to do with the master bath on the other siide of that wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazednSleepy View Post
Next time use some paint that you can just roll on instead of spray on.
I read that on here. I really should have done that. I am sure I would have made a mess with that too.

I had to do some work on the stand. The flimsy 1/4" bottom of the stamp came loose. Easy fix once everything was off and out of it.

I hope to make some further progress on this today.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the same tank, its a challenging format, super tall but not a large footprint. looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No new pictures yet. I need to get them off the card. But I have an update...

I cleaned out the filter, which still had water in it after being shut down 2 years ago. I had to order new filter pads but otherwise it is not in bad shape.

I am considering some of the regulator/solenoid values from eBay. And I am leaning towards the 70w MH with the 8000K bulb from Fishneedit.

I am hoping to get another bag of flourite tonight if I can get to the Fish store.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I finally got a couple shots on it in the stand. It sort of shows the angled wall. I am off the the store to get some more substrate. But here it is now...

It looks OK but not great next to the other furniture. Hopefully the inside of it will be distracting enough.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A bit of progress today. I rinsed the fluorite and put it in. I mixed the regular and dark. I sloped it back and to the right.

For the photos, I just put the single bulb fluorescent over it. I am going to order the 150w Fishneedit HQI pendant soon. I believe I am going with the 8000K bulb. I am also leaning towards the paintball CO2 setup with a regulator and a solenoid.

Here's how it looks now. Pardon the dirty glass.

Here is a rough concept of where my head is.

That's driftwood on the right with some sort of moss growing on it. Rocks at the base. Baby tears as a carpet. Undecided on the other plants.

Getting there...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I got some equipment in today!!

A paintball reg., a dual timer power center, and some airline tubing. The NLS is for my 150g mixed Malawi tank.

Now all I need are the lights and I can get this going. Oh, and a paintball tank.

Kevin selected a great piece of driftwood for me. It's not been shipped (or purchased) yet, but here it is.

Next I'll shop around for some good stones. None to be found the ground here.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Since the "stump is in the mail", I started some aquascaping today. I found some decent stones at my LFS. I don't know what they are called but they seem to at least fit my vision....

It is supposed to look like rocky outcrops on a hill. When the wood gets here, there will be a "tree" at the top of the hill. There will be a nice green carpet going down the slope and to the right side of the tank.

Here is the current hardscape from above:

And a couple not particularly well lit FTS:

How does it look so far?

Still to buy (besides actual plants!) are the lights a CO2 diffuser or reactor and a paintball tank. I suppose a drop checker would be a good idea if I am thinking about less common fish eventually.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Looks really nice. However once you put the driftwood in, I think cyperus helferi would look really nice in a tall tank like that. Just a thought. . . .

Ehfipimp #340!!!
(2215)

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am completely open to plant suggestions. I am going to research that one. Pictures I saw looked like it would be perfect.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Looks nice so far.. and good to see someone else from Central Fl in the mix.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks demon! Where in Central, FL? Polk County here.

I got the driftwood today. Tharsis does good work. I had to do a slight mod to get it to fit the way I wanted.

How does it look?

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

After some discussion in the aquascaping forum, I made some changes.

I have a lot of branches left. I might save them for another tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode