Jen's 55g Tank Journal *Lots of pics 2/19** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Jen's 55g Tank Journal *Lots of pics 2/19**

Here is my new tank. It is 55g 3wpg with DIY C02, flourite/sand substrate (Buck's method). Plants are Amazon swords, anubias, Java ferns, rotala, parrots feahter, anacharis, ludwigia and crytocorns.

My fish so far are 3 ghost shimp, 4 tetra's, two platties, pleco, algae eater, 2 danios, and a black mystery snail..... let me know what you think...

Last edited by wetgreenthumb; 02-19-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks great, I would add a couple more background plants and foreground plants. What kind of fish do you plan to keep? IMO I would go something like 2-3 discus and a pair of rams.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice work Jen You've got a lot of room for growth in there. I agree with the idea of some sort of foreground plants to fill it out. Those swords are going to take up even more space once they get comfortable so plan accordingly. I love the way you've got it aquascaped right now. You've definitely got things well prepared for nice lush tank.

The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. There are some more plants I want to add but LFS didn't have them, and so I plan on ordering them on-line. I have a list of about 7 more plants I would like to add this month. I am still not sure about the fish though...I kinda set this up with the Amazon/River feel...so I am thinking discus, but I do not know how they interact with the community fish in there now...will the get along??? J
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Added 5 bunches of grass and an additional filter. Battling algae in full force now. I'll post some more pics when I get it clean up (it's cloudy now from the work I did).
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What kind of algae are you dealing with, brown, green, etc? Let us know if you've got any questions. Sounds like you've got things under control though

The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 12:20 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks good Jen.
Your best bet would be to add a lot of stems of a fast grower in there. A lot of your current plants do not take much nutrient from the water column. I.E your swords and anubia's...
The grass will not help a lot either but will be suspect to algae quickly if it gets worst.
Even if you just float some stems it will help greatly.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Buck! I floated some stems and some plants are taking off. Seems maybe something might be going right. Water parms have stabilized since adding C02 and now working on getting clear water and getting plants to grow. I've started adding Flourish, and now plan on purchasing the required micro's for the plants.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Clean start need more plants.

Craig

Last edited by WfxXx; 07-15-2007 at 02:00 PM.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Oh wow, I would love that, I'm all about clippings!!!! I'm also an outdoor gardener so, this whole planted tank thing...is such a wintertime life saver for me. Cool....and yes, call me Jen! Craig is it? When your ready PM me and let me know. Thanks!
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Allright! You got it, I'll let you know!

Craig

Craig

post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:35 AM

looks nice, turn the flash off on your camera next time to reduce the haziness
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Turning this into a journal:

No flash duly noted: New pics coming soon..my notes -Hijacking my thread to become a journal. Feel free to give advice or comment etc.

1/22/05 - did a 33% water change, scrubbed the little green dots off the glass, didn't vacuum gravel this time cuz water never cleared up completly last time, and I want to see if It was me disturbing sand that made it cloudy. I removed some of the sand last time I changed water.

- plants are growing - Rotala is taking off and so is money wort, Ludwigia is growing slow, and Java ferns are sending out weird alien tenticles everwhere.

1/23/05 - Have added any micro's yet, still looking for local place to buy them.
Water isn't crystal clear, didn't disturb sand, only a little spot/brush algae on couple of the plants.....mixed up new C02
-lost my first fish, a male swordtail platy that never had all of his tail (he was always weaker anyway must be cuz he was missing his sword)

1/24/05 I have discovered I love Gouramis. I bought 4 beautiful blue (opalescent/pearly whatever) Gouramis. I don't know what the sexes are but I am sure there is 1 male (cuz he's beautiful and shows off his colors and struts his stuff) ok he acts like a dude-fish (hee hee) - also added 5 more Neon tetra's - I've never seen their color look so good as they do in my tank. The first ones I added have had a major color improvement, so now I have 12

I think I'm done now adding fish. I may add another Gourami or two if I find one I can't resist, I will probably get a female platy too.

Fish Inventory now: 2 Pleco's, 2 algae eaters, 12 Neon's, 2 black tetra's, 2 Buenes Aires Tetras, 3 Danios, 4 Blue Gouamis, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 black mystery snail, (1 immigant snail I might remove tonight), 1 male Swordtail Platy
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Well I waited too long on the ferts. I HAVE GREEN WATER NOW!! Well I shouldv'e seen this coming. I changed the water and the algae took over. I will go this weekend and find the required elements because I can't wait, it's bad now. I will buy some hygro or watersprite and start dosing, not sure if I can afford a test kit for potassium and phosphates and such, so I'll probably just use the chart. Oh well, I could just buy a diatom filter but no money. Later..
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
you could buy a UV Sterilizer and that would help zap the algae spores.
That along with h2o chnges will clear it within a few days

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode