Artificial Island, 8GAL Nano Hi-Tech Build - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 09:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
just curious about you decision to employ a 200w heater on this tank? are you currently heating the tank? what is the target temp for the tank?

love the rasboras! and the tank is looking great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Target temp is 76-77, the reason for heater -- one less thing in the tank, more space for Aquascape. As you can see the current heater is pretty darn obvious.

The Blyxa is not going to grow as tall and even with the rock work, there will be no way to conceal it. Therefore, if I have an inline, problem solved.

Thanks. Will be posting some pictures shortly.

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
sure enough! i see it in the middle back there... i have one of those heaters in a box upstairs but, never put it on the tank. not sure why i never installed it

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great heater, my Buce grew on it (as you can see) and still works like it was Brand new. Sadly, a bit of an eyesore.

Gary
Econde likes this.

post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Blyxa is starting to grow out quite nicely and getting red tips, which means, more than enough light is hitting it. Going to let it grow out and no more changes until Apr of next year.

The last thing I want to do is put in all the rockwork only to tear it down again. I would rather do it once than twice.

Gary
Econde likes this.

post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Todays session: 34 minutes

Once again, simple clean of glass inside/outside, change of water and retweak the Aquascape. I remove all the buce from the rocks at the front, really needs to be misplaced there. It will look better when I build my faux rock mound with the Buce attached to that.

Blyxa is starting to propagate like crazy. I had to throw away two huge mother plants today, literally no room for them right now.

The grow out is going as planned, I believe my idea having it rocks focused is a great idea. It's just getting to the new place to initiate Phase II.

Todays album was Draconian' s new album (four years in the making), "Under a Godless Veil" that was released on the 30th of October. If you are a Lacuna Coil fan, you will enjoy this band as well.

"Sorrow of Sophia, Sleepwalkers and Claw Marks on the Throne" are favorites on this album.

Gary
Nebthet78 likes this.

post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-08-2020, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

30 Minute Session today

I will admit I am losing some steam when it comes to Artificial Island. It is not lack of interest or upkeep but fighting the urge to rescape, knowing that I will have to break it down again that seems to be curtailing any further progress on the tank.

While I am letting the Blyxa grow out, the Buce is starting to spread again my enthusiasm to keep the Aquascape static is starting to wane. The hard part is resisting to forge ahead and worry about the breakdown later.

Work has been extremely busy and the last few weeks, more and more of time has become dedicated to it. Along with Weekend calls with issues. While I usually field one or two a weekend, the frequency and numbers are increasing with relation to how busy things are becoming. This is supposed to the "Project" time of the year.

Standard water change, glass cleaning and debris clean up. I would love to see a small school of C.habrosus swimming around but I know I have to wait for that as well.

This weeks album was "The Great Fleet of Echos" by Throes of Dawn.

Gary
Nebthet78 likes this.

post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Simple 34 minute water change today. Scraped the glass inside with my "Debit Card" from long ago, cleaned up a few of the rocks and simple general maintenance.

During which, I lost power due to the high winds (more like gusts) moving through my area. Tank is on autopilot, though I am going to get at least one Amano Shrimp for the tank. I believe the task it does the best is something I need considering I only have one Red Cherry Shrimp left.

Why I cannot keep Red Cherries is a puzzle to me and makes me hesitate about getting an Amano.

NO music, just silence, performed the rest of the maintenance in the dark.

Gary
Econde likes this.

post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygar View Post

During which, I lost power due to the high winds (more like gusts) moving through my area.
Gary

Hope you got your power back...I lost mine yesterday, too, and it may not be back for 3 days....not good!
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

For me, it was a 1 and half hour inconvenience, though I did have to charge my phone via my car, but hey, it was not the end of the world.

Yeah, I heard that the Detroit area still has a lot of homes without Power. If you can, get a battery operated bubbler for your tank and if need be, wrap you tank in a towel to keep heat in.

Gary

post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-17-2020, 10:34 PM
Algae Grower

Power was restored today after a 2 day outage - temps in my tank got down to the low 60s....good to know our fish and plants can withstand these extremes

I was eyeing a household generator if this stretched into a 3rd day
Crazygar likes this.
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Our Fish and plants are more resilient than we think. Good to hear everything made it through ok.

Gary
Nebthet78 likes this.

post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 08:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tank is lookin real nice, keep up the good work! Glad to hear they pulled through despite the cold-front !

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, that is an old picture though. I have not really posted anything new in a while, I may get around to doing that to show you how much the tank has changed.

Gary
Econde and Nebthet78 like this.

post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

45 minute session today. I noticed that some Green Hair Algae is starting to appear (lack of fast growing plants), so I have removed what I can find and target dosed with Excel on other spots that proved more stubborn.

I suppose I will throw in some Amazon Frogbit for the time to keep things balanced until I can do the rescape and put in the faster growing plants then (Rotala H'ra is still on the queue).

Basic maintenance water change, glass cleaning, algae removal, debris cleanup and restart. Really looking forward to doing this rescape. Will I make the next AGA? I should be able to without too much issue. Just going to take a bit longer to finally rescape things but April 2021 is the target date.

Gary

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode