• 1 Post By zer0signal
  • 3 Post By mboley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Zerosignal's 125g - Journal

This is my journal on my 125G tank:

I took a long hiatus from this hobby when my two kids were born. But now that I have some more free time again, I got the itch and started backup.

I am not the greatest, but I enjoy the view and always trying to learn.
Most of all having fun while doing this, once it becomes a chore, its not fun anymore.

Hopefully I can get more patience from doing this as well.

This tank was started in late May 2020, and is still in progress.

Equipment:
2 Fluval FX4
4 AI Prime HD Freshwater Lights
Co2 20lb w/ regulator (Located in utility room - keeps away from kids)
Eheim Skimmer
Airpump for after hours degassing (Located in utility room - noise)
4in Rex Grigg Reactor (42in tall)

Substrate:
Black Sand

Software:
Reef-Pi
- This controls the Heaters, logs the temperatures, and controls all the kasa plugs for the equipment.
- PH Controller - This now controls my Co2 usage based on PH Probe Readings and my defined upper/lower limit.

Plant List:
Jungle Val
Lud Wig Super Red
Dwarf Sag
dwarf hair
weeping moss
java moss
Rotala Rotund
Rotala h'ra
Rotala Indica
Rotala Nanjenshan
needle leaf java fern
mini bolbitus
Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus
Mote Carlo

Dosing:
EI Method
DIY Osmo Root Tabs

Water:
RODI - w/ Alkaline and Equilibrium to rebuild it (my well is not the greatest quality (PH 8+, KH 10 and GH 14)
Water is made in a 55g brute trash can, and ran all week w/ heater and circulation pumps. Sat/Sun, I mix in the Alkaline and Equal.
KH 3 and GH 5

Greggz, 808style, burr740 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by zer0signal; 09-09-2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: spelling - New info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 03:11 AM
Algae Grower

Wow, very impressive setup! Looking good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808style View Post
Wow, very impressive setup! Looking good!
Thank You!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I probably should list the stocking of fish.

Dennision Barbs (Roseline Shark)
YoYo Loachs
Bolivian Rams
Harlequinn Raspboras
Apisto Agassizi
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So... I got tired of the previous layout (past 7 weeks), and bought quite a few more plants and driftwood.

I ended up smashing the big chunks of dragon stone I had, and laid those out in the tank.

Used some old rocks to temporarily hold down the large drift wood on the right side of the tank.

I think I have a strong base with everything flowing left to right, but the stones and middle is always what holds me up. I am sure Ill move some of the middle/right side around in the coming days.

But 5hrs on this sat/sun, with a major cleaning. I'm done For now...

New Plant List:
Anubis Barteri
Crypt Wendetti Green
Crypt Wendetti Red
Cabomba
Red Myrio
Rotala Indica
Ludwigia Red Needle Leaf

Quagulator likes this.

Last edited by zer0signal; 08-16-2020 at 10:46 PM. Reason: More Photos, more details
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ended up renting a PAR Meter, should be here later this week.

I plan to note PAR readings w/ different tuning's and heights for the AI Prime Freshwater HD's in my tank.

Will share data once I have it all laid out in a spreadsheet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also another update.

Both my Rams and Apistos have spawned in this tank, in the past 7 days.

So thats pretty cool.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

I saw the exact same setup at petsmart. How do you like that tank and stand?
zer0signal likes this.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
I saw the exact same setup at petsmart. How do you like that tank and stand?
Tank is awesome, stand is horrible.

Stand looks good, but its cheap mdf, and not really sealed, so any water it swells quickly.
Will ended building a new stand soon enough.
Econde likes this.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Current PAR data I collected so far...

But I need to play with this meter more..
I get very high readings when i'm next to the glass, thinking its probably reflected light.
So I started just going from center to left in 0,4,8,10,12 inch increments, avoiding the tank glass.

The glass readings need to be re-done, as I took them after I had the glass off for and hour or two. So they were colder than the tank (AC), and fogged up right as I was testing.

AI Prime Freshwater HD PAR Readings

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 02:37 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0signal View Post
Current PAR data I collected so far...

But I need to play with this meter more..
I get very high readings when i'm next to the glass, thinking its probably reflected light.
So I started just going from center to left in 0,4,8,10,12 inch increments, avoiding the tank glass.

The glass readings need to be re-done, as I took them after I had the glass off for and hour or two. So they were colder than the tank (AC), and fogged up right as I was testing.

AI Prime Freshwater HD PAR Readings
The way Im reading this is that you aren't taking readings at the substrate? You would get high readings just under the glass but that's not a measurement that matters. And going left or right you shouldnt have any light spread issues with four pendants. What you want to determine is if your lights are the right height to get good par over your entire substrate, front to back as well.

It may be better for example to raise your light height and turn up the power if it results in better par over the entire substrate.

Also, take the readings with the glass tops off. Most folks measure par that way, so you'll be able to compare your numbers with others. 80 -100 at the substrate is considered high light.

And you dont need the tops; they block light, limit gas exchange, trap heat, and make you less likely to put your hands in the tank. Evaporation isnt difficult to keep up on, which some site as a purpose, nor is fish jumping much of an issue.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
The way Im reading this is that you aren't taking readings at the substrate? You would get high readings just under the glass but that's not a measurement that matters. And going left or right you shouldnt have any light spread issues with four pendants. What you want to determine is if your lights are the right height to get good par over your entire substrate, front to back as well.

It may be better for example to raise your light height and turn up the power if it results in better par over the entire substrate.

Also, take the readings with the glass tops off. Most folks measure par that way, so you'll be able to compare your numbers with others. 80 -100 at the substrate is considered high light.

And you dont need the tops; they block light, limit gas exchange, trap heat, and make you less likely to put your hands in the tank. Evaporation isnt difficult to keep up on, which some site as a purpose, nor is fish jumping much of an issue.
Sorry, I guess I should have stated that this is 24in above the substrate, about 4-5in above the water line (totaling 24in or 28in depending on the spreadsheet row above the substrate).

The photo sensor is on the end of the wand, and is sitting on the top layer of sand (Apogee 510 Par Meter).

Also this is with all other pendant lights and ambient lighting turned off (including overhead lighting in basement), so i could have a baseline of a single light.

The high readings i'm noticing is if i put the sensor on the substrate directly against the front glass.. It goes from like 90~ -> 130, but I don't see that if I go the same distance left or right, or put it against the rear glass (Which is painted black, probably limiting reflection)

For the glass top, I want no glass; But I have a 2 year old that likes to roll chairs up to it and sit watch or play in it. I have found multiple kids toys tossed in. I did have custom tops made, so they don't have a hinge blocking the light (creating a black shadow across the substrate).

Last edited by zer0signal; 08-27-2020 at 11:40 AM. Reason: more info
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I finally got the Reef-Pi with PH monitoring up and running. It now manages my Co2 System based on my current PH readings. This allows me to log, and fine tune it even more; while also preventing Gassing the fish. This is all logged on my Raspberry Pi with Web Interface. I have been running just the temp/heater control since May... But this really makes it so much better! *DATA DATA and More DATA*

I got a few more plants in here as well: - Thanks Burr

Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Pantanal'​
Myriophyllum roraima​
Pogosteman kimberly​
Syngonanthus sp 'Giant'​
Tonina fluviatilis 'toucantins' -​

I did have to pull the massive piece of drift would out as well. It was to large for my liking, and it was to close to the lights ~500+ par in some spots (3-5in below light). I feel like it might have been my cause of my fight with BBA. I finally think I have it under control now.

Some other news, both the Rams, and Apistos have now spawned in this tank. The Denison Barbs (Roseline Sharks) love my Monte Carlo, and Dwarf Hair grass. I feel like I wont be able to carpet this tank w/ these fish. But oh well, I really like those fish.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Time for a trim!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode