Quag's 10 Gallon Standard - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tore out the dirt, gave the tank and filter a full clean, 100% water change, thinned out plant mass and set everything back up with 100% coal slag.

Crypt flamingo went from stunting into some sort of reproductive stage, I ended up with 60+ plantlets from my grouping of 10-15 stunted plants.

RO remineralized to:

25ppm Ca
12.5ppm Mg
1.0 dKH

Daily dose of Ca gluconate and CaCl2 (still need to work the math out for ppm / day of Ca and Cl)

CSM+B EI level 3 x per week.

Front loading Macros along the lines of EI.

This is just temporary while I work on getting that 55 gallon tank all sorted out.

Greggz, Econde, Grobbins48 and 1 others like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-03-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Stocking up on plants as they become available.

Canada post dropped the ball on the last shipment,

Freezing temps, 4" of snow and 8 days in shipping had most of the new species in rough shape.

Pics to come later today after they've had a full day under the light and CO2 to straighten out to the light / show life or death.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like all but 1 species is showing signs of life:

Ludwigia arcuata - Dead as can be: looked like someone bagged up nasty swamp water for me, certainly smelt like it.

As for the others showing slight signs of life:

Cabomba piauhyensis - Very similar to Cabomba furcata.
Myriophyllum tuberculatum - Kept it before, but I'm fairly confident it was a different species as these stems are already showing more red coloration.
Lagenandra meeboldii 'Red' - Leaves were fairly dried out when I finally dunked them into the tank, I left them in the mineral wool / plastic pot for now, no signs of any melt.
Lindernia rotundifolia - Never kept it before. It's all emersed growth.
Rotala spec. Pearl - Never even heard of it before. It's all emersed growth.
Greggz likes this.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Making progress on the 55 gallon:

Greggz, Econde and Grobbins48 like this.

post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice! See you are going with the LED + T5HO combo again. Should provide some nice color.

Tank looks algae free so far!
Quagulator, Econde and Grobbins48 like this.

---
---
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Nice! See you are going with the LED + T5HO combo again. Should provide some nice color.

Tank looks algae free so far!
Had to take advantage of the nice weather this week! Scrubbed the tank out on the back patio, rinsed out 20 lbs or so of black sand, cleaned the lights up and gave the reflectors a nice polish.

The LED is a 48" Fluval 2.0 that I bought used off a hobby friend - we know each other by face, not by name and we buy / sell / swap things together all the time and see each other at local auctions - really knowledgably guy, used to import snails / shrimp / fish and breed them, plants and general aquarium goods until his wife had enough of strangers coming over to buy / look at things LOL

The T5 is a 48" 2 x 54 watt Current USA from an old reef tank my old man bought years and years ago. He has since switched to black box LED's and gave me this light for free. The bulbs are 2 x FlorSun from Zoomed - They are caked with hardwater buildup so I will replace them.

I am planning another 1 or 2 T5's, for the front of the tank, SunBlaster or maybe I can grab a used 48" double bulb fixture online or something, add some blues or reds and play around, I want the fish to look just as good as the plants with this tank.

If all else fails I can take off the LED and fully go T5, but I liked the colours I was getting last time with the combo, so I'll try it out again.
Greggz, Econde, Grobbins48 and 1 others like this.

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

2 shipments of plants in + me changing up micros and macros all at once = algae took a strong hold 2 weeks or so ago.

Things are shaping up this past week however. I was just going to let the tank settle out and ride the algae wave, usually I let things ride out and the algae takes a back seat, but this time it kept growing and growing...

Only 3 days of dosing Excel at the "after water change" rate 1 x daily and all the thread algae has gone red / white and dying, no staghorn to be seen, just some old and new GDA to deal with (usually I'm stuck with GDA unless I trim off infected plant tissue).

Don't mind the floating debris in the photos, I just performed a large water change and stirred up some of the old frozen plants that turned to mush (removed as much as I could).

Greggz, Econde and Asteroid like this.

post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yikes! That is some impressive algae!!

You should warn people before they open that up!!

I will say that is some of the best algae photography I have seen. You really captured the essence!
ipkiss, Quagulator, Econde and 1 others like this.

---
---
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

I will say that is some of the best algae photography I have seen. You really captured the essence!
They weren't kidding about the new Iphone 12's camera

It's a wonderful sight to see it all go red / white in a matter of days with only a mild daily dose of Excel, I must have been growing a very susceptible variety of hair algae.

I'm hoping I can leave things as is now... daily micros and Excel again, consistent macros, consistent CO2 and weekly water changes. Fingers crossed the plants will perk up and I'll have to keep a sharp set of scissors around until I get that 55 all set up and running.

Current specs in case anyone is wondering:

Ludwiga ovalis
Ludwigia palustris
Macrandra
Wallichii
Mermaid Weed
Didiplis diandra
Java fern 'windelov'
Anubias nana 'petite'
Crypt flamingo
Crypt lutea 'hobbit'
Blyxa japonica
Red cabomba (piauhyensis)
Myrio tuberculatum
Mayaca fluviatilis
Rotala spec 'Pearl' ???? (1 teeny tiny stem lived from my frozen shipment, it's BARELY hanging on)
Lagenandra meeboldii 'Red'
Lindernia rotundifolia (variegated)

Estimated 1.0 drop in pH - pH probe loses calibration over night (setting up another Drop Checker as soon I have time to confirm)
2 x 23 watt 6500K CFL in a DIY hood + 32 feet of LED tape lighting - PAR = ???? 60-70 I would guess... 7 hours / day.

Weekly 60-70% water change:

1.0 dKH
25ppm Ca
10ppm Mg

NPK - incoming water @ 20-15-39 roughly, TDS ~180ppm.

Custom micros daily @ 0.5ppm Fe / week.

Excel @ high rate daily.

Inert coal slag, no tabs (I might make some up and do some experimenting with the crypts)

No livestock (might get a shrimp colony started shortly once I can get the plants going again)

Eheim 2213 with an Ista inline turbo reactor.
Greggz and Econde like this.

Last edited by Quagulator; 11-26-2020 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Edit
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-30-2020, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Shrimp ordered. I used FedEx Overnight just in case... and I'm having it shipped to my folks place so there is someone home to receive it, I drive past their house on my way home from the office everyday so I can grab them.

I went with some higher grade Blue diamond shrimp, not a super stable strain but I'm okay with culling if I have to. I figured I should get a colony going in the 10 gallon as I begin to set the 55 up and get it thriving.

Also ordered an Aflame Sword (Echinodorus Aflame) tissue culture cup that I'll hopefully get 1 or 2 to live long term, really cool looking smaller sword plant according to google. And grabbed some Ludwigia repens 'rubin' to try out (never kept the 'rubin' version of L. repens).

Couple photos (not scaped at all, just a holding tank basically with decent PAR but not nice on the eyes / very washed out colour):

FTS:

Red Cabomba and Myrio just barely hanging on from a frozen shipment:

Crypt flamingo starting to bounce back with new growth (algae is almost gone):

Ludwigia ovalis just starting to colour up:

Greggz, Econde and Scully like this.

post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Piece my piece I'm getting somewhere...

Ordered 10 with overnight shipping, was sent 9 with 2+ days in transit... But, the quality of these shrimp are fantastic and the packaging was the best I've ever seen. Healthy mix of males / females. 2 more plant species as well, Ludwigia repens 'Rubin' was in fantastic shape and the TC cup of Aflame swords is in great shape as well, easily the best quality plants I've ordered in recent memory.

Here they are drip acclimating (4 hours total). Funny thing was the water in the bag and my tankwater was only off 6ppm, but I wanted to drip acclimate just in case. I'm going to assume the bag water had higher KH and less ferts...

CO2 has been off for 2 days, no lights on either (otherwise I would grab photo's of them in the light). I'm home all tonight so I'll turn on the CO2 at a slightly reduced rate and watch carefully., adjust up over the next week or so.

I won a photo of the month contest on another forum and received a gift card, so I ordered a new NO3 test, I'm curious to where this tank is sitting. Went with API liquid drops strictly because of availability and I only ever use it for ballpark referencing anyway. Salifert would have been nicer... one day I guess.

Greggz, Grobbins48 and Asteroid like this.

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

C'mon let's see the photo of month winner!!

---
---
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-03-2020, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
C'mon let's see the photo of month winner!!
Here you go Was an older photo of my 25 gallon in a "aquarium of the month" contest. Most likes / reactions take it.

A 90 gallon low tech tank of mine in the past won that same contest, see photo below as well.

Greggz, rzn7z7, Econde and 4 others like this.

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-11-2020, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I was home from work early yesterday and happened to stumble onto the source of my (now controlled) algae issues, a couple hours worth of direct sunlight:

Couple shots of some shrimp, I've only lost 1 that I could count:

Greggz, ipkiss, Grobbins48 and 1 others like this.

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-12-2020, 08:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
But what an awesome sunlit shot though!

Plus, free high par light! Should time your light cycle to peak with it.
Quagulator likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode