60X45X45 aka "clear 30" - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
60X45X45 aka "clear 30"

last journal kept here was 10 years ago! i have been in and out of the hobby over those years. but if you watch enough green aqua on youtube you get the itch again! lol..anyway i had a severely hard water stained 60p in storage, took one look and said nope... so i scoured the internet for a new tank. i initially wanted to go with a UNS 75p as i really liked the ada 75p i had years ago. but in the end went with a waterbox clear 30. i have never seen a waterbox tank in person so was a little skeptical when i ordered, and was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. i have owned multiple ada tanks and a couple uns tanks, and i would rank the build quality right there with them. this tank is 60cmx45cmx45cm a great footprint for any aquascape style really. lots of depth to work with! one of the things i struggled with the ada 60p was the 30cm front to back.

anyway... on to the build i guess! will likely be a slower one as i really enjoy the design and build process of the hobby and will DIY where feasible.

tech specs of build

tank- waterbox clear 30 60x45x45
stand- home made ADA style 60x45x76
light- chihiros vivid 2
filter- eheim 2215
c02- yes
lilypipes- cheap

did a quick render in fusion trying to decide how i want to do the side of the cabinet. i like the UNS cabinets but think the slots are a bit big and the ada cabinets half circle cut out makes hose's hard to deal with. what do you prefer?

Screenshot 2020-10-21 213333 by shaun s., on Flickr
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

seams and lights ohh my

just got back from the home depot with one of the finest sheets of 19mm birch plywood they had under roof! contemplating doing like a mini build thread for the stand in this thread or.... should i create a new post in the diy forum and "spread the love" so to speak? anyway my living room is dark as a cave so the lighting isnt real good for pictures at the moment but, i did grab a few of the tank's silicone work for anyone wondering what a waterbox seam looks like.

wb2 by shaun s., on Flickr

dunno if i like the permanent logo at the top of the tank... prolly put it to the back.

wb1 by shaun s., on Flickr

busted open the chihiros vivid 2, pretty nice for the price imo!

chihiros1 by shaun s., on Flickr
Hendy8888, Ordinary Joe and robmcd like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

progress!

well had the day off and cut some wood! going with a white outer and a birch inner. with a bonus of exposed edge plywood.. i know its not everyones cup of tea, but i love it! have the same motif on a set of stools i made for the kitchen. anyway wood is cut, and i got some adjustable feet on the printer they should be done in the am! then ill glue this thing together and shoot her with some poly.

pile of wood!

DSC_0014 by shaun s., on Flickr

made in austria! fancy!

DSC_0016 by shaun s., on Flickr
Hendy8888 and Quagulator like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ready for some football?

thought id upload some pics while i wait for the glue to dry lol!

#wishihadfestooldomino

Untitled by shaun s., on Flickr

using only glue and biscuits for this one!

my leveling feet hot off the printer!

made the hole for the bolt head slightly undersized and used a soldering iron to heat the bolt till it "squished" into the plastic feels really solid!

Bump: ohh yea, forgot to ask! how long will plants live in a ziploc? if i keep them wet and give them light? i can set up a tank pretty quick, need to anyway to qt my fish for this tank. just curious as stuff is starting to roll in!
Hendy8888 and Quagulator like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wish i had of used 12mm plywood

ok stand done! turned out great! even found a cool motion activated ikea light upstairs in the closet

DSC_0001 by shaun s., on Flickr

DSC_0014 by shaun s., on Flickr

artsy close up of those custom knurled leveling feet lol

DSC_0015 by shaun s., on Flickr

i have a door for it, i swear! gonna wait to drag this thing up the basement stairs to install it...
Hendy8888, ipkiss and someoldguy like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 03:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coseal View Post
i did grab a few of the tank's silicone work for anyone wondering what a waterbox seam looks like
Hard to tell from the photo. Are you happy with the seams and overall tank quality?

Thanks.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes! tank looks great! i really dig the mat precut and glued to the bottom. dont care much for the laser etched logo at the top of the tank but, i can just turn it to the back. i got the stand upstairs today and decided to put a fresh coat of paint in the nook where it will live. need to come up with a solution for hanging the light i have an idea still fleshing it out tho!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Stand looks fantastic so far! Nice work!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

stand

here are some pics of the stand in its finished state, and some mounting hardware and profile example for my "light bar"

IMG_1411[1] by shaun s., on Flickr

IMG_1409[1] by shaun s., on Flickr

IMG_1410[1] by shaun s., on Flickr

"light bar" hardware. printed these pretty robustly with petg. the light is on the heavy side... one side will be attached with a drywall anchor and the other a tapcon into brick

IMG_1407[1] by shaun s., on Flickr
Ordinary Joe likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Very excited to see how the light fixture goes.

How are the plants holding up in zip bags? I've kept mine in there for a week and then just put them in a bucket of water outside and they survived for a while

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i set up a qt tank, figured id need one for the fish i wanna get so might as well. i was hoping to have everything i needed to set up this week but i dont think thats gonna happen. still waiting on a bag of soil... i ordered 20l of regular(way to much) and 3l of powder to top it off! the regular is here the powder no clue lol. if i had of known it wasnt going to ship in a couple days i would have moved on to another vendor.

i do have an update on the light! was looking at it today and more specifically seeing how much cord i had to work with... this cord is amazingly long! its also very black! i wish chihiros had of taken a cue from twinstar,ada and used a clear or gray to blend in with the suspension cables a bit more. no problem here as i am a hoarder and buy a bunch of crap i dont "need"! had some nice 2 conductor gray in a drawer just waiting for its time to shine. tinned up the ends and installed it easy enough.

the black

Light2 by shaun s., on Flickr

the gray

Rewire by shaun s., on Flickr
Quagulator likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

let there b light!

ok we almost ready to go!

lights hung stand illuminated! very happy with it so far, damn thing only made me paint my fireplace lol!

Clr30 by shaun s., on Flickr

here is a pic of the light bar.... i figure if this tank doesnt work out i can always hang coats from it

Quagulator likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Personally, I would be a little sketched out by 3d printed leveling feet. This is going to hold a lot more weight than you think, and if one of those feet give way, it's going to be a big shock to the tank. You can almost certainly find the size you're looking for on Mcmaster.com for pretty cheap.

https://www.mcmaster.com/leveling-feet

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
that light hanging is CLEAN! I love it

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
Personally, I would be a little sketched out by 3d printed leveling feet. This is going to hold a lot more weight than you think, and if one of those feet give way, it's going to be a big shock to the tank. You can almost certainly find the size you're looking for on Mcmaster.com for pretty cheap.

https://www.mcmaster.com/leveling-feet
ya, i love mcmaster! and i have some mounts here in various size's, but we are going to be dealing with a static load of roughly 300lbs. these are printed with petg at 90%infill and are 1.5" in diameter im not sketched out at all... maybe if they were printed with pla?

thanks for checkin out my thread!

Tags
diy, vivid2, waterbox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode