7 gallon Low-tech build - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
7 gallon Low-tech build

Nothing spectacular; but, am setting up a tank for either fish that require no heater or stay within 68-72 degrees. This is a new one for me. My fish typically need above 78- 86 degrees.
Not sure exactly what type yet. I have some ones that I havenít tried that I would like to; but, first need to see if my KH/Gh and TDS are compatible to their needs. And, size, substrate, flow, etc... That is important to me.
Planned on this to be/ at first / a shrimp tank. But, I am not a good shrimp keeper beyond neoís. Need to get a piece of glass cut for top.
My yellow neos are doing well, so will be going into my 9 gallon and this will go off into another direction.

This is the quickest I have ever put up a tank. I didnít angst over anything. It is what it is and Iím very pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Econde, Boostr and mbkemp like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 06:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Nothing spectacular; but, am setting up a tank for either fish that require no heater or stay within 68-72 degrees. This is a new one for me. My fish typically need above 78- 86 degrees.
Not sure exactly what type yet. I have some ones that I havenít tried that I would like to; but, first need to see if my KH/Gh and TDS are compatible to their needs. And, size, substrate, flow, etc... That is important to me.
Planned on this to be/ at first / a shrimp tank. But, I am not a good shrimp keeper beyond neoís. Need to get a piece of glass cut for top.
My yellow neos are doing well, so will be going into my 9 gallon and this will go off into another direction.

This is the quickest I have ever put up a tank. I didnít angst over anything. It is what it is and Iím very pleased with it.

The leopard, zebra, and long-finned danios are readily available and extremely hardy fish. Danios prefer temperatures between 65 and 75 degrees but can survive temperatures from 60į to 80į.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Yay, excited for this journal. Im a big fan of low tech tanks and think we need more of them. Have you looked into the Everglades Pygmy Sunfish (Elassoma evergladei)? Ive read they are a range from 50-86 degrees. They are a fish ive had my eye on and think they are pretty cool little micro-predators. What brand tank do you have? Thanks!
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 05:00 AM
Planted Member

Quote:

I just noticed you do not have anything under your tank, like a foam, do you think that can be an issue? Or am i uninformed?

Cause I am currently using a layer of foam under mine, i though it was weird on laying it direct in contact with the table.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 09:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

I think it looks great, you should be pleased! The colder water will be good for the plants and shrimp too.

Lots of really nice fish options for that temperature range too. White clouds, rice fish and CPDs obviously come to mind.
Discusluv likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.nublet View Post
I think it looks great, you should be pleased! The colder water will be good for the plants and shrimp too.

Lots of really nice fish options for that temperature range too. White clouds, rice fish and CPDs obviously come to mind.
Thank you!

Im really excited about exploring my options. I think I will try some small live-breeders. Ive never kept this group of fish. If they get too prolific I can sell at my local aquarium society.
Econde likes this.

Amy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 01:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thank you!

Im really excited about exploring my options. I think I will try some small live-breeders. Ive never kept this group of fish. If they get too prolific I can sell at my local aquarium society.
Endlers/Guppies are relentless. I have well over 27+ in my 22 gallon . I should have just gotten 2 females and 1 male but nooo I decided to get 11(two jumped out sadly). Trying to figure out a way to give some of them away. I was excited when I saw little fry swimming around. Now they're everywhere.
Discusluv likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Endlers/Guppies are relentless. I have well over 27+ in my 22 gallon . I should have just gotten 2 females and 1 male but nooo I decided to get 11(two jumped out sadly). Trying to figure out a way to give some of them away. I was excited when I saw little fry swimming around. Now they're everywhere.
No guppies for me. Hoping to find something less vigorous-- haha. If they are all like that then Ill just get tetras like I always do.

Or, I was considering one of the smaller rainbow species, but I need to find one that takes soft water and within this temperature range.
Econde likes this.

Amy
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 01:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
No guppies for me. Hoping to find something less vigorous-- haha. If they are all like that then Ill just get tetras like I always do.

Or, I was considering one of the smaller rainbow species, but I need to find one that takes soft water and within this temperature range.
@somewhatshocked uses Heterandria formosa. I remember him mentioning that they can regulate the amount of fry they produce. I'd love to keep tetra's but my water is hard 10 GH and 10 KH(I've stopped fighting with RO water). I'll be going with Harlequin Rasbora's in my 30 gallon. Hmm or maybe something else if I can find fish suited with the water parameters I have.
Discusluv likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
@somewhatshocked uses Heterandria formosa. I remember him mentioning that they can regulate the amount of fry they produce. I'd love to keep tetra's but my water is hard 10 GH and 10 KH(I've stopped fighting with RO water). I'll be going with Harlequin Rasbora's in my 30 gallon. Hmm or maybe something else if I can find fish suited with the water parameters I have.
Oh yeah, E had forgotten about the Heterandria formosa. That may be perfect! Thanks for reminding me about that.
Econde likes this.

Amy
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

What a pain in the derriŤre this whole thing has been. Self-imposed pain all the way. Panic is never rational.

So, I set up a new tank because I thought the Spec V had a leak. I mean, water was slowly seeping out from edges under the tank, but it wasnt a leak that put that water there. Not sure when or how I spilled water under the tank, but I did at some point.

The Spec V has been on the kitchen counter with the remaining shrimp in there until the other is cycled. So, it hasn't officially been taken down. Just on hold.
Yesterday i decided to take all the rock and most of the plants out to see what I had as far as yellow neos. To my surprise there were 6 Red Tigers still in the tank. Why haven't I seen them? They seem fine. eating, moving, legs going.

I dont know. When it comes to shrimp I just make mistakes at every turn.

Amy
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 09:22 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Get H. formosa!
Econde and Discusluv like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Get H. formosa!
H. formosa it is! Hopefully someone has them through my local aquarium society.
Econde likes this.

Amy
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 08:46 PM
Algae Grower

How about Dwarf Emerald Rasboras

The Green Stuff
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Yay, excited for this journal. Im a big fan of low tech tanks and think we need more of them. Have you looked into the Everglades Pygmy Sunfish (Elassoma evergladei)? Ive read they are a range from 50-86 degrees. They are a fish ive had my eye on and think they are pretty cool little micro-predators. What brand tank do you have? Thanks!
Hi!~
Im sorry i missed your post earlier.
I will look into the fish you are speaking of. Dont know much about it.

This tank is a Lifeguard crystal Aquarium.

https://www.lifegardaquatics.com/pro...tal-aquariums/

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Get H. formosa!
Cant find any .

I have a month though to locate.
xjasminex likes this.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode