Yet another Rainbow Tank-75G - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yet another Rainbow Tank-75G

Hi guys! Figured I would start a journal for this tank, since moving to a new house, new job I have both the space and a little more disposable income for a bigger tank (previous biggest was a 20g long). Not sparing much expense with this one, though am still doing DIY as much as I can. The tank is about 2-3 months old, and I've added so much equipment and changes already, though there seems to be always more to do! I have dreams of making it as good as the many beautiful tanks here, it does have a long way to go!

Stocking list:
Melanotaenia Boesemani 2M/4F
Glossolepis Incisus 2M
Melanotaenia sp. "Running River" 3M/3F*
Chilatherina Alleni "Siriwo" 3M/4F*
Rasbora heteromorpha 9
Pangio kuhlii 8ish
Crossocheilus oblongus 2
Corydoras julii 3
Corydoras panda 3
Various ramshorn snails

*Not sure about the M/F ratio here, that's what was told to me by the breeder but they are small still so I can't be sure.

The Boesemanis are not the greatest of quality, but I got them before I discovered the many breeders out there, and the colors of them are not half bad for farm raised rainbows. The Irian bows seem to be pretty quality, they're probably around 2-3 years old by my best guess. I know the Alleni and RR bows will be amazing when they grow up a bit, because I got them from a reputable breeder.

Here's the FTS and a couple of young bow pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	904247  

Name:	bow.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	904249  

Name:	bow2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	904251  

Name:	bow3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	904253  

Name:	bow4.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	904255  

deeda, Greggz, Bettatail and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Equipment List:

Trying to do it from memory so here goes,

Overflow box with herbie drain setup, goes to a 15 gallon sump, returns using a Sicce Silent 3.0 pump. Lots of Poret foam and ceramic rings.
CO2art SE regulator and inline diffuser and 5lb CO2 canister, using a Dywer flowmeter, set at 20 cc/min.
ATO system using a simple float valve connected to RO system to maintain water level. Has an electric shutoff solenoid for redundancy. RO system is controlled by Alexa, turns on and off daily for a half hour to make up water.
2x Kessil A160 Tuna Sun lights, on for a total photoperiod of 7 hours throughout the day. Siesta during the middle of the day when I'm not there.
Jebao auto dosing for ferts, using EI dosing calculated with RotalaButterfly.
Custom light screen using some foam board and an LED light strip. It's not super effective since the Kessils kind of overpower it, you can see the background gets tinted blue when they're on. But it's pretty cool as they're set to change to red during the evening when the lights go off.
Plumbed a 3/4" RO line to the bathroom directly behind this tank so I can connect a python and fill from the RO system in the basement. Hooked up heaters, powerheads, and pumps to remote outlets, so I can easily turn them on/off from upstairs.
2.5 gallon tank for blackworm breeding, toss a algae wafer in there every once and a while. Have an air pump hooked up to a manifold in the back, one line goes to the blackworm tank and one goes to an airstone in the sump.
Attached Images

deeda and Greggz like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plant List:
Ozelot Sword Echinodorus ozelot
Dwarf Saggitaria sagittaria subulata
Rotala Rotundifolia
Hygrophila, Temple Narrow Leaf hygrophila corymbosa
Amazon Sword echinodorus grisebachii
Dwarf hairgrass eleocharis parvula
Spiralis cryptocoryne spiralis
Rotala Nanjenshan
Hygrophila Angustifolia
Ludwigia Needle Leaf ludwigia arcuata
Telanthera alternanthera reineckii
Red flame sword echinodorus schlueteri x E. barthii hybrid
ammannia gracilis
staurogyne repens
cryptocorynem lutea
anubians nana "petite"
Java fern leptochilus pteropus
Java moss Taxiphyllum Barbieri
monte carlo micranthemum tweediei "monte carlo"
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by pyoinator; 10-26-2020 at 07:38 PM. Reason: moss added

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Alright another planted Rainbow tank on the board!

Always glad to see it and we have quite a few here now.

Tank has a great vibe and the technology being used looks impressive.

Did you get the Running River and C. Alleni Siriwo from Marcel?

Looking forward to updates and seeing where this goes. Subscribed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Alright another planted Rainbow tank on the board!

Always glad to see it and we have quite a few here now.

Tank has a great vibe and the technology being used looks impressive.

Did you get the Running River and C. Alleni Siriwo from Marcel?

Looking forward to updates and seeing where this goes. Subscribed.
Thanks so much Greggz! Glad to see you here, even if you do come from the state up north. Your tank is a big inspiration for me, just recently made it through all the pages of your thread haha. I'm still figuring things out, dialing things in, got lots of work to do on dosing ferts.

I did get them from Marcel! I see better color on those guys every day, slowly but surely getting more vibrant.
Greggz likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoinator View Post
Thanks so much Greggz! Glad to see you here, even if you do come from the state up north. Your tank is a big inspiration for me, just recently made it through all the pages of your thread haha. I'm still figuring things out, dialing things in, got lots of work to do on dosing ferts.

I did get them from Marcel! I see better color on those guys every day, slowly but surely getting more vibrant.
LOL my daughter is living in Cincinnati now and is engaged to a Buckeye nut. For old timers like me the rivalry runs deep, but hey he's a good kid and I can overlook that flaw!!

If I can ever be of any help, feel free to reach out.

---
---
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
LOL my daughter is living in Cincinnati now and is engaged to a Buckeye nut. For old timers like me the rivalry runs deep, but hey he's a good kid and I can overlook that flaw!!

If I can ever be of any help, feel free to reach out.
I will say it'd liven up the rivalry a little bit if y'all were a bit more of a challenge, it's been pretty one sided these past years haha. That being said that 2016 double OT game was the best game I've been to hands down!

And thanks I will! Some of my plants are doing better than others but nothing is really exploding in growth, so think there is something off with my dosing or CO2.
Greggz likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoinator View Post
I will say it'd liven up the rivalry a little bit if y'all were a bit more of a challenge, it's been pretty one sided these past years haha. That being said that 2016 double OT game was the best game I've been to hands down!

And thanks I will! Some of my plants are doing better than others but nothing is really exploding in growth, so think there is something off with my dosing or CO2.
Yeah I have to admit it's been TOO one sided lately. But hope springs eternal so maybe they will get it done this year!

When I look at your mix of plants (crypts, swords, ferns, moss, anubia, saggitaria, AR mini, S. Repens, etc.), most are not ones that are going to "explode" in growth. Mostly slower/steady growers there. And nothing wrong with that. They do better growing slowly.

The tricky part would be if you start adding some faster growing stems to the mix.

What is the pH drop and dosing? Don't need extreme levels of each for now.

---
---
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yeah I have to admit it's been TOO one sided lately. But hope springs eternal so maybe they will get it done this year!

When I look at your mix of plants (crypts, swords, ferns, moss, anubia, saggitaria, AR mini, S. Repens, etc.), most are not ones that are going to "explode" in growth. Mostly slower/steady growers there. And nothing wrong with that. They do better growing slowly.

The tricky part would be if you start adding some faster growing stems to the mix.

What is the pH drop and dosing? Don't need extreme levels of each for now.
Maybe so! You guys always bring your best for our game haha.

That's true, I guess I was expecting faster growth from the monte carlo/dwarf hairgrass/rotalas. About a month ago I was using softened tap water, which had a very low GH and a very high KH, which was causing me issues. Think some of the plants are still adjusting to that pretty radical shift in parameters, to basically no KH (Though I think my seriyu stone is causing some KH) and 6-7 GH.

I've been using rotalabutterfly for my dosing, I set up an auto-doser so I don't have to measure out ferts every day, but this means that I don't have a lot of leeway in changing ferts unless I want to toss out chemicals. You can see my dosing regimen here, it's set up to auto-dose an hour before the lights come on in the morning, micros and macros on alternating days, 60-75% water change on the weekend. Though I just realized that Equilibrium, which I use to remineralize my RO, has a bunch of potassium in it, so I can probably just cut out the K2SO4 dosing.

CO2 is set at 20 ccs/min, which gives me about a pH drop of 1.00 Typically I'll see it go from 7.7-6.7 or so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dosing1.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	904675  

Name:	dosing2.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	904677  

Name:	Dosing3.PNG
Views:	5
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	904679  

Name:	dosing4.PNG
Views:	7
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	904681  

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Alright so your weekly NO3:PO4:K is about 22:4:22 plus any extra K from Equilibrium.

Might be a bit on the high side for your mix of plants. You could probably get by on half that. But only one way to tell....watch the plants. Every tank is different.

Equilibrium is a mix of Ca, Mg, and K. You are much better off buying CaSO4 and MgSO4 to raise GH. You don't want or need the extra K, and you can mix the Ca:Mg ratio to your liking. As a bonus, it's also cheaper to buy the individual salts.

No doubt the softer water should help. But if you are using RO water, curious as to how your KH is getting high enough to put degassed pH at 7.7. Just doesn't seem right. Can't imagine the stones raising it that much.

And in general, the stones are fighting what you are accomplishing with RO....lowering KH. Will also make it difficult to keep KH/pH at steady level, which is preferred to make it easier to control pH drop accurately.

But I will say 20 cc/min sounds about right, so likely your pH drop is good. The numbers just seem odd.

What is the substrate??
Immortal1 likes this.

---
---
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Alright so your weekly NO3:PO4:K is about 22:4:22 plus any extra K from Equilibrium.

Might be a bit on the high side for your mix of plants. You could probably get by on half that. But only one way to tell....watch the plants. Every tank is different.

Equilibrium is a mix of Ca, Mg, and K. You are much better off buying CaSO4 and MgSO4 to raise GH. You don't want or need the extra K, and you can mix the Ca:Mg ratio to your liking. As a bonus, it's also cheaper to buy the individual salts.

No doubt the softer water should help. But if you are using RO water, curious as to how your KH is getting high enough to put degassed pH at 7.7. Just doesn't seem right. Can't imagine the stones raising it that much.

And in general, the stones are fighting what you are accomplishing with RO....lowering KH. Will also make it difficult to keep KH/pH at steady level, which is preferred to make it easier to control pH drop accurately.

But I will say 20 cc/min sounds about right, so likely your pH drop is good. The numbers just seem odd.

What is the substrate??
It is interesting. Tested my RO KH and GH, KH is 0, GH after remineralization is 6. Tank GH is 6, KH is 3. pH of the tank is 7.6 after degassing all night, but I actually noticed a regulator issue I'm going to make another post about, seeking help from the CO2art guys, since I saw they're active on the forum.

Do think I might remove the stones at some point, I didn't know about their KH changing properties when I got them, just assumed they were inert because I saw them in so many scapes. Man they look pretty though.

The substrate is ADA amazonia, took so long to get the water clear, I used quite a bit of the soil so it was leaching ammonia for a very long time, and the water was cloudy for much longer, had to keep doing lots of water changes for 2 months, plus carbon and purigen for it to clear up.
Greggz likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah hate to say it but the stones are fighting everything.

If KH goes to 3 in the tank, the 7.6 degassed pH makes sense and is in the right ballpark.

With the Amazonia, you probably need pretty light fert dosing with the current mix.

And again, all in all a very nice start and a good looking set up. Look forward to seeing where it goes from here.
pyoinator likes this.

---
---
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
How many pounds of stone do you have in that. It will raise KH/GH but it shouldn't be that much especially with ADA AS.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
How many pounds of stone do you have in that. It will raise KH/GH but it shouldn't be that much especially with ADA AS.
Hm I don't remember exactly, there's a decent bit of stone there, maybe 20 pounds of stone sounds about right? The stone is pretty well rooted in the substrate, it's what gives the soil more height in the back.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Had an issue with the CO2 regulator yesterday, so left the lights off the most of the day so that algae hopefully wouldn't take advantage of the lack of CO2. Got it all fixed up I believe, tank was back to being full of bubbles this morning. Starting to lower the fert dosing, will be interested to see how the plants respond to lower dosing. Also thinking of dosing micros every day, seems like the consensus is that it's better for plant uptake than every other day.

Tank is looking pretty good, monte carlo is slowly but surely spreading over the bottom, in general plants are slowly improving. Can't help but feel like I need some strong reds in there somewhere. My rotalas are always leaning over, don't know why they insist on doing that. They always fall over when I'm doing a water change but other than that I have no idea why they do that. Water flow is the opposite direction.

Going to do some husbandry tonight, trimming and cleaning up, replanting things my cories, kuhlis and SAE ripped up. Haven't been able to get in there for a little while and am looking forward to it!

Attached is FTS and a photo of some rainbows trying to figure out how to eat the algae wafer meant for the other fish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	102920.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	904771  

Name:	feeding.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	904773  

Greggz likes this.

Tags
75g, journal, planted, rainbow fish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode