Sonoran Desert Fish Nook - a build thread - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 49Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2020, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alamos Sonora Mexico and Green Valley Arizona USA
Posts: 213
Hey John! First person to comment on the build thread! Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I had limited success breeding Rams, Angels, Discus, Kribensis 16-28 years ago. Having ways been a mediocre fishkeeper and poor aquatic gardner, it was important to give the flora and fauna a fighting chance this time around. Would like to expand it to a 5th display tank next week as everything needed is here. That said, the FishNook was porposely built in a small space to contain 'MTS'.

It would be fun to experiment with keeping some Apistograma species, especially if they come from other club hobbyist! At the moment, I'm trying to obtain a few other MikroGeopahus Ramirezi varieties (Dark Knights, Blue Knights, and Powder Blues) from a fellow named Marco du Toit in Praetoria South Africa, but the cost of shipping is high at the moment. My current Gold Rams and Blue Rams spawn every couple of days, but they are very young and just eat the eggs. The FishNook is still in the break-in period (4 weeks), so no effort is being made to encourage any breeding/grow-out. All of the display tanks are community tanks, so breeding is not the focus. However, if something survived, that would be welcome.

I have no dwarf plecos and could use a few more corydoras species for the Fishnook. Hoping to find hobbyist in the Tucson AZ area that breeds those as well. At one of the meetings in October, Yoga mentioned putting together a list of local breeders. That would be excellent! Would be interested too if you and others will fill the void left by ANA closing as we no longer have that excellent source of flora/fauna.

I looked at some of your threads; good two hours of quality reading. My goodness, your aquariums are just teaming with life!!

Peter
learning never stops...

Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 12-29-2020 at 05:16 PM. Reason: incorrect text
FischAutoTechGarten is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2020, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
GrampsGrunge's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Diatom Alley, Lakeside, OR
Posts: 1,487
Have you given a thought to raising Goldeneye Dwarf Ciclids?


They're not often available but are a bit hardier and way easier to breed than Apistos. I found the females to be less psychopathic than my Borellii females. Had a pair that regularly spawned in a heavily planted 29 gallon with a lot of tetras and a Clown Pleco.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GrampsGrunge is offline  
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alamos Sonora Mexico and Green Valley Arizona USA
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
Have you given a thought to raising Goldeneye Dwarf Ciclids?
I have not. Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi and Apistogramma sp were on my short list. However, I might try a couple of groups of Mikrogeophagus Altispinosus (Bolivian Ram). They are a bit under appreciated as they aren't as colorful, nor with as many varieties, as their tip of the continent cousins.

Peter
learning never stops...
FischAutoTechGarten is offline  
 
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alamos Sonora Mexico and Green Valley Arizona USA
Posts: 213
Last night I worked on mounting a few outlets to the equipment panel to be controlled by my homemade aquarium controller (via i2c relay expansion board). Was happy to find the hardware in black, very cheap, at the same cost as white/ivory. Again, just helps all of it to stay hidden.



Did 4 outlets initially... Sump Pump, Sump Heater, CO2 Solenoid Valve, UV Filter. Pump and Solenoid Valves required .56uF capacitors to be added for induction supression, so that was easy to accomodate in the Metal Outlet Boxes. I'll do the same with the other 4 outlets, as I will have a 2nd Pump (R.O. Water bodega supply) and a Drain valve. Not worried about induction from the UV Filter, Wave Pumps, LED lights as they aren't changing states allot, so not every outlet is wired that way. The way I'm laying it out is that each Box has 1 controlled outlet that has induction suppression (top), and 1 controlled outlet that does not (bottom). Need to start labeling things.

Nice to have the Controller managing temp again. I have programmed a hysterisis of .25 degC, and it just maintains temp perfectly between 26.75 and 27.25 degC. Hysterisis saves on Relay duty. It is winter and my home is cooler, so I have all of the substrate heating cables on full-time. They are just 25W a piece. The Sump heater is 200W and that is controlled by the aquarium controller. In the summer, I will unhook the 200W heater completely.. and plug the power strip with all of the heater cables (100-150W) into the relay controller outlet... which will make the substrate heating cables responsible for temp control. I just decided, as I add tanks to the system (will be 6), that I don't want 350W of heating going through the relays. Splitting it between controlled and controlled heat in the winter is a sound strategy.

Presently have UVFilter and CO2 offline. The Mag5 pump is dying... (lots of rattle)... New pump is due today.... so I unhooked devices and took out a few 90deg turns and it improved the flow enough to be sufficient. We will hook everything back up over the long holiday weekend.

Peter
learning never stops...

Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 12-30-2020 at 05:19 PM. Reason: words
FischAutoTechGarten is offline  
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alamos Sonora Mexico and Green Valley Arizona USA
Posts: 213
Good progress today. New pump arrived ActiveAqua AAPW1000. Sized all lines from pump for 3/4"... right up to the 1/2" ball valve for each display tank. Flow is incredible. Installed parallel paths for UVFilter, CO2 Reactor and Flow Meter. That means the flow meter isn't measuring total flow, but at least I can see realitve changes and if water is in fact moving. Gives a little more dwell time for CO2 and UV treatment by splitting the flow. Fish seem to be have perked up with the additional flow (probably increased oxygen too).

Removed the 2 sheets of 2" 45ppi poret foam from 1st Sump Chamber. Swiss Tropicals warned me that it probably wouldn't permit the flow I was after in the Sump.. they were right... I found Chamber2 was pulling hard...while Chamber1 was backing up. Unfortunately, I have my emergency spillway installed on Chamber2 (should put 1 on Chamber1 as well), so I can't handle too much out of balance with those two chambers. It's good now... I still have 6 sheets of 2" poret arranged as 2 x 10ppi, 2 x 20ppi, and 2 x 30ppi.

Of course, to hookup the final four outlets to control more stuff required a trip to True Value becuase I was out of cable clamps. My dog Coqueta accompanied me, and you can see her thinking, "You are buying more electrical and plumbing supplies?!":



Epuipment panel is starting to get more populated. Added simple on/off control for the LED lighting... follows sunrise/sunset for my area. Found a nice scheduler for NodeRED that allowed me to put in my coordinates and it outputs based on that.... and I capture that output and pass it to the relay board. More to do, but it's starting to look like stuff is going on... Plenty of room to terminate the level switches and to add the dosing pumps and solution receptacles.

deeda and gjcarew like this.

Peter
learning never stops...
FischAutoTechGarten is offline  
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alamos Sonora Mexico and Green Valley Arizona USA
Posts: 213
A little update today. The plants have been in since December 5, so we are looking at just under four weeks. Took a photo today toshow the growth.

I'll post both.. Dec 6th..



This was this morning, Jan 1st.



I think it's a good amount of growth. Will be interesting to see the increases with the CO2 online consistently (controlled by pH... 7.0 w/ hysterisis of 6.9 to 7.1).

Peter
learning never stops...
FischAutoTechGarten is offline  
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 03:37 PM
Planted Member
 
Lingwendil's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Antioch, Ca
Posts: 270
Wow! Way cool! Nice renovation on the space, very clean rack system, and interesting use of Raspberry Pi controller setup. We just moved into our first home purchase and I was very interested to see how you tackled this, as I just picked up a 180 gallon with stand that is plumbed for overflows. I'm going to be setting up a sump and my own LED lighting for it and was looking into controllers to handle some eventual features I wanted to implement.
deeda likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lingwendil is offline  
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alamos Sonora Mexico and Green Valley Arizona USA
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingwendil View Post
Wow! Way cool! Nice renovation on the space, very clean rack system, and interesting use of Raspberry Pi controller setup. We just moved into our first home purchase and I was very interested to see how you tackled this, as I just picked up a 180 gallon with stand that is plumbed for overflows. I'm going to be setting up a sump and my own LED lighting for it and was looking into controllers to handle some eventual features I wanted to implement.
Thank you. I have a build thread on NodeRED.org in their forums.

https://discourse.nodered.org/t/aqua...board/25839/15

The flow (or source code) for the Sonoran Desert Fish Nook Project is there. You will also note that I reference another project by a contributor (MaddyP) on reef2reef.com. His stuff is worth looking at as well.

I should probably use a GitHub repository instead of uploading code to their forum... I'll figure that out.

BTW, I can no longer add photos to my existing Photo Album, nor a new Photo Album here on PlantedTank.net . I'll have to work with the moderatros to find out why... I wasn't able to provide updated photos for the work I did over the weekend.
Lingwendil likes this.

Peter
learning never stops...
FischAutoTechGarten is offline  
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alamos Sonora Mexico and Green Valley Arizona USA
Posts: 213
I don't think I've shown the lights I use. They are Ecoxotic Stunners Strips, 12.5", 6W, 8000K white, Models #8012.

I use 2 per 20gallon aquarium, so they cover about 25" of the 30" width which is perfect. As they are mounted about 8" above the water the spread is perfect. Because the water is only about 10" deep once you account for gravel and the offset from the top edge of the glass, the light penetraton and shimmer is vey nice.



I'd like to find 2 more of these (at least) for the 6th tank I will be adding. I already have the 2 needed for the 5th tank I'm adding very soon.

Unfortunately, I am not able to add any more photos to this Gallery, nor any other Galleries that I create. I'm a paying Gold member, which is supposed to give me more storage, but I've not succeeded in getting an Administrator's attention. (The moderators have responded and forwaded the requests, but becuase it's a paid feature, it is out of their hands and must be escalated to the Administrator).

Therefore, I will not be able to continue contributing to this thread. I've already paid here... I'm not going to also pay at a 3rd party picture hosting website just so that I can provide additional content here. I have a similar thread about this FishNook on SimplyD (simplydiscusDOTcom) and I'll continue to publish there.

Peter
ReeferRusso likes this.

Peter
learning never stops...
FischAutoTechGarten is offline  
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower
 
ReeferRusso's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
I don't think I've shown the lights I use. They are Ecoxotic Stunners Strips, 12.5", 6W, 8000K white, Models #8012.



I use 2 per 20gallon aquarium, so they cover about 25" of the 30" width which is perfect. As they are mounted about 8" above the water the spread is perfect. Because the water is only about 10" deep once you account for gravel and the offset from the top edge of the glass, the light penetraton and shimmer is vey nice.







I'd like to find 2 more of these (at least) for the 6th tank I will be adding. I already have the 2 needed for the 5th tank I'm adding very soon.



Unfortunately, I am not able to add any more photos to this Gallery, nor any other Galleries that I create. I'm a paying Gold member, which is supposed to give me more storage, but I've not succeeded in getting an Administrator's attention. (The moderators have responded and forwaded the requests, but becuase it's a paid feature, it is out of their hands and must be escalated to the Administrator).



Therefore, I will not be able to continue contributing to this thread. I've already paid here... I'm not going to also pay at a 3rd party picture hosting website just so that I can provide additional content here. I have a similar thread about this FishNook on SimplyD (simplydiscusDOTcom) and I'll continue to publish there.



Peter
I've read through this thread from the beginning and it's a very well thought out and nice build!

Quite disappointed that you are a paying Gold member and cannot seem to get any love. Hopefully, they are able to get it all straightened out soon.

FYI - those 12.5" Ecoxotic 8000K lights are available through currentusa on fleabay.


Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ReeferRusso; 01-08-2021 at 07:43 AM.
ReeferRusso is online now  
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alamos Sonora Mexico and Green Valley Arizona USA
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferRusso View Post
FYI - those 12.5" Ecoxotic 8000K lights are available through currentusa on fleabay.
no, not anymore. they sold out a long time ago.. they have the other termperature variants.. buy noth the 24led 8000k white in the 12.5" 6W size.. I check with them about every 3 months to see if they've dug any up.. It's a shame... I know hobbyist all over have them stored away.... just got to find two more (okay truthfully, I'd like to find 6 more... but will be very satisfied with 2).

yeah, I don't know what it is with this site. been a member since 2003. it's just a holding of the PetGuide group now. I don't imagine the Forum format holds much interest to them anymore and probably contributes little in ad click through revenue. follow the money and you won't expect much in the way of service.

it's a shame as I really value the contributions here. i appreciate the fine work of the moderators, but they are limited in the things they are permitted to do in behalf of the user community.

Peter ODwyer
ReeferRusso likes this.

Peter
learning never stops...
FischAutoTechGarten is offline  
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 10:55 PM
Algae Grower
 
ReeferRusso's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
no, not anymore. they sold out a long time ago.. they have the other termperature variants.. buy noth the 24led 8000k white in the 12.5" 6W size.. I check with them about every 3 months to see if they've dug any up.. It's a shame... I know hobbyist all over have them stored away.... just got to find two more (okay truthfully, I'd like to find 6 more... but will be very satisfied with 2).



yeah, I don't know what it is with this site. been a member since 2003. it's just a holding of the PetGuide group now. I don't imagine the Forum format holds much interest to them anymore and probably contributes little in ad click through revenue. follow the money and you won't expect much in the way of service.



it's a shame as I really value the contributions here. i appreciate the fine work of the moderators, but they are limited in the things they are permitted to do in behalf of the user community.



Peter ODwyer
There is 1 light currently available on Fleabag. I just looked it up again and it shows 1 available. - see attached pic

That is really a shame about the site as it really is a huge resource!

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk Pro
ReeferRusso is online now  
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alamos Sonora Mexico and Green Valley Arizona USA
Posts: 213
yeah, I called on this auction... that one is the #8011.. it's a bit bluer than I want.... I'll think on it...
ReeferRusso likes this.

Peter
learning never stops...
FischAutoTechGarten is offline  
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-11-2021, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 1,671
Beautiful build from scratch and I thoroughly enjoyed the work you have done. I always say the devil is in the details and you've provided that through your pics and descriptions.

Thanks!

Dee
__________________
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is online now  
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Alamos Sonora Mexico and Green Valley Arizona USA
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Beautiful build from scratch and I thoroughly enjoyed the work you have done. I always say the devil is in the details and you've provided that through your pics and descriptions.
Thanks!
Thank you. Once I can post photos to the Galleries again, a really good update will follow.

There is new control hardware to receive the sump and R.O. Storage level switch inputs (NCD i2c Dig Exp board). The Flow meter is working again (lots of mistakes on my part). A check valve (3/4 inch) is present to prevent back flushing to the sump when the pump is shut-off.

Deadband for the pH / CO2 in the DIY aquarium controller has been tightened. Setpoint is now 6.95 with a hysterisis of .075. Want to see what that does over 24 hours. (A 24hour FIFO Trend of temp/pH is maintained on the DIY aqua ctrlr now).
ReeferRusso likes this.

Peter
learning never stops...
FischAutoTechGarten is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome