Benji's 20 Gallon Long- UPDATE 8/31/20 - VIDEO - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cool Benji's 20 Gallon Long- UPDATE 8/31/20 - VIDEO

Hey everyone, did y'all miss me?

It's been (checks phone) over 6 years since I last had a tank, and I think it's time for me to return. Aquascaping is soothing to me and I have nothing better to do in quarantine (well besides taking too many classes).

So here's my setup so far:

Tank: Derimmed 20 long
Filtration: Fluval 307, Seachem Matrix and Purigen
CO2: FZONE Mini Dual gauge, Inline CO2 diffuser
Light: ATLEDTIS Cookie+
Substrate: Amazonia with lava rocks and Bacter 100
Extras: Twinstar M5, Air pump
Plants (Planned): Mini Bolbitis, H. Pinnatifida, Trident Java Fern, Hydrocoytle Tripartita, Fissidens, Rotala Hra and Rotundifolia, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Monte Carlo, DHG, Lilaeopsis
Hardscape: Malaysian Driftwood

Updated view:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bserve; 09-01-2020 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 09:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Hey everyone, did y'all miss me?

It's been (checks phone) over 6 years since I last had a tank, and I think it's time for me to return. Aquascaping is soothing to me and I have nothing better to do in quarantine (well besides taking too many classes).

So here's my setup so far:

Tank: standard 20 long
Filtration: in-tank mini sump (diagram coming up) or AIO Fiji Cube
CO2: FZONE Mini Dual gauge, Twinstar CO2 diffuser
Light: ATLEDTIS Cookie+
Substrate: Amazonia with lava rocks and Bacter 100, ADA colorado sand
Extras: Twinstar M5
Plants (Planned): Mini Bolbitis, H. Pinnatifida, Trident Java Fern, Hydrocoytle Tripartita, Weeping moss, Fissidens, Rotala (probably a green one, still undecided), maybe A. Reineckii Mini
Setup: Dual island (opposite corners) of large (maybe Malaysian) driftwood and rocks with sand in the middle
Good plan! When will you set it up?

my 20 gallon journal:

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
Good plan! When will you set it up?
Light and regulator are on the way, I'm still deciding on if I'm doing a DIY filter or a premade one... either way, it'll be a box internal filter. Might wait for a Petco $1/gallon sale to get the 20G, so I'll probably just be slowly collecting gear until then.

Here's my current filtration plan, what do yall think?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

De-rimmed and the light came!

doug105! and Sam the Slayer like this.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Currently I have: Tank, Light, Lava rock (for under substrate)
In the mail: FZONE Regulator, inline diffuser, Fluval 307, Seachem Matrix and Purigen, Twinstar M5, Bacter 100
Need to get: CO2 tank, CO2 tubing, Flow valves, Air pump/stone, timers, aquasoil/sand, hardscape, plants

Here's a little mockup I made:

Econde likes this.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got a bunch of stuff, all that's left is getting my filter and CO2 canister in the mail and finding a stand somewhere (any suggestions on that?)

Econde and mourip like this.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 02:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Got a bunch of stuff, all that's left is getting my filter and CO2 canister in the mail and finding a stand somewhere (any suggestions on that?)
Great start. Your wood looks a lot like some I ordered from eBay. If so it is incredibly buoyant. I soaked mine for two weeks and saw no difference.

It was large and I ended up using a 1" x 5" x 10" thick piece of large slate to keep it down in my tank.

I would begin soaking it now.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
Great start. Your wood looks a lot like some I ordered from eBay. If so it is incredibly buoyant. I soaked mine for two weeks and saw no difference.

It was large and I ended up using a 1" x 5" x 10" thick piece of large slate to keep it down in my tank.

I would begin soaking it now.
It's Malaysian Driftwood. It was one giant piece (probably 20-30lbs) but I broke it up.

For now, I think I'm gonna soak it weighted down and see how that goes while the rest of my parts get here.
Econde and mourip like this.

Last edited by Bserve; 07-14-2020 at 05:07 AM. Reason: grammar
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Everything is set up now Monte Carlo, DHG, and Lilaeopsis are coming in the mail, then we'll be all planted.

Original scape and planting:

After a bit of hardscape collapse:

Planting:
-Mini Bolbitis on rocks in the back
-Rotala Rotundifolia/H'Ra in the back
-Hydrocotyle Tripartita in the midde
-Hygrophila Pinnatifida on the wood
-Trident java fern in the lower front wood
-Cryptocoryne wendtii in the shadows
-Fissidens in cracks

Today with the filter up and running, still a bit cloudy!

I'll try to give a clear tank update in a bit

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some eye candy.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 07:11 AM
Algae Grower

I've been trying to decide whether to get a 207 or 307 for my 20 long.
How do you like the flow of the 307 in your tank?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 06:06 PM
Algae Grower

Benji,
Nice to see someone else attempting to de-rim and de-base the 20L aquariums.
I have some threads about de-rimming and drilling them that I referenced in this thread:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...-thoughts.html

I see you left the base on..... I was considering do that... but they came off so quickly.... I'll sit them directly on thick cork.

Peter
learning never stops...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonCurt View Post
I've been trying to decide whether to get a 207 or 307 for my 20 long.
How do you like the flow of the 307 in your tank?
It's pretty high, but all of my plants seem to like it. I need it high because the wood blocks so much flow in the front right corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
Benji,
Nice to see someone else attempting to de-rim and de-base the 20L aquariums.
I have some threads about de-rimming and drilling them that I referenced in this thread:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...-thoughts.html

I see you left the base on..... I was considering do that... but they came off so quickly.... I'll sit them directly on thick cork.
I just left the base on because I was lazy lol. I had no real reason to take it off and deal with the ugly silicone.

Update pictures (foreground plants came and I put on some terrestrial moss):

Last edited by Bserve; 07-28-2020 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Update
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 06:30 AM
Algae Grower

Do you run the 307 full blast, or do you turn the flow down with the aquastop valve?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 12:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:

I just left the base on because I was lazy lol. I had no real reason to take it off and deal with the ugly silicone.
I understand. It's zero fun doing the final silicone cleanup. I did 8 of these tanks, top and bottom, total... imagine??

Peter
learning never stops...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode