70 Gallon Dutch-Inspired - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 248Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 09:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks again for sharing this info.

Few Questions:

Are are those brown ones(clay) from ADA or a different product any idea where to buy and what are these called ?

Have you mixed these clay type and osmocote into gel capsule yourself or you purchased this entire kit somewhere?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by n70me View Post
Thanks again for sharing this info.

Few Questions:

Are are those brown ones(clay) from ADA or a different product any idea where to buy and what are these called ?

Have you mixed these clay type and osmocote into gel capsule yourself or you purchased this entire kit somewhere?

Thanks,
The ADA one is called Bottom Plus. It's really rich in NH3/NH4 just like amazonia. I was using the whole stick as instruction. And it is supposed to leave undisturbed for a few months.
Obviously it didn't work well with my weekly uprooting .
If I've ever used it again, I would have cut it into small pieces and used it very sparsely.

I bought the ingredients and made the capsule myself.
I'm from Japan so I have no idea how to buys those stuffs in other countries.
Greggz, zivvel, n70me and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 96 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 06:49 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks.

Another question hope you wont mind me asking so many questions :-).

When you decide to use root tabs under any specific plant/plants...do you alter the water column dosing for that week , like reducing the water column dosing to compensate for any leaks into the water column?

post #64 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks.

Another question hope you wont mind me asking so many questions :-).

When you decide to use root tabs under any specific plant/plants...do you alter the water column dosing for that week , like reducing the water column dosing to compensate for any leaks into the water column?
I keep the water dosing the same. I don't want to make things too complicated.
I'm making substrate replenishing a part of the tank's maintenance.
ADA Amazonia substrate has a "magic" period (about 1-3 months after setting up) that plants grow amazing well.
After that, the growth rate significantly slows down. About 12 months in, I think there's no Nitrogen left in the substrate.
Here in Asia, people often change the substrate when it's depleted of nutrients.
As a cheapskate, I don't wanna change the substrate every year but still want to maintain a good growth rate.
Using root tabs is one of the best ways to do so IMO.

==========================================
Tank update
Straying away from a traditional Dutch tank . Too many colors.
The left side is okay. The right side needs some more work. I need to propagate more lotus blossom and sunset to use them as mid-background plants in the right side.

Sunset grows extremely well if kept at the right height. It struggles a lot when planted too close to the substrate. But when it's about 15cm or 6 inches from the surface, the plant suddenly changes to beast mode and grows almost as fast as the Pantanal.

Left side.

BBA on the nana and ghost is dying off after I fix the co2.
Hendy8888, Greggz, ipkiss and 7 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 05:29 PM
Algae Grower

Great layout of plants. That tripartita is nicely used to cover the filter hoses.
post #66 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 06:12 PM
Algae Grower

Could you comment a bit on your maintenance routine? Substrate vacuuming? How do you trim when stems are too compact next to each other? Uproot a group, trim, and replant?

Your maintenance and husbandry levels are amazing!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
post #67 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Great layout of plants. That tripartita is nicely used to cover the filter hoses.
Thanks. The tripartita wasn’t planted there. They grow themselves out of the tank . I thought it would look cool so I leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notg2009 View Post
Could you comment a bit on your maintenance routine? Substrate vacuuming? How do you trim when stems are too compact next to each other? Uproot a group, trim, and replant?

Your maintenance and husbandry levels are amazing!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks,

Daily maintenance is mostly removing dead leaves while watching the tank. This is to reduce the organics in the tank. Dead leaves can dissolve very quickly.

Water change is done twice a week. About 80-90% each time.

Substrate vacuuming is done once or twice a month while doing WC. It’s highly recommended. Every time I get red algae (BBA or staghorn algae), I always do more vacuuming and within a few weeks, they’re gone. BBA mostly appear due to too much flow/fluctuation of co2 or too much light, but apparently it is also caused by too much organics. Frequently uprooting plants makes the matter worse. When I see BBA on the hardscape or equipments, but not the plants, I know that the tank needs more substrate cleaning.

Filter cleaning is done every two months or monthly if I have time. This is not recommended in other type of aquarium since it disturbs with the BB colony in the filters. However, in a planted tank, plants remove most of the ammonia. Filter cleaning removes the organics which then reduces the biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) of the tank. Since we don’t need a large colony of BBs to chew all the organics waste, there is more oxygen available to the plants and the fishes. This hugely improves fish and plant’s health.

IMO, all the reducing organic waste above is crucial in a high energy system with the canister filters. It’s almost always oxygen limited. If you’re using a sump or running a low energy tank, I think it’s not really that important.

Plants maintenance is done whenever any of the plant groups reaches the surface. First uproot the plant -> remove the bottom -> lightly vacuuming the area -> replant the tops. Leave some space between the groups, like 2 inches/5cm so the group would barely touch each other when they grow out. This helps improving the group-to-group contrast.

Space between the stems within a group is also important. Sometimes it’s for plant health. Touchy plants like Pantanal or macrandra don’t like to be too crowded. The stem in the middle of the group is prone to tip stunting if the neighbor stems out grow it. Sometimes it’s for the visual effect. Depending what kind of texture you want.

Sorry for the wall of text.
Here is a photo of the tank today
Greggz, ipkiss, zivvel and 8 others like this.

post #68 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 07:45 AM
Planted Member

Wow, 80-90% twice a week! Do you have an auto water change set up?

post #69 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Wow, 80-90% twice a week! Do you have an auto water change set up?
Yes, itís fueled by rice and elbow grease though, not electricity jk
ipkiss, zivvel, Econde and 1 others like this.

post #70 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
@nntnam great post about maintenance above.

I agree with every single thing you said.

Everyone is looking for the "secret" to a great tank. It's mostly just working harder at it.
zivvel and nntnam like this.

---
---
post #71 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
@nntnam great post about maintenance above.

I agree with every single thing you said.

Everyone is looking for the "secret" to a great tank. It's mostly just working harder at it.
I agree. I always tried to find ways to reduce algae through magic bullets but then started focusing on plants and more detailed maintenance and have already seen very good results. "Focus on plant health" was the greatest advice for me!

Omid
Greggz and zivvel like this.
post #72 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 05:39 PM
ED3
Algae Grower

Your tank is absolutely gorgeous, well done!
nntnam likes this.

Current Setups:

-20H Saltwater Reef with 2 perc. clownfish (corals coming soon)

-10 gallon shallow freshwater pond with 5 "Triple Red" Apistogramma cacatuoides, 4 Panda cory cats, 1 clown pleco. 1 big snail and a mess of plants.

-5 gallon cube cycling with a half-moon betta and male "Triple Red" Apistogramma cacatuoides

In real life I brew beer and mess around with yeast and hop genetics
post #73 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, ED3!

Tank update 2020-11-12

Tank looks nice today. All the groups are near their optimal height except the rugosa. Could be a little bit taller.
I wish it looked this nice a month ago

Hendy8888, Greggz, zivvel and 5 others like this.

post #74 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 08:38 AM
Planted Member

You ever run in to problems with plant trimmings getting caught in your planted walls? Mine always end up looking like a mixed salad and it drives me nuts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

post #75 of 96 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
You ever run in to problems with plant trimmings getting caught in your planted walls? Mine always end up looking like a mixed salad and it drives me nuts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I have the same problem too. Just have to manually remove the trimmings.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode