UNS 90L 21 Gallon Sophmore Effort - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
UNS 90L 21 Gallon Sophmore Effort

Hi Team. A quick primer on me. I started my first ever planted tank at the beginning of the year. I learned a lot in 6 months. It started off as an Iwagumi layout but morphed into a test bed of sorts. I lost like 20% of my carpet early on so I kinda abandoned the Iwagumi layout and started to grow whatever I could find locally.

The tank pictured is the UNS 90B. The 35" length is what initially attracted me to this particular size. However, it isn't very wide at 8" which I quickly found out is not ideal in creating an interesting layout where depth is concerned. Then I found the UNS 90L which is the same length but 12" wide instead. Much better!

I also had been eyeballing a certain stand from UNS for months and that's where we start my journal. I hope you guys don't mind all the pics!

Things started off shaky. I had ordered the stand from a company who shall remain nameless, who said it was in stock. This was about 2 months ago. A month went by and still no stand. At this point, I knew it was still on back order because every other company I contacted said so and the virus only delayed things more. Not sure why the company had to lie to me though. Long story short, got my refund and did a pre-order with Buceplant. A week later it arrived.

rwong2k likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As soon as the stand came back in stock so did the tank. Of course, I ordered the tank immediately but when it arrived my worst fear came true.

Uhhhhhhhh

Can't say enough good things about Buceplant though. I sent them the pictures they requested and they handled everything with FedEx and shipped out another tank almost instantly.

Good times!

Dimensions:
Length: 35.43"
Width: 11.81"
Height: 11.81"
Glass thickness: 8mm
Volume: 21 gallons
vijay_06 and AcidGambit like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The light I chose was the Twinstar 900S. It's a really beautiful light. I was pleasantly surprised about the gunmetal accents. From the pictures on the website the same areas appear to be black.

I've also been collecting hardscape during this time. I wanted to go a bit more bold so I looked for very large pieces. Shout out to Aquascaping Supply in Orlando. I'm in Jacksonville Florida but I make an effort to go down there once a month because their hardscape and plant selection is incredible. Its only a 2hr drive. Anyways, here's what I'm thinking for my layout. I'm on the fence about the tallest rock in the 3-rock bunch. I may remove that one but everything else feels good to me.

Please don't be dumb like me and put a shallow layer of substrate down or something to protect the glass. One of the big pieces fell down and my heart literally stopped. I was sure the tank cracked lol...but it didn't. So scary.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 10:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very good! The stand is very very nice and the tank as well, nice choice with the light as well... the hardscape mock up looks great!

my 20 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 8 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 35 gallon journal:
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 02:11 AM
Algae Grower

Great start! I'm really liking the hardscape. I recommend egg crates if your doing mock ups in the tank to protect the glass. it's pretty cheap and can be versatile if you end up wanting to use them to create levels once you add substrate.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 03:09 AM
Algae Grower

Drooling!!! The Natural UNS Stand is so nice and the Twinstar S series will let you grow anything. Make sure you get a programmable dimmer for the light! Oh, wait. You know that already... just realized you also have a twinstar on your 90B. Looking forward to seeing how the scape progresses!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips and kind words everybody!

I am using UNS Controsoil Black Normal granules as my base layer. I plan on topping this with Extra Fine granules before planting.

I think I have a better shot at steep slopes this time because of my hardscape. In my first tank, my slope pretty much collapsed as soon as water hit it.

The right and left rear slopes are comprised of small chunks of lava rock to help the slopes stay put. I apologize, I forgot to take pics of the lava rock.

This is a little experiment. Not sure if I'm keeping it this way yet. I still wanna conquer the full tank carpet and this would take away some real estate if I chose to go with this foreground. I know that I'm going with stems in the background but if I were to go with a complete carpet front to back I think this would probably look cool.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 09:15 PM
Algae Grower

Looking good! Where did you come across the "gravel"? I spent an hour with a masonry chisel and a hammer in the backyard trying to split up some of the seiryu stone I'd bought and hardly had a quarter of what you've got there.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Move faster, please. I need to see this thing planted!

No external links in your signature
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 02:38 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantes View Post
You will never get that filter under the stand.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude View Post
Looking good! Where did you come across the "gravel"? I spent an hour with a masonry chisel and a hammer in the backyard trying to split up some of the seiryu stone I'd bought and hardly had a quarter of what you've got there.
I also tried a chisel and hammer with no significant luck. Buceplant sells rubble, that's where I got mine from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00726 View Post
Move faster, please. I need to see this thing planted!
Incoming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
You will never get that filter under the stand.
hahaha, I would have to agree. Artoo is bigger than you think. I remember building his feet and second guessing the plans. They were ginormous!

Here's a picture of the Extra Fine UNS Controsoil being poured in the front. I made a conscious effort to have a lower profile for the soil line that's viewable from the front. The one thing that bothered me a lot from my old tank was how thick it was and I planted too close to the glass so you could see the roots.

You can see I'm going for a curved soil line. I've seen this done by other people and I always thought it looked great. Before pouring Extra Fine in the background I wet all the soil. I saw this tip from an ADA aquascaping video. Its supposed to help with the slope and so the the Extra Fine will stick and not just roll down. I poured the Extra Fine in the background and everything stayed put. So far so good!

I chose HC Cuba for my carpet plant this go around. I really like the smaller leaves and the challenge it may bring with growing it. I bought 12 pots and it took me about 3 pots in to figure out how to separate it into workable portions. The roots are very delicate. The soil in the foreground is made primarily of Extra Fine soil so I didn't have any issues with them staying down thank God.

A lot of anxiety during this part as you can imagine. lol A few straggler stems came up but that's pretty much it.

And then this is when I realized I did not order nearly enough stem plants. This is Pearl Weed on the left which will be the primary stem plant and then a bunch of Rotala peeking from behind it. At least this is the plan when I get more Pearl Weed.

I will also have Hydrocotyle Tripartita in the midground, hugging the edges of the rocks. I may also try some moss on the rock faces but I need to do more research on that. I've never grown any mosses.

Mike00726, mourip and belka085 like this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A week has gone by since I planted. The growth has been awesome. The HC is starting to crawl horizontally which I've read is a good sign of CO2 levels. The stem plants are bending which I hate. I cut down the green Rotala to see how it reacts before I trim the other stems. I am hoping it will grow straight again. I noticed this behavior in my first tank as well and it eventually straightened out after a trim.

I still haven't received my next shipment of plants so that's a little frustrating. I'm hoping the algae continues to stay away despite my low plant mass.

Here's what's going on underneath the cabinet. I'm really liking the inline CO2 diffuser. I noticed right away that the CO2 was being dispersed much better than in my first tank. I would have to say that the length of this tank has been very challenging to get good flow throughout. Get the biggest filter you can afford if you want to give these long tanks a try. I also have the Twinstar Nano inside the tank and that inadvertently shows me the flow pattern when its on which is pretty cool.

vijay_06 and P.Isley like this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice setup! Looking forward to seeing how this evolves.

Where did you buy those adapters that allow you to control the water flow in inlet and outlet hoses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Hey cool start. Iíve always liked the look of those stands, especially the one you chose.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 05:02 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantes View Post
A week has gone by since I planted. The growth has been awesome. The HC is starting to crawl horizontally which I've read is a good sign of CO2 levels. The stem plants are bending which I hate. I cut down the green Rotala to see how it reacts before I trim the other stems. I am hoping it will grow straight again. I noticed this behavior in my first tank as well and it eventually straightened out after a trim.

I still haven't received my next shipment of plants so that's a little frustrating. I'm hoping the algae continues to stay away despite my low plant mass.

Here's what's going on underneath the cabinet. I'm really liking the inline CO2 diffuser. I noticed right away that the CO2 was being dispersed much better than in my first tank. I would have to say that the length of this tank has been very challenging to get good flow throughout. Get the biggest filter you can afford if you want to give these long tanks a try. I also have the Twinstar Nano inside the tank and that inadvertently shows me the flow pattern when its on which is pretty cool.

Looking good! We have almost the same setup in terms of hardware and tank size.

Forgive me if you already know this but that pearlweed is very easy to spread by trimming and replanting so you probably don't need to buy more pots.

If the rotala has horizontal space to bend over it will do so. It happens with all of them but rotala rotundifolia is particularly bad. The best way to go is just to plant them as densely as possible and trim any long stems so the only space they have to go is up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode