Waterbox 3620 rimless build - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love the rocks - my only thought it that you might shift the "V" focal point to the right or left to meet the golden ratio.

Is that Lava rock? It does look like some really cool mountains which should contrast nicely with your frosted background.

-Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbakes View Post
I love the rocks - my only thought it that you might shift the "V" focal point to the right or left to meet the golden ratio.

Is that Lava rock? It does look like some really cool mountains which should contrast nicely with your frosted background.

-Tony
Agreed. Unfortunately they're so large there ain't much moving allowed. The left side is just 2 rocks: a very large vertical one against the glass, and a smaller 8" to 9" rock that fits perfectly next to/behind that. I have a lot more soil to add to the backside of the tank, and hopefully that'll skew (and widen) the V a little. Depending on how it looks at that point, I may be able to move the 2nd to middle right rock up and further left w/ more soil too. Anyway, point is, I'm aware and it's still my main qualm w/ the layout. But it won't happen until I start breaking down my 29g and recoup that soil. Hopefully next week.

Edit: yes, all lava rock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
any updates on this build?

I am playing around with adding a FW planted WB to my collections of reefs

lots of nice DIY here!

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Old tank is mostly cleaned up and I moved the old aqua soil into this one. With the extra soil I was able to make some tweaks to the hardscape too. Still planning to add a bit of wood but that'll be minimal I think. Will then do a final top off with fluval stratum--the aqua soil is noticeably a lighter shade. Everything under the stand is now wired up too so won't be much longer before this thing sees water.

coseal, Tbakes, Econde and 1 others like this.

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 04:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
love the DIY attitude towards this build! everything looks great! how long did you think about the light construction before you began? or did you just walk out into your workshop and start building? i will sometimes build something in my head 3 or 4 different ways and either commit or scrap the idea's all together. but i find it super decompressing to grab a coffee and head downstairs and just start building!

oh! how did the doser test out? and i noticed in some of your stand pics there is a light colored square top right?
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coseal View Post
love the DIY attitude towards this build! everything looks great! how long did you think about the light construction before you began? or did you just walk out into your workshop and start building? i will sometimes build something in my head 3 or 4 different ways and either commit or scrap the idea's all together. but i find it super decompressing to grab a coffee and head downstairs and just start building!

oh! how did the doser test out? and i noticed in some of your stand pics there is a light colored square top right?
Thanks!! It was a bit of both preplanning and just messing around. I'd tooled around w/ a couple ideas over the years, eventually scrapped them b/c they weren't looking right. But I did learn a bit about how to work w/ aluminum in the process. Then after a lot more thinking I attempted a similar light for a 60p tank: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...struction.html (I don't know why, but the pics are all stretched vertically so the light looks a little odd in that thread.) But it came out almost exactly as I wanted it so I then knew I could pull off a larger light for this tank. There was a lot less trial and error the 2nd time around too so this one got whipped up in just a few weekends.

The autodoser MAY work out but I'm still not sure. The solenoids work as I'd hoped and drain right into the bubble counters. But they don't fill at all if I pinch closed the end of the tubing somewhere after the bubble counters to simulate back pressure that would normally be coming from the reactors when everything's running. Also, the bubble counters don't fill up all the way as I figured they would. They just fill to the base of the outlet and flow out from there. That may not matter, but I may need much bigger bubble counters if that's the case as I can see that not being enough ferts at a time. I won't know for sure though until I have the tank full of water and both canister filters running. If it doesn't go well, I may have to come up w/ another idea. Will likely make a separate thread on that and get others advice if that's the case but time will tell.

Can't wait to get this thing filled up!

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, and the little square is just an aluminum plaque w/ the Waterbox logo, same as what's etched in the glass. Came w/ the tank--they didn't include one w/ the 60p I had previously. Don't know if I'll keep it but it's on there for now.

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 01:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Love the revised rock layout - looks great Brohawk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brohawk likes this.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got impatient. Will source some background plants and continue to plant over the coming days. Wood is a bit out of whack in the photo as some are trying to float up.

coseal and Ben Belton like this.

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 11:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
man that wood sets it off! hell it looked great without the wood!
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coseal View Post
man that wood sets it off! hell it looked great without the wood!
Lol, thanks!! Honestly the whole time I was adding the wood, my mind was saying, dude, you're ruining it. It was perfect already. But, after I'd added enough of it I started feeling like, no I THINK this was the right move. Glad to hear someone else's approval too. Honestly.

Tags
ada solar, diy, rimless, waterbox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode