20 gallon German Ram breeder *56k*: I'VE GOT FRY! 2-17-05 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 gallon German Ram breeder *56k*: I'VE GOT FRY! 2-17-05

Not quite finished planting it yet, but I just got a new camera and started snapping pics of my rams playing. I'll post pics of the tank later.

Last edited by raykwonx; 02-18-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:49 AM

Nice rams, how many do you have in there?

No full tank shot?...
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to say what's in the tank.
Specs:
20 gallon
55W Power Compact
Penguin 170 Power Filter
150 Watt Heater

Inhabitants:
3 German Blue Rams (2 Females, 1 male)
10 Pygmy Corydorus (pygmaeus corydorus)
1 True Siamensis Algae Eater
1 Yoyo Loach
1 Mystery Snail

Flora:
Amazon Swords
Rubin Sword
Sunset Hygrophilia
Water Sprite

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

The tank needs to be trimmed a lot and I've been too lazy to do it. Once I get on that I'll take some full tank pics and post them. Maybe tonight since I'm pretty bored right now anyways.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Rams looks great! I'm very jealous, 2 females and 1 male. Wow that's going to be a nice spawning group. Have they spawned for you before? The female looks like she has a belly full of eggs.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykwonx
Inhabitants:
1 True Siamensis Algae Eater
1 Yoyo Loach
1 Mystery Snail
Those three animals are beautiful/useful but are going to make it hard to raise eggs if that is you goal. I have loaches and SAE both 'rob nests' while the rams were starting to court. Snails attack in the night and could be a problem. I would suggest something that hangs at the top like white mountan clouds or just bare.

Nice pictures!

Moved to Tucson.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

"Have they spawned for you before? The female looks like she has a belly full of eggs."

Not yet, I just got the male earlier this week. The females have been waiting to spawn with the belly full of eggs for about 1.5 months now. I just never found the right male until recently.

"I have loaches and SAE both 'rob nests' while the rams were starting to court. Snails attack in the night and could be a problem. "

Thanks for the advice. I was aware that the loach would eat the eggs, however his current job is to rid the tank of all the snails in there. When the snails are gone I'll remove him. I was not aware of the SAE robbing the nests, thank you for bringing that to my attention. His job is to battle the hair algae in the tank, which is mostly gone and receding now that I've had more time to maintain my tank and use R/O water. If the snail proves to be a problem, I have no qualms about removing him too. Again, he was just part of the cleanup crew. I'm sure the pygmy cories should not present a problem, as they are scared of the rams and probably too small to get near the eggs anyways.

"I would suggest something that hangs at the top like white mountan clouds or just bare"

You mean as tank mates? I never thought of white clouds, although I would love to get a school of cardinal tetras in there. Do white clouds school as well as cardinals? I've had neons before, and they don't really school at all, but I know cardinals school very tight and it looks awesome.

"Nice pictures!"

Thanks! Took me almost an entire year to figure out the right freakin settings on my camera. Maybe next time I'll do a better job of cleaning my tank up before I take the pics ;-P.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What do you condition your rams with? I've recently just fed my rams blood worms and flakes for weeks. I think they are very sensitive when I come near the tank and start showing ugly black colors on thier bodies. I don't know what I should do with the pair, was thinking about trading it in for a pair of german blues or goldens.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

You might want to check out Uni's Nursery for rams and angels. Top shelf work!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11069

I finally got my angels to freeswiming so I think I can get the rams in the next spawn or two.

Moved to Tucson.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks BR, going to read it in a bit.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Algae Grower

Man...excellent fish! what's your tank parameters right now and how soft is your water?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What do you condition your rams with?
I mix it up a lot. Tetramin Flakes, New Line Spectrum pellets, Frozen Blood Worms, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Live Brine Shrimp, Hikari Carnivore Wafers, and Hikari Algae Wafers.

Quote:
I think they are very sensitive when I come near the tank and start showing ugly black colors on thier bodies.
Mine swim towards the front of the glass and wait for food when I come near.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Well, I finally took a picture of my whole tank.

This was one week ago. Since then, I have removed my snails, SAE, and Yoyo loach. Now my tank looks like this:

Obviously I've got an algae problem. I'm positive it is too much light and not enough plants. I have a few ways of combating this,
A) I am going to install a DIY C02 injector. This way my plants will grow better and suck up some more nutrients.
B) I'm thinking about getting some Red Cherry Shrimp. Does anyone know if this would be a good idea if I'm trying to breed my rams? Will they eat the eggs?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't think cherry shrimp will bother the eggs, looks like you need a foreground plant. Looks good so far, the rams look small compared to the tank.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

raykwonx:

That algea may great for feeding fry but not so good on the eyes. May I recomend a floating plant if you want to keep most everything the same or swaping the swords for faster growing stem plants? You might also want to load back the SAE etc and let your rams spawn a time or two before setting up a nursery. Is your substrate as thin as it looks?

Moved to Tucson.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode