Roy's 30 Gallon Red Spot Green Discus F1 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Really a nice group of fish. Whoever grew them out to this stage did a great job.
Hi @Discusluv,

I agree, they have good fin size and shape, good fin deportment, bodies are well rounded - all signs they were not overcrowded and well fed as they were raised.
butchblack likes this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Roy, you mentioned dropping the PAR on your light then ramping it up over the next several days. Reason?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @butchblack,

Good question. The fish were raised in a fishroom that was not brightly light and the rearing tank had no substrate. The fish are not accustomed to bright lights and with the white substrate the tank seems even brighter. I wanted to make it as easy as possible for the fish acclimate to the tank and start eating. I started raising the PAR today (to [email protected]) and will continue to ramp up unless the fish show distress.
Discusluv and evil8 like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

Well the discus have settled in for a week now and so far no surprises or issues. My only concern is that these guys may eat me out of house and home!

jmrfw and Discusluv like this.

Roy_________

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

Here is what has been happening in the tank since I added the discus.

2020/08/11

This last week I increased the PAR from [email protected] to [email protected] on Tuesday and then on Saturday I increased it from [email protected] to [email protected] (all measured at the substrate level).
I did a 50% water change yesterday making sure to match within 5 degrees the new water with the tank water. I added 3/8 tsp CaSO4 (3 ppm Ca / 0.4 dGH); 3/16 tsp MgSO4 (1.04 ppm Mg / 0.25 dGH); 3/16 tsp K2SO4 (7.5 ppm K)

The water parameters today are:
pH = 7,2
dKH = 2.0
dGH = 4.0
NH3 = 0.25 ppm
NO2 = 0.25 ppm
NO3 = 10 ppm

The ammonia level remains stable and I attribute the not before seen levels of nitrite and nitrates to the addition of the discus and the large amounts of food they consume. I will likely do a second water change on Friday and check the water parameters again.

Here is an overall view of the 30 gallon

The Trident Java Fern (Microsporum pteropus 'Trident') is doing well and looking good. The Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko' has put out more leaves in the last couple of weeks than it did in the previous 3 months, I think the substrate feeding is having a positive effect.

Here is an overall view of the center of the tank. The Eriocaulon sp 'Vietnam' is growing although slowly with no signs of algae on the leaves. In fact, I haven't seen any algae whatsoever on the glass or plants since they were planted.

Here is a shot of some of the plants I am experimenting with along the back glass. These all come from my emersed plant bank and were planted July 30th so they have been in place about 11 days. This picture shows the Myriophyllum 'Mini' and the Bacopa colorata. Note the top leaves are noticeably larger on the 'Mini' compared with the lower leaves that were grown emersed. The same is true of the B. colorata but it is difficult to see in the picture. Also notice the top leaves are starting to show some pinkish coloration.

The Limnophila rugosa has put out several new leaves and is starting to look 'bushy'. The Ludwigia sp 'Red' has gone crazy (arrow) it must have 10 new nodes and the new submerged leaves are 5X the size of the emersed leaves. The leaves are green likely due to the low PAR level I have been using but the stems are growing toward the top and with the higher PAR I would expect to start seeing some normal color.
butchblack likes this.

Roy_________

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 08-18-2020 at 02:25 AM. Reason: added date
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 10:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

Time for another weekly installment!

2020/08/13

Today I did a 6 gallon water change on the tank.

2020/08/16

I took ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings again today, they were:
NH3 = 0.25 ppm
NO2 = 0.00 ppm
NO3 = 10 - 20 ppm

2020/08/17

Today is water change day. I changed 50% of the water in the tank (approximately 12 gallons) and did a light vacuum of the substrate in the front to remove detritus and the top layer of sand was looking a little dingy. I added 3/8 tsp of CaSO4 for 3 ppm of calcium, 3/16 tsp of MgSO4 for 1.0 ppm of Mg, and 3/16 tsp of K2SO4 for 7.5 ppm of potassium. I also added 15 ml of Excel/glutaraldehyde for carbon molecules. The fish all ate well about an hour afterwards on San Francisco Bay Brand freeze dried tubifex worms (FDTW). I took some pictures of the tank as well, here they are:

The full view

The C. wendtii 'Green Gecko' added another leaf this week. The 'Trident' is doing well

The Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum' is not doing well, the leaves are small and not well formed and the growth has slowed. On the other hand the Myriophyllum sp. 'Guyana' continues to grow well with about 4 nodes (1") of new leaves.

Another shot of the Red Spot Green Discus (RSGD), they are almost always schooling

Not much noteworthy on the rest of the plants other than the three small sprigs of Ludwigia arcuata are showing new submerged growth and the Limnophila rugosa is branching at the bottom.

Lastly, the Ludwigia sp. 'Red' continues to grow quickly, however [email protected] at the substrate and [email protected] at the tip of the tall stem is not yet creating red coloration, however the stem is starting to branch.

Roy_________

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

2020-08-21

Today I did a six (6) gallon water change. The tank has a water volume of 24 gallons so 25%. Here are the water parameters after the water change:
pH = 6.8
dKH = 2.0
dGH = 3.0
NH3 = 0.0 ppm
NO2 = 0.0 ppm
NO3 = 5.0 ppm

I did a light gravel vac in the front again, added 3/8 tsp of CaSO4 for 3 ppm of calcium, 3/8 tsp of MgSO4 for 2.0 ppm of Mg, and 3/16 tsp of K2SO4 for 7.5 ppm of potassium. Why did I dose those nutrients? I noticed the deformed new leaves of the Bacopa colorata which is likely insufficient calcium. I also noticed the necrosis occurring in the older leaves of the Eriocaulon 'Vietnam; likely insufficient potassium or magnesium. Lastly the Limnophila rugosa was showing interveinal chlorosis on the older leaves indicating insufficient magnesium and the older leaves of the Bacopa colorata have their leaf margins curling (under in this case) also indicating a need for more magnesium.

Eriocaulon 'Vietnam' showing necrosis of older leaves

Bacopa colorata showing #1 deformed new leaves emerging and #2 curled under leaf margins

Limnophila rugosa showing interveinal chlorosis (dark leaf veins with lighter areas in between (sorry a little blurry)
Discusluv likes this.

Roy_________

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

2020-08-24

Monday and today is water change day for all my tanks! I have also been doing water changes on Thursday or Fridays as well however based on input on another forum I will likely increase the frequency. Today the tank got a little over 50% water change.

This last week the fish seem more acclimated. They are no longer staying in a tight school most of the time as they were the first week or so. Instead they are exploring and foraging more individually. All the discus are eating well (and continuously) and I've upped my food budget for the hobby.

I have received a lot of feedback on the forums where I have been posting this thread that "you can't raise discus in a planted tank" or "you can't keep discus in a planted tank, when you see pictures of discus in planted tanks they are only there for the photo and then returned to a bare tank". I honestly don't know if those individuals are sharing information based their own personal experiences or if just repeating something they have heard or read. In either case I propose to continue with this set-up unless the fish show signs of distress and/or I have trouble maintaining good water quality. Again, good fish growth and healthy fish are the primary concern....not the plants.

After the water change the water parameters in the tank were:
pH = 7.2
dKH = 2.0
dGH = 3.0
NH3 = 0.0 ppm
NO2 = 0.0 ppm
NO3 = 5.0 ppm

Other than the slight increase in pH which I attribute to the increased volume of the water change the parameters remain the same. After the water change I added 3/8 teaspoon of CaSO4 for 3 ppm of Ca; 3/16 teaspoon of MgSO4 for 1.0 ppm of Mg; and 3/16 teaspoon of K2SO4 for 7.5 ppm of K. I also did my weekly 15 ml of glutaraldehyde / Excel.

It's been almost exactly a month since I first added plants to the tanks and some are showing a strong ability to adapt to the low nutrient environment and some are not. Here are some pictures I took today.

Here is the obligatory full tank shot

The 'Trident' java fern and Cryptocoryne 'Green Gecko' are doing fine

The Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum' (left rear) is not liking the conditions; the Eriocaulon 'Vietnam' are just sitting there

The Myriophyllum sp. 'Guyana' is doing fine with a couple of inches of new growth; I'm unsure if the Bacopa colorata will adapt or not; and the small Eleocharis (hairgrass) plants are starting to put out runners

The Oldenlandia salzmannii is adapting well (left), as are the few sprigs of Ludwigia arcuata however the Limnophila rugosa is not doing much

The Ludwigia sp 'Red' is growing very well but not much color with [email protected]
reddhawkk, Econde and gjcarew like this.

Roy_________

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

2020-08-25
Added 4.5 ml of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive

2020-08-26
Based upon recommendations from folks on the forums I have upped my water changes. I will be doing three a week on this 30 gallon tank (24 gallon water volume) with 12 gallons done on Monday, 9 gallons done on Wednesday, and 9 gallons done on Friday. This will be the equivalent of 1.33 complete water changes per week. I did a 9 gallon water change today, did a light vac of the substrate in the front, noticed some green spot algae (GSA) along the front glass just below the substrate line and cleaned that up. Magic Erasers (aka melamine foam) are great glass cleaners (be sure to get the ones with no detergent etc).

After the water change I added 3/4 tsp of CaSO4*2H2O for 6 ppm of Ca (hardness increase approx 0.8 dGH); 3/8 tsp of MgSO4*7H2O for 2.1 ppm of Mg (harness increase 0.5 dGH); 3/8 tsp of K2SO4 for 11.8 ppm of K; and 3/64 tsp of KH2PO4 for 2.0 ppm of P to hopefully reduce the GSA. I also added 4.5 ml of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive.

2020-08-29
I did a 9 gallon water change (approx 33%+) today. Also picked up some live adult brine shrimp to give them a little treat. Here they are 1/2 hour after feeding still looking for any BS they may have missed.

Also here is a picture of the big brothers and sisters of the fry I have, notice how the nice coloration is starting to emerge.
[I
Hyzer, reddhawkk and Econde like this.

Roy_________

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 08-29-2020 at 11:02 PM. Reason: ..
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 11:35 PM
Planted Member

Was there anything in the tank that made you think you need to increase the water changes or is it just best practice with discus?

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Was there anything in the tank that made you think you need to increase the water changes or is it just best practice with discus?
Hi @gjcarew,

Folks on the forums have stated that discus give off 'hormones' that, if they become concentrated, can if the hormone becomes concentrated it can inhibit the growth of the juvies. I asked the breeder about juvies giving off 'hormones' affecting growth and he stated that it is an 'old wives tale' and there is no documented substantiation for the belief. He advised he did two water changes per week for a total of about an 80% water change on a weekly basis. Although testing shows there is no ammonia or nitrites present and only 5 ppm of nitrates I have decided to err on the side of caution and increase my water changes.
gjcarew likes this.

Roy_________

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi All,

2020-08-31
Today (Monday) I did a 12 gallon water change (50%) and added 3/8 tsp of CaSO4 for 2.98 ppm of Ca (hardness increase approx 0.42 dGH); 3/16 tsp of MgSO4*7H2O for 1.04 ppm of Mg (hardness increase 0.24 dGH); 3/16 tsp of K2SO4 for 5.93 ppm of K. I also added 15 ml of Excel/glut for algae prevention. All fish are active and eating well. They have finished off the three (3) portions of live adult brine shrimp I bought on Saturday with some help from the Turquoise Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris) that I am conditioning to breed. I try to feed at least one portion of dry food (FD tubifex, Krill flakes, Extreme pellets) and one portion of frozen or live food per day. I have a white worm (Enchytraeus albidus) culture that is not quite ready to harvest yet but I will add them to the food rotation in the future.

2020-09-01
Dosed 4.5 ml of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive for plant micro-nutrients and 3/64 tsp KH2PO4 (2.0 ppm of PO4; 0.66 ppm P; 0.8 ppm K) for GSA

2020-09-03
Today (Thursday) I did a 9 gallon water change (37%), added + 3/4 tsp CaSO4 (6 ppm Ca / 0.8 dGH); 3/8 tsp MgSO4 (2.08 ppm Mg / 0.48 dGH); 3/8 tsp K2SO4 (11.83 ppm K); 3/64 tsp KH2PO4 (2.0 ppm of PO4; 0.66 ppm P; 0.8 ppm K) for GSA. I did a light gravel vac in the front of the tank and siphoned any detritus on the rest of the substrate. It was time to clean the canister filter so I rinsed all the bio-balls and Purigen in tank water as well as one of the two sponges in the filter. The other sponge got thoroughly cleaned in tap water. I replaced the filter floss and started the filter. Here are some pictures I took today.

The full tank shot

Time to rethink some of the plant species. The Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum'. Limnophila rugosa, and the Erio 'Vietnam' don't seem to like the conditions necessary for the discus. I will have to try some different species. On the other had the Myriophyllum sp. 'Guyana', Oldenlandia salzmannii, Ludwigia arcuata, and Ludwigia sp 'Red' seem to be doing well. I have a couple of other species I want to try maybe I can do some changes this weekend.

Ordinary Joe likes this.

Roy_________

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Good morning Roy. Your discus, and tank are looking very nice.
I like your comment on finding what plants work well with the discus. Seems similar to many of the rest of us finding what plants work well with the soup we serve (tap water or fert levels, or both).
Maybe some day I will give discus a try - for now I guess I will stick with my rainbow fish.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @Immortal1,

Seems like a lot of time has gone by since the International AGA Convention in spring of 2019; I enjoyed meeting you and your wife. I started thinking about what plant species might work well in with the discus considering the soft water we have here in Seattle as well as the low nutrient levels in the water column. I think I am going to try some of the Rotala species next. Why? I reviewed again the presentation by Vin Kutty and the 'Rotala Kill Tank' and how water column dosing appeared to adversely effect plant species in the family Lythraceae such as Rotala, Nesaea, Ammania, and Cuphea. I have some Rotala H'ra (aka 'Vietnam') in another tank I will take some cuttings from and see how they do.

I also dropped the PAR level in the tank yesterday (Saturday) from [email protected] to [email protected] because I believe the amount of light is excessive based upon the amount of available nutrients. We'll see what they look like in a couple of weeks.

Roy_________

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode