24G long Iwagumi-inspired with dragon rock - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
24G long Iwagumi-inspired with dragon rock

Hey peeps,

Time for a rescape and a second iteration of this tank. First installation was a nature composition, found here (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11305833) but needed a replant of the carpet and figured it's more fun to do a whole new scape.

Since I already had live fauna the rescape had to be done in one go. I was anxious to get started so did this on Tuesday, starting at 7 in the evening and didn't finish until 4 in the morning... Not the smartest move, figured I'd be up till midnight but took a bit longer anticipated and I wanted to get the scape 'right'. Was worth it in the end though! The aquarium itch is back and I'm so excited to see this in a few months time.

Happy to receive any input to improve scape, trying to achieve a serene and organic look as a happy amateur. Some of the background plants will be removed once the Cuba starts spreading, probably add some more Bucephelandra and possibly Blyxa Japonica as well.

11kg/22pounds of rock
JBL substrate & soil
Tank is 120x40x30cm
Eheim classic filter & skimmer
Inline heater
CO2Art sodastream system
2x Fluval nano LED lights.

Brushing off some excess dirt and glueing some pieces together.

Had an idea of roughly where to place the stones & carpet, used JBL soil and nutritios sand.

As I was an idiot and accidentally deleted the different layouts I tried, here's the final result (not entirely clear yet)

Quite sparse with Cuba stems, it was only as much as I could recover from old setup. Might go to the store and buy some more just for a quicker growth.

Bucephelandra 'Wavy leaf'. Think Buce is one of the most beautiful plants so will definitely add some more.

Any good recommendations for fertilisers? Used Tropica's green so far, not sure if it's ideal. If anyone's got good experience or useful links on what nutrients to target and desirabel levels I'm happy to receive that.

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inspired by nature

Last edited by Hujeta; 07-30-2020 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Nice job, looks pretty good for what was basically an overnight scape, haha! I'm a fan of buce as well, really cool plants with crazy variety. But I think that HC is gonna take ages to grow in, so I'd agree that if you can, pick up some more to add to it, or perhaps some other carpet plant as well.

Not sure how much feedback you want, but you may consider having the rocks on the same side point in the same direction? Particularly the left side looks a little disjointed having that second largest stone pointing left while the largest points to the center. The right island looks much better IMO because the largest features are oriented together with just a little one poking out in the other direction. So you may try to model the left side similarly. Other thing I notice is at least for me, my eye is immediately drawn to the big green clump of buce in the center of the largest rock. It may look more natural to have those big ones closer to the base of the rock and smaller ones up top. So maybe swap that if it's easy to do. Otherwise I'm sure things will grow in with time and it'll be fine. And depending on how refined you want your islands to be, you may want to consolidate plants to the respective islands. Another good option is to use smaller rocks to blend the line between the sand and the planting substrate. Some do the entire sand/substrate line in rocks, but I don't know if you'd have all that available, so even a few little rocks placed along the dividing line could help blend things together nicely.

For ferts, I've heard good things about Tropica, but I've not used them myself. I think if you follow their guidelines and are good about your water changes, it's probably fairly fool-proof. That of course is assuming your other growth parameters are good like lighting, circulation, and CO2.

But yeah, nice job and I think it'll look nice grown in!

Latest tank setup July 2020

Torn down:
-
-
-
-
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 01:48 PM
Algae Grower

Hi, I love this tank. For ferts, I have been using the Nilocg NPK+M and have had some great results with it. I don't have a lot of time for mixing and such so this has been pretty easy. I purchased the bottles back in april I believe and have been dosing my 29 religiously and still have plenty left. Just a thought.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Algae Grower

Super pieces of dragon stones, can you add more? Agree the tank is looking bit sparse.

Otherwise would group the arrangement of all the rocks at the 2/3 point and leave the left of the tank as open area.

Also what’s separating the soil from the sand areas? I have had a tough time keeping the soil out of the sand esp when we have snails and shrimps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode