Balance... my 10 gal tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Balance... my 10 gal tank

Seems like my 10gal tank has found stability.

Every week I change about 1/3 of the water, and rip out some Pearlweed and Java Moss. I add small amounts of fertilizers, and a 3l soda bottle provides some CO2.

I must say it is a little more challenging to get smaller tanks like this to balance out. I had lots of problems with nasty beard/red/blue algae, but it was worth the wait.

The fauna: 1 female Ram, 5 male Dwarf Pencils, 2 Otos, 1 Bamboo shrimp (you can spot it on the red "mountain", sitting below the AC Mini output), 3 or 4 ghost shrimps, and hundreds of Cherrie shrimps (hard to spot in the picture, there are a bunch in the Java fern to the right).

I have stopped feeding the fish... they eat small cherry shrimps, which in turn eat whatever grows on plant and substrate surfaces. The bamboo shrimp filters out microscopic organisms that drift through the water.

Very relaxing tank...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Awesome! *sigh*....

Heidi

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 12:15 AM

Nice 10 gal.

Is it just me or is that bamboo shrimp the biggest thing in there? I've seen pics of it in other threads but didn't realize how big it was, you should list that thing along with your equipment as a filter.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 12:16 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice lil 10G jungle ya got there Wass...
You are a better man then me, them dang bamboo shrimp scare the heck outta me, evil lookin critters !
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

WOW! That looks great.

Of course, I am a little bit upset to see it. Now I'll be tempted to do something with my empty 10. Wife would not want to hear that.

What type of lighting do you use on there?

Agreed, Buck, that's one evil looking crustacean. Must be at least three inches. I once saw something sold as a "wood shrimp" about that size. Obviously a filter feeder, but that wasn't enough to get me to buy it!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

I love my lil Shrimpie!! Here are some close-ups for those who dare... https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9421 When the big guy doesn't show up for a few days we always get a bit nervous. The last time he molded, the skin looked like an exact replica of the whole thing, including antennae and little forefeet brushes. Scared the heck out of me, until I realized he was sitting and grinning from underneath the bushes...

The tank is lit by two 10 Watt lamps that they sell at Walmarts pet section around here. Thanks to phantastic self-made mirror reflectors a big part of those 20 Watts goes into the tank. For gods sake, there is even Glosso growing here and there. Of course, that's impossible.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Algae Grower

A face only a mother could love.

Heh, I see some Glosso in the lower right corner foreground.

I, too have a bare 10g I am dying to aquascape once I have some more time on my hands. More pictures please!

Eheim #94----

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ohhhh my gawwwwd ! Why the **** did i look at those photos ! Now I am going to have nightmares, thanks Wass
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks awesome, still trying to find your ram in the picture.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:36 AM

Nice 10 gallon tank!
Yours looks way better than mine... and with only 20 watts!!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Ohhhh my gawwwwd ! Why the **** did i look at those photos ! Now I am going to have nightmares, thanks Wass
Don't say I didn't warn you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMup04
Looks awesome, still trying to find your ram in the picture.
Hmmm... I swear it's there somewhere! Maybe a little camera-shy.

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:39 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, " Sweet Tank "
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahkuma
In the words of Napoleon Dynamite, " Sweet Tank "
Haha, I love that movie!

"LUCKY!!"
Looks great, man.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I looked at the pictures. Eesh. And I read through the rest of the thread too.

Considering my wife's reaction when I read her the part about Amanos jumping ship and crawling around the floor, coupled with what some people are saying about the size that they can reach, I think I'll stick with my nice little ghost shrimp. That and I can only find Amanos for about $2.50 plus around here, whereas ghosts are $.30. Maybe I should look into cherries.

On the other hand, our cat would probably love shrimp that get out of the tank and run around. "Hammy, fresh seafood!!!"
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 05:13 PM

I think the shrimp is kind of cool looking! BTW I love your tank!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode