(DIY)30G Breeder - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
It's been a little while since I've cycled a tank. A dirted tank for that matter anyway. I didn't realize how much tannins leached into my water column. My TDS was fairly high, at around 380~ and I also wanted to drop the Nitrates down a bit as well. I changed out roughly 50% (3 x 5 gallon buckets worth). Water was almost urine color! I should have taken a picture of the bucket of water. You can see from these 2 FTS the difference. I've been wondering what the greenish hue in the water column was.

This is before the water change.

This is right after.

doug105! likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 07:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Oh yeah, definitely tons of tannins

I wonder if putting a bunch of purigen would help with that

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-29-2020, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
Oh yeah, definitely tons of tannins

I wonder if putting a bunch of purigen would help with that
It probably would. I've quit using filter media such as activated charcoal and purigen. I'm on the boat of 'water changes will fix that'. I just did another water change last Sunday and there were still tannins for sure, but not as bad as the first water change. I'll keep up with the twice weekly routine for the time being just to be safe.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's been about a couple weeks since I've filled this tank. I've noticed some plants melting. Star grass leaves started to die off, but the stems were still healthy, so I replanted the tops. Rotala wallichii tops are turning pink but the bottom half of the stems melted, so I cut them took the tops and replanted. Ludwigia arcuata surprised me. The new growth looked like it started to get stunted. To my surprise it was growing to it's actual form with needle like leaves. Everything else appears to be doing decently well. Been keeping up with water changes every 4-5 days at least 15 gallons at a time.

I ordered some plants from King Koi Goldfish... all I can say is meh. Everything was packaged well, styrofoam, individually bagged and sealed. Rotala Macrandra, AR Rosanverig, Limnophila Aromatica,
Hygrophila Pinnatifida and Hygrophila Araguaia. 2/3's of the plants were in really bad shape, broken stems, lots of missing and melting leaves. Anyway I can't recommend them at all. They did refund me for 4 of the plants( 2x AR Rosanverig and 2x Hygrophila Araguaia. Rotala Macrandra is recovering nicely, Hygrophila Pinnatifada is as well. Hygrophila Araguaia seems to be doing okay so far, can't say the same about the rest of the plants. Ah well, lesson learned.

Here's a FTS from 10/06/2020 :

ipkiss and Boostr like this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank looks good. Ya can give Aquarium Co-Op a shot. They package Their plant shipments very well. I don't know if they have all the plants that you are looking for, but ya can try them out.
Econde likes this.

The Green Stuff
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostr View Post
Tank looks good. Ya can give Aquarium Co-Op a shot. They package Their plant shipments very well. I don't know if they have all the plants that you are looking for, but ya can try them out.
Thank you! I'll check them out sometime. A lot of my plants have come from members of this forum.
Boostr likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Thank you! I'll check them out sometime. A lot of my plants have come from members of this forum.
Oh, gotcha
Econde likes this.

The Green Stuff
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's been nearly a month since I've filled this tank. Most of the plants that had problems are bouncing back. Cycle finished last week and I've since then added some guppy fry to keep the BB going. Still continuing 4-5 day 50-75% water changes, averaging out about 66%. Been keeping tabs on my fertilizing regime thanks to @Greggz . Front loading Macros. Targeting 12-8-22 and also adding a little bit more Mg (about 2ppm) to the mix. Daily dosing micro's every morning. Changed my light and CO2 schedule on both my 30 and my 22 gallon. Will add more time to my 30 gallon every week at about 30 minute increments.

Lights :5:30AM-6:30AM (just for viewing) 4:00PM - 9:00PM.
CO2 : 3:00AM - 8:00PM

Also would like to thank @fablau , @burr740 , @monkeyruler90 , @Doogy262 and @SpringHalo . I think I got everyone that I've received plants from, sorry If I missed one of you. Anyway here is a full tank shot.

Greggz, burr740 and ElleDee like this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
It's been nearly a month since I've filled this tank. Most of the plants that had problems are bouncing back. Cycle finished last week and I've since then added some guppy fry to keep the BB going. Still continuing 4-5 day 50-75% water changes, averaging out about 66%. Been keeping tabs on my fertilizing regime thanks to @Greggz . Front loading Macros. Targeting 12-8-22 and also adding a little bit more Mg (about 2ppm) to the mix. Daily dosing micro's every morning. Changed my light and CO2 schedule on both my 30 and my 22 gallon. Will add more time to my 30 gallon every week at about 30 minute increments.

Lights :5:30AM-6:30AM (just for viewing) 4:00PM - 9:00PM.
CO2 : 3:00AM - 8:00PM

Also would like to thank @fablau , @burr740 , @monkeyruler90 , @Doogy262 and @SpringHalo . I think I got everyone that I've received plants from, sorry If I missed one of you. Anyway here is a full tank shot.

Wow those plants are really doing well! Water clearing up as well. Keep us updated!
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now3 View Post
Wow those plants are really doing well! Water clearing up as well. Keep us updated!
Thanks. This was yesterday right after a water change. There are still a ton of tannins leaching out from the soil. Always has a yellow/brown color.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 06:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
yeah, no problem, glad you got the plants

interesting, so you're still pumping CO2 from 6:30am- 4:00pm without lights?
with these size lights are you seeing pearling when they do come back up?
Econde likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
yeah, no problem, glad you got the plants

interesting, so you're still pumping CO2 from 6:30am- 4:00pm without lights?
with these size lights are you seeing pearling when they do come back up?
You know what, they pearl but not as much as my other tank under the Fluval Plant 3.0. The reason I decided to just keep running it is I have 2 metering valves on one solenoid. Plus I figure if I can keep CO2 steady, on both tanks, it shouldn't be a problem(I hope). Later down the road, I plan on extending the duration of my lights on the 30 gallon.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
That looks really good. I see a few of my babies
Econde likes this.

post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
That looks really good. I see a few of my babies
Very good babies at that. I've been propagating the heck out of them. Probably another few weeks, it'll look the way I want it.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode