Resurgent RL3 100 Gallon Rainbow Fish Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Resurgent RL3 100 Gallon Rainbow Fish Tank

Hello everyone. I'm starting this journal for my 100 Gallon Rainbow Fish Tank. I've had this tank now for about a year and started injecting CO2 over a month ago. So far the plants have reacted well to it and I am currently testing new plants and seeing how everything grows.

Tank: 100 Gallon (60in Length, 18in Width, 21.5in Height)
Light: 48in Fluval Plant LED 3.0
CO2 Equipment: 10lb CO2 Cylinder, CO2Art PRO-SE Dual Stage Regulator, CO2Art In-Tank Flux CO2 Diffuser
Filtration: Fluval FX6 Cannister Filter
Substrate: Black Diamond Blasting Sand
Fertilizer: Nilocg EI Based Macro and Micro Dry Fertilizer
Livestock: 12 Male Boesemani Rainbow Fish, 5 Male Turquoise Rainbow Fish, 5 Male Millennium Rainbow Fish, 10 Denison Barbs, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 5 Synodontis Lucipinnis Catfish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100 Gallon June 2020.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	900189  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Resurgent RL3; 06-23-2020 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added Tank Specifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Alright another planted Rainbow tank on the board.

I love it!!

Looks like a great start. Looking forward to hearing more about how you got there, and where you plan to go with it.
Immortal1 and Resurgent RL3 like this.

---
---

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you it's really starting to set in now. Rainbow Fish Gang!! haha. Well I've had my 55 Gallon tank for 3 years now. Shortly after I had my 55 Gallon I knew I wanted to get another tank. One that was bigger around 100 Gallons or so but also 60 inches in length. Since getting into this hobby I've been into planted community tanks. I was still trying to figure out what kind of fish to stock it with. My 55 Gallon was full of smaller fish so I wanted fish that were bigger, active and peaceful for my 100 Gallon but also compatible with plants. Discus fish was something I wanted to do but I started learning more about Rainbow fish. I loved how beautiful they were but what also caught my interest was how active they were. I saw many Rainbow Fish tanks and eventually I came upon your(Greggz) tank and I was in awe at how beautiful it was. From your rainbows to your plants it was an inspiration to me and what I wanted to work towards. Seeing your tank solidified my decision to get into Rainbow Fish. The journey this past year hasn't always been easy. I lost a lot of fish a few months into my 100 Gallon due to a chlorine/chloramine spike in my tap water and due to not quarantining the new bows I added to the tank. It was devastating and really difficult to recover from but I learned from it and kept pressing on. I've now come to the point where I've added CO2 to my tanks. I've been slowly dialing everything in. So far I've just kept easy plants in the tank and have been growing them all enough to fill up the tank. I have a background in the tank that I soon want to remove and paint the back black. I've added a few more plants in there to see how they grow but the goal is to eventually move towards a set up more akin to your tank. Since adding CO2 I've also starting E.I. dosing and so far the results have been great excluding the high nitrates at the end of the week. As I said earlier your tank was the inspiration to starting mine and I dream to one day have it looking as beautiful as yours.
Blue Ridge Reef and Greggz like this.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the kind words.

Tanks have a way of evolving. Now that you have added CO2, you have a lot more options.

Maybe add a few more "difficult" plants every now and then. If things are set up well, you will probably find they aren't that difficult after all.

And like I said, you already have a great start. Tank has a good vibe and plants look nice and healthy. I am sure the Bows are very happy in there.

So take your time and enjoy the journey.....subscribed!

---
---
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am very excited to see what will work in my tank. I added some new plants last week and they look to be transitioning well. Can't wait to post updates on that in the future
Here is a picture of the 100 Gallon in my living room.

Bump:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Living Room.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	900219  

Greggz and zivvel like this.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow, nice setup with chaise lounge right in front of tank. Perfect for drinking a brew or bloodymary and watching tank to relax and wind down from the day.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. I always have a few bottles around for such a thing
Greggz and butchblack like this.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

Tank looks great! All you rainbow tankers are having an influence on me. I've got to get a bigger tank.
Greggz and Resurgent RL3 like this.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks and I know how you feel zivvel. It's only a matter of time become you succumb to the influence as I and others have before lol. Your tanks look great btw.

Feeding time comparison on my 100 Gallon between August 2019 and June 2020

August 2019

June 2020

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Friday Night Wine

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Friday Night Wine .jpg
Views:	28
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	900297  

Greggz likes this.

Last edited by Resurgent RL3; 06-27-2020 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Pic
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

100 Gallon Rainbow Fish Tank Progression

These are all the pictures and videos I have of my Rainbow Fish tank since starting it in May 2019 till the end of 2019.
This is a picture and video from June of 2019. At the time I had a school of Albino Cherry Barbs, several Siamese Algae Eaters and a group of Synodontis Lucipinnis in my 55 Gallon that I transferred to the 100 Gallon after it finished cycling. I also added a school of young Denison Barbs. The plants in the tank consisted of Water Sprite, several species of Anubias, Java Fern and I filled in the front with plastic plants. Filtration at the time consisted of a Fluval Fx6 and three Sponge Filters to provide some cover for my Synodontis Lucipinnis. Light was a 48" Fluval Plant LED 3.0
[IMG]100 Gallon Tank June 2019 [/IMG]

Everything was going well and I decided to begin adding Rainbow Fish to my tank. In early July is when I ordered my first batch of Rainbow Fish. Several Boesemani Rainbows came in soon after, mostly females. Everybody was doing great. In late July is when I ordered my next batch of Rainbow Fish. I ordered several male Boesemani, Turquoise, Millennium, Emerald and Yellow Rainbows. It was then when I was hit with several problems at once. I wasn't quarantining at the time and my 100 Gallon got infested with ich. I began treatment with Ich X medication (always has worked well when I had ich on my 55 Gallon) and a water change every day but I noticed every time I made a water change the fish stressed out even more. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I was dechlorinating the water as usual and temperature matching as I always did but for some reason my fish were stressing and dying. I researched and researched and eventually figured out what the problem was. My water had an unusually high amount of chlorine and chloramines. My water company had added more chlorine that usual to flush the system. I added 3 times the normal dose of Seachem Prime to the new water soon after but by then the damage was done. I had lost all my Albino Cherry Barbs, all my Siamese Algae Eaters (I believe I had 6 in total) except one, a couple of Synodontis Lucipinnis, all my Emerald Rainbows, Yellow Rainbows, several Denison Barbs, Turquoise, Millennium and Boesemani Rainbows. It was devastating. Just typing this right now brings me grief. I learned many hard lessons during that time like to not confide in my tap water and to test it along with the quarantining of all my new fish in my 10 Gallon, etc.

Here is a video of me feeding the survivors in August 2019. Most of the Synodontis Lucipinnis and Denison Barbs survived along with 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 2 Millennium Rainbow, 5 Turquoise Rainbows and several Boesemani Rainbows. I also removed the plastic plants I had in the front and added Jungle Val to the tank in hopes that it would propagate and spread.

I don't really have much footage for the rest of the year. Just three videos of the tank in November 2019 with one being a water change video. You can see how much the Rainbows love the water change and how silly and fun the Millennium Rainbows are.

All in all the 100 Gallon Rainbow Fish tank had a really rough start but things started to look hopeful.
Greggz likes this.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice post showing the evolution of the tank.

Most who have been in the hobby have had a disaster like yours. Writing about it might help someone else down the line.

Looks some nice healthy active Rainbows. Keep the updates coming, and looking forward to seeing what comes next.

---
---
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Beautiful tank. Great job with decor and fish selection. You can tell you did your homework because Denison barbs and Synodontis Lucipinnis are perfect with rainbows. All are active fish who wont stress out the other with all that movement.
Resurgent RL3 likes this.

Amy
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. Always appreciate the feedback from the Experts. I agree Discusluv. I try to do as much research as I can and choose fish that are compatible with each other. Not to mention I love how beautiful the Denison Barbs and the Synodontis Lucipinnis are. I was tempted early on to add Discus as well but I knew they would prefer a tank with a much higher temperature, reduced flow and less activity. I've heard other people have been able to make it work in environments unlike the usual but I wasn't gonna risk it. If I ever get another tank in the future it would probably be a Discus Tank followed by an African Cichlid tank haha
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by Resurgent RL3; 07-02-2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Mistake

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode