IWGF's Riparium w/ ADA style LED (9/7) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
IWGF's Riparium w/ ADA style LED (9/7)

I've been reading up on doing set ups with plants growing out of the water. I figured it'd be too hard to convert aquatic plants to grow out of the water so I decided to just go w/ a riparium and use plants that won't dry up.

I'm going to be using my shrimp tank (10 gal baby huey). The shrimp are in another 10 gal holding tank until this one cycles, then they'll go back in.

I had some left over LEDs from my set up on my 48 gal so I picked up a new heat sink and got to work... or at least I started to haha, my dad came in yesterday morning when I was still asleep and took the heat sink out of my room, when I woke up he was almost half way done with the whole thing... -____-

The total cost is about 100 bucks, which isn't bad, the same cost as a nicer t5ho. For small tanks, I think LEDs are a great way to go cost wise. It's just once you get into the larger tanks and you have to use more LEDs and drivers that the cost can get out of hand

Anyways, on to the pics
LEDs mounted to the heat sink. I went with a thick one with fins so I won't have to run a fan. It wasn't too expensive at this small size.

What I woke up to on Saturday. The shade is a sheet of sheet metal or something, I dunno, my dad had it left over from his days as a sheet metal worker

not bad!

Sanding and painting

Wiring the LEDs, I did this part myself!! haha

All hooked up. 1 of the LEDs burned out, but I don't have any extras. Oh well it's not too important, it's a low light set up and mounted pretty high so not much is affected by having this 1 LED go dark

Here's the finished light mounted. All I need now is the ADA sticker!

Mounted to the ceiling. The wooden plank is screwed into the studs, and used islets to hang the hooks on. I used the hanging kit from Rapidled, but probably could've gone cheaper and done one on my own.

Hard scape - 2 nice pieces from plantbrain zip tied together, kinda looks like a dragon

I'm still waiting for my riparium planters kit from Hydrophyte and once that comes in, I'll start to plant the riparium plants.

The under water part is semi planted - need to find something for the foreground, might go with ss meshes of fisidens, or get some staurogyne in there. Plant list so far:
Crypt "tropica", Crypt mi oya, crypt undulata, bolbitus, fissidens, anubias nana petite

Thanks for looking! If you guys want any other pictures of the fixture just ask and I'll take something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by IWANNAGOFAST; 09-08-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Wow that's some DIY skills!
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice job. I personally think it would look better if the branches didn't overhang on the left but still nice!!
Good luck

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys! I agree it's a little unbalanced right now, but I plan to have the majority of the riparium plants on the right side.

post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
That driftwood is AMAZING!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You know what I imagine looking awesome with that driftwood is a Colocasia fallax dwarf taro.

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Wow! Another very nice variation on a riparium. Having the wood that prominent is something I don't remember seeing on another riparium. I think I would want low growing small leaf plants in the planters, but I have a hard time visualizing what a setup will look like before trying it.

The LED light is very nice, and a good way to finish off the heat exchanger. What type LEDs are they - Cree XP-G's? And what current are they running at, with what LED driver?

Hoppy
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That plant does look very nice Hydrophyte! I'm not sure which ones I want to go with yet other than an aluminum plant as well as that red one you have in your 11.4 gal riparium.

Hoppy, the LEDs are epistar's running at 700ma using a meanwell driver. It's the same set up as in my other LED light, these were the left overs. I had originally planned to use all 36 LEDs and 3 of the meanwells but I ended up only using 24 LEDs and 2 drivers.

The LEDs were cheaper than the CREEs when I bought them but they've since gone up in price so if I build another one I'll try CREEs out, but I'll probably keep using the meanwell drivers. They're really simple to set up and are pretty much all in one, they don't need a separate power supply or anything like that.

The sfbaaps par meter is now 60 miles away so I'll have to wait til it makes the rounds to test this light out, but it should be fairly low light since it's lifted up so high off the tank.

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
That is one badass piece of driftwood!
Nice LED DIY too.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Nice driftwood, looks crazy. It would look awesome once the plants fills in.

Btw I'm going to take down my riparium for a different project, I have a crap load of this plant. I don't know the exact name since I got it from Devin a long time ago. Let me know if you want some. I can send them to you for the cost of shipping.

These grew very easy and well for me once they settle in.

Just 1 more I promise......

Last edited by boon; 03-28-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Autospell error
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That looks awesome Boun! What's that grassy plant on the far right of your tank?

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Great build!

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon View Post

Wow Boon that Oplismenus basket grass grew really well for you!
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
This is a nice build. I cant wait to see the final result!!

My 65g jungle October rain
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I want to try to grow mint to help my room smell better haha

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode