(DIY)30G Breeder - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well I actually do have some updates! I sifted some dirt for the tank and then my wife joined me . Tedious at best but worth the effort IMO. My wife and I also moved the setup into its final location in our basement.

I found a 2ft fluorescent t5ho on the side of the street! Bad news is one of the ballasts is shot but I found a suitable replacement through amazon. After seeing the bulbs combination thread, it solidified what I want for this setup. I was debating whether or not to get LED lighting or stick with this 4 bulb fixture.

So here's some pictures from last weekend.

Chunks galore.

My very precise sifter(JK it's an oil splash guard for frying pans)

Final sifted product.

Here's the grow light I found. Might paint it black eventually.

Tank's new home. Not too far from my 22 Gallon.

I didn't take a photo of inside the tank yet. I've placed about 1" of dry sifted dirt in there so far. I think I will stick with that for now.
Oughtsix likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Econde; 09-02-2020 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm in for the ride! Sub'd!
Econde likes this.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0signal View Post
I'm in for the ride! Sub'd!
Awesome. Buckle up cause it's gonna be slow!

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 01:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Awesome. Buckle up cause it's gonna be slow!
Econde likes this.

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 11:56 PM
Algae Grower

Nice build! Following along for the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Econde likes this.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been slowly progressing with this build. Added about 1" dry soil into the tank. Now its about a little over 1/2" wet. Capped it with Black blasting sand 1240 grade. Hung the lights. Received my bubble counter, Ista Reactor and bulbs should be coming in today. Metering valves should be arriving shortly this week. Planning to trim from my 22 gallon and plant into this tank by the end of the month.

Here's how it looks so far. Please don't mind the mess.

xjasminex and Discusluv like this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 07:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I love the build so far!

man, getting a free light is awesome if all you had to do was get the ballast but it would be even better if you could get a 3 ft fixture.

I actually have the same footprint 36x18 and when I had lights set up that didn't reach the ends then those plants would always grow weird trying to grow towards the center.

I would definitely go for the DIY LED, it'll take the build to a new level!
Econde likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
I love the build so far!

man, getting a free light is awesome if all you had to do was get the ballast but it would be even better if you could get a 3 ft fixture.

I actually have the same footprint 36x18 and when I had lights set up that didn't reach the ends then those plants would always grow weird trying to grow towards the center.

I would definitely go for the DIY LED, it'll take the build to a new level!
DIY LED's will by my next thing to try out. For now I'll see how far I can get with these Fluorescent bulbs. I found some bulbs for decent(at least I think it was) pricing. I do wish it was a 3 foot fixture, but meh, beggars can't be choosers.

What tank was it? a 40 breeder?

Edit: I've seen your journal before, and finally took a look at your signature. Awesome build btw!

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Last edited by Econde; 09-14-2020 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Just remembered.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 07:51 PM
Algae Grower

This is cool. I am having algae issues in my high tech tank right now and seeing the Walstad method done from the get go is giving me a lot of cool ideas.
Econde likes this.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I was thoroughly surprised by the lights I ordered. I was expecting some off brand bulbs.

Tested it out over the tank just for a bit. Was hoping for more of a purplish hue.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking good. I look forward to seeing this tank filled with plants. Should be interesting. Something unique/interesting about super shallow tanks. I don't know what it is.
Econde likes this.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Looking good. I look forward to seeing this tank filled with plants. Should be interesting. Something unique/interesting about super shallow tanks. I don't know what it is.
The only thing I'm afraid of is..well the difference between 1080P TVs vs 4K TVs. If you look at other tanks that are bigger, everything fills out nice because the plants look smaller. This tank the plants will definitely look bigger. My tank is 1080P. I definitely want the tank to get lush and bushy in some areas. Hopefully it turns out well.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Same kind of issue with my 33 long. But so far, I haven't had a problem. I'm sure you won't either.
Econde likes this.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 05:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
The only thing I'm afraid of is..well the difference between 1080P TVs vs 4K TVs. If you look at other tanks that are bigger, everything fills out nice because the plants look smaller. This tank the plants will definitely look bigger. My tank is 1080P. I definitely want the tank to get lush and bushy in some areas. Hopefully it turns out well.
I used some small leaf plants and that gave the perception that it was a larger tank
Econde likes this.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
I used some small leaf plants and that gave the perception that it was a larger tank
I'm hoping Ill have enough from my other tank. I do want some rotalas like H'ra. I'll have a decent amount of real estate to play with.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode