Starting a 75 Gallon tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting a 75 Gallon tank.

Hello i have a question, me and my wife have started a fish tank. We have a 10 gallon tank and were moving to a 75 gallon because of the fosh we have here soon. So i have read alot of things about fish and im surprised im not a fish expert now lol. But anyway so when I start this new 75 gallon tank do i wait 2-8 weeks before putting the new fish in or can i add the quick start and the water conditioner in and add fish? See ive heard many different things from pet stores, internet etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 10:15 PM
Algae Grower

If it were me, I'd wait until the tank is cycled.

There are ways to make your cycle go faster but there are probably 100 different approaches to doing that.

For me, I keep a sponge filter as a back up in all my tanks (battery operated filtration when power goes out is one reason) so in your shoes I'd put a sponge filter in the 10 gallon for a couple of weeks for it to collect a bunch of good bacteria, then I'd add it to the 75 gallon tank with a few small community fish (danios or something of the like) and test parameters daily.
I'd add the rest of the fish once my water tests showed 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and some level of nitrates for 48 hours straight...

That's pretty much my procedure for getting a new tank going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 07:58 PM
Planted Member

Water testing is key, IMO, to know when to add fish. When starting a new tank I test KH, pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate twice a week, until I see stable reading of 0 for ammonia and nitrite, and low-ish readings for nitrate. For a straight up new set-up, it may take 8 weeks or more to cycle the aquarium and be safe for fish. On my recent new set-up I was able keep the bio media in my filter for the new tank, and the cycle was done in 16 days. Either way, having the data from testing was the key.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Oase Biomaster 600

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

Roboto's suggestion is good. I do the same for new tanks, but use a few guppies instead. They are almost indestructible, and they poop enough to help jump start the bacteria, and keep it going.

Good luck on the 75!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the info the fiah we have are hi fin bullshark 2 of them, and then we have 2 bala sharks. So the fish that I see were suggested will they good with these fish?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode