3Likes
  • 1 Post By Scully
  • 2 Post By Scully

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Scully's Planted 10 Gallon

Hi everyone, I recently got back into the hobby after doing some house cleaning, finding all my old stuff, and getting the itch to try my hand at it again.

As a kid(~12) I started my first tank (20 Long) with basic fish like guppies, swordtails, corys, and a couple other fish. It slowly evolved over the course of 6 years and by year 5 it was a heavily planted with all the fish being born and raised in the tank. It seemed to be it's own ecosystem that just needed to be topped off every week, I fed it every few days just to be sure the fish got food. It met it's unfortunate end when I went to college and too much water evaporated for the filter to function. I dabbled in SW too, but failed miserably because I didn't want to go big and the 10 Gallon tank I used was too small/unequipped for me to keep it stable.

A couple years ago I wanted to try making an aquaponics system for cheap. I made a frame to sit over a 10 gallon tank and hold a planting bed made out of a storage container, pvc, and Hydrocoton. It worked to an extent but ultimately failed because of a less than optimal design and too small of a bioload. I was successful in growing an amazing basil plant, the other herbs struggled and the growing bed was overtaken by mold.

I recently dug up that 10 gallon tank and started messing with some ideas, I built a couple of internal sump prototypes like you see on fluval tanks. I decided on one and got to work.

As it stands now the tank is almost two months old, it has a simple scape and a simple stocking. It's also is having a battle with thread algae and staghorn/Clado. I've been successful in slowing down algae growth and am going in for the kill in the following weeks. Still trying to find the sweetspot in my dosing regiment(CO2, Nilocg Thrive, SeaChem Root Tabs, Excel, and lighting)

Plants:
Ludwigia Repens
S. Repens
Dwarf Hairgrass

Inhabitants:
2x Amano Shrimp
Endless amounts of "pest" snails

Hardscape:
Dragon Stone
Eco complete substrade
BDBS

Equipment:
Filter media: Various sponges, Poly-fil, Hydrocoton.
Adjustable 160gph MAX pump(On lowest setting)
Semi-Submersible adjustabe heater
"Custom" CO2 injection using a mini keg regulator and 16g CO2 cartridges
NICrew SkyLED Plus

Anyway here's the reason anyone looks at a thread:

Day 1: No CO2 yet, freshly planted

Day 22: Added ecocomplete to try and raise ammonia for the cycle

Day 44:

Day 57: Today, it's WC and a trim day. This is beforehand, going to do it later along with an H2O2 spot treatment and some trimming on the Ludwigia

The S. Repens has been giving me some trouble after trying to propigate it but most of the mother plant is doing well and some of the smaller clippings are making a comeback.
Roboto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I was doing a water change and trimming some plants. I start doing an H2O2 spot treatment, had fun watching all the bubbles for a minute. Then I decide I should check the temp of the water I'm dechlorinating... SMASH!... the thermometer slips out of my hand as I'm trying to get the suction cup off and explodes the bottom of it off. The little balls fly everywhere, on the floor, in the tank, in the sump. So I go into a panic, I siphon out as all the balls I can see(along with the substrate). Meanwhile my amanos decide to investigate whats happening/taunt me, so I have to keep shooing them away with my tweezers as I'm trying to clean up this mess. This made them start freaking out, which made me start freaking out that I just killed the only livestock that I have. So I start pouring in my new water, after I get the bucket emptied I ran to my computer to see what I potentially just poisoned my shrimp with. Turns out they're just steel/lead balls that shouldn't really harm them too much, especially if taken out within a few day *phew* Had to take a long breather after that. My H2O2 treatment may have to wait until my next WC now since my spot treatment didn't get to soak very long/doesn't seem to have done too much.

TL;DR - I'm clumsy and breaking your thermometer isn't a huge deal according to the 30 forum posts I read over various websites.

Anyway, Ludwigia Repens is now one of my favorite plants. I almost always have my lid on my tank but when I took it off I was greated by this(the camera doesn't really do it any justice)

So many shades of red and green, it's awesome. I bundled all the trimming and put them where my thermostat was. If they survive this and start to grow a little, I might have to start working on another idea for a tank I've had. This trimming will hopefully give my dwindling stem of S. Repens and DH enough light to start to take off.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Small update -

One of my Amanos was missing a couple of legs when I first got it (I think it's a her due to the spots). I went away for a couple of days, when I came back I noticed a molt in the tank. Couldn't find her at the time but she popped up this morning and I grabbed a couple of photos. She seemingly grew back both legs in one molt, which is pretty neat.

Roboto and victorusaconte like this.

- Sent from a Nokia Brick

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode