200L Work Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Farmer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
200L Work Tank

I had this tank sitting around with nowhere to put it until I was at work one day and thought I could stop myself putting junk on this bench as well as make it look a sight nicer if I set my tank up there. Itís a 4-foot tank thatís pretty old. It has scratched glass, and the stand has seen better days, but it just fits on the bench, so Iím going to give it a go.

I donít want to be heating this one, so itís a cold water setup. I find trying to research plants and fish for Ďcold waterí is frustrating. One reason is what many people call cold water is room temperature of a house with air conditioning (around 20C). In winter, my shop can get to 10C some nights (even some days). Looking at the lists of Ďcold water fishí, one can find a fair range, but when you look further, a lot of these fish arenít comfortable under 20C. Being in Australia, a few more species were of the list because they arenít allowed in. I have another cold setup with White Clouds, so I didnít want them. Again with plants, itís tough to find information about people planting cold water tanks. I wanted a dense planting.

I visited a lot of aquarium shops looking for things, again without much luck. I found a place that does mainly pond plants. They had a section with plenty of plants that were suitable for aquarium planting. They also had a sound system of classifying them into suitable conditions. About the same time, I came across some empire gudgeons in an LFS. I had never seen them for sale before. They are pretty widespread down the east coast of Australia, not quite as far south as Melbourne, but they occupied rivers I knew were cold. Given I had found these beauties, I decided to go with all native plants too. I selected quite a few that were cold hardy and Australian native.

The next week I also came across some red-fin zebra danios. I had never seen them before either, and I loved them. So I decided to get them too. They are definitely not native Australians, but whatever. Iím glad I did, though. They are lively and never stop swimming. A massive contrast to the gudgeons. I mean, they have personality, but they are a fair bit more timid. Before I put the danios in, the gudgeons were rarely seen swimming about. Now, they are out in the open a bit more.

I found a piece of wood that was pretty well perfect for the tank, so I went and boiled it to speed up the process of waterlogging. I found some excellent clay soil at a farm dam that was being excavated, and so I mixed that with some sand and peat moss for my growing medium. I poked some old rusty nails under the clay that I meant to put in first. If I did it again, Iíd probably add some marble chips too. I put two wifi controllable, LED floodlights in, set up my filter and filled the thing.

Later, I got some valisineria, Limnophila sessiliflora, and elodea because they were readily available and put them in. I figured I could always get rid of the elodea and ambula later if I wanted to stick with Australian species. I ordered the other plants, but with COVID etc. I didnít get them for a while, so Iím glad I got some plants.

You can see the water was cloudy to start. That was just the clay I disturbed filling the tank. Also, it's quite yellow. That's just tannins from the log. I like it that way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New plants arrived and I got them planted. I also decided I wanted better spread on the lighting so I got a third light. I also decided I needed a heater. None of my fish need it, but they were all used to a sunny 24C in the local shops so I thought it would be too risky dropping by more than 10C in one hit. So I set it at 20C to start.

With all the parameters looking good, it was finally time to add my fish. They looked terrible when I got them. They had a bit of a shock being caught in the shop.

After a few days settling down, they got their markings back. I hope they will get some colour soon with good food and a more natural environment.

Here is one. He's in full breeding colours, so I'm not expecting them to be that colourful all the time, but some would be nice.

schooldazed likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode