4Likes
  • 3 Post By butchblack
  • 1 Post By butchblack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
40 Breeder build.

The 40 breeder project is coming along. The tank is about 3/4 cycled. I added some java moss to the bottom of the spiderwood and put the light on a timer for a few hours a day. Unlike my other tanks, this one is going to be sparsely planted. I'm thinking some rosette swords and dwarf sag and a tiger lotus in the circle of stones. Maybe some anubias or buce in the stones on the left. I'll update as I add plants. Here's the first picture,

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The cycle has completed, my nitrites have gone down to zero. I did a water change to bring down the nitrates. I've ordered a few plants and just placed my first stocking order. I ordered six orange Venezuelan corys, half of the twelve that I want, figuring that I don't want to overtax the BB. So the plan is once the first six are in and acclimated I'll order the second six. AA is out of the red whiptail cats that I want, so I'll add them when they get some more in. I'm still up in the air about adding a mid/top schooling fish or keeping it a catfish tank. A third possibility is moving my odd man out angelfish if the other two in the 75g decide to breed. Although I'm also toying with setting up a 29g specifically for the breeding pair.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I added a piece of cholla wood with some java moss on it

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good news. I just got a notification that my first fish order is ready to ship, so I should have them tomorrow (Wednesday). I decided to go with a catfish tank, although I still might add a non-catfish later. The next photos will be with fish in the tank. Also, my Beamswork DA FSPEC should be in Thursday. Now I just have to wait on my small plant order to ship and I'll be set.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just got the notification that my plants are ready to ship, so by Friday I should have the 40B up, planted, and the first wave of fish in

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

A crazy couple of days. My sponge filter adapter finally came in on Tuesday, nice product. My first wave of corries were supposed to arrive Wednesday. UPS said that it was delivered, but no fish. UPS's customer service is beyond horrible. I had to get in touch with the seller to have them find out what happened. It turns out that my computer put my old address for shipping and I didn't catch it. Luckily it shipped to my old address 4 blocks away. It was there but at this point over 24 hours in transit. Got them home, one floater, but they ship an extra fish for that reason, so I'm good. A +1 for the customer service at Aquarium Arts. Besides doing the work to find out what happened to the package, after they determined that it was shipped to the wrong address, they still were willing to honor their guarantee and ship a new set to me. Luckily, it's not necessary, but it's nice to know there are vendors that still believe in taking care of their customers. My plants from Aquarium Plants arrived, as usual in great shape and good roots. So I spent most of my afternoon working on the 40B.

My Beamsworks DA FSPEC light also came in. So far, very impressed. It's quite powerful, I like the color rendering better than the Vivagrow 24/7 that I have on my 75g. An interesting phenomenon, while I think the Beamsworks light is more pleasing than the Nicrew classic G2 it's replacing, when I went to photograph the tank, the Nicrew was a more neutral light. I may have to do a thread in lighting on CRI versus visual assessment in lighting. The difference is small and easily correctable. Since I watch my tanks more than photograph them I'm happy with the tradeoff.

A couple of pictures.

Before plants

Planted

I think I'm going to like this new tank.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looking good. That Fluval internal filter is super quiet isn't it? That's one of the first that I started out with.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Looking good. That Fluval internal filter is super quiet isn't it? That's one of the first that I started out with.
I really like the Fluval. That combined with an Eheim 2215 will be plenty of filtration for me. I was turned onto a nifty product, the filter-max III pre-filter, which you can see on the left side of the tank. I might get one and another Fluval for my 75g and relegate the Magnum polishing filter to backup/ occasional polishing duties. I'm trying an experiment with the Fluval. I'm using the middle flow outlet, so the air venturi on top doesn't work. I hooked it up to an air pump and set it to put out about 3 bubbles per second, enough to add surface agitation without drastically increasing flow. It's still fairly calm.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 02:20 PM
Algae Grower

I like the scape so far. I was eyeing those skulls but they were too big for my setup.

I had a Fluval U2 in my 10g and abandoned it. The intake only pulls through a small fraction of the sponges and it was clogging within days. I'm glad you have the Eheim as a main filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update

I have the tank stocked 12 Orange Venezuelan Corys and 3 Red Lizard whiptail cats. I will most likely add some mid-top swimming fish, I broke down my 20L and added the swordtails to my 75g and really like the added action, so I want to do something similar with this. The plants are doing nicely, you can see the growth, especially in the Tiger Lotus.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 02:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Plants are looking super lush! Letís see some close ups of those cories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Plants are looking super lush! Letís see some close ups of those cories!

It may take a couple of weeks they still hide when I get near the tank.

Here's a couple from my 75g.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 09:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
It may take a couple of weeks they still hide when I get near the tank.

Here's a couple from my 75g.

How many do you have in the tank again? Might be worth getting a bigger group to give the confidence to swim freely and not be skittish.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
How many do you have in the tank again? Might be worth getting a bigger group to give the confidence to swim freely and not be skittish.

I have 12 corys and 3 whiptails in the tank, so I think that I have enough that they are not Jonesing for more of their own.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update

The tank's been planted for a month now, and the plants are doing well. Here's a timeline;

Aug 13

Aug 29

Sep 12

I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly the Tiger Lotus is growing. Same with the tallish plant next to the tiki. Does anyone know what it is? I transplanted it from my 20L before I broke it down.
irishspy likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode